Underwater Nanny Cam?

Ty.S44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the purpose of watching my fish whenever I'm bored in class monitoring my tank while I'm away from the house, does anyone know of a waterproof camera capable of live streaming video? Bonus points will be rewarded for referring me to one that won't leave my wallet barren.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many of us, myself included, just use Wyze cameras. Cheap and the work great. They're not underwater, which is not something I'd want anyway (more electricity and metal in the tank to possibly cause an issue).
I use two Wyze cameras: One on the outside to see the tank and one under the tank that can see the entire sump/equipment.

OP
OP
T

Ty.S44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many of us, myself included, just use Wyze cameras. Cheap and the work great. They're not underwater, which is not something I'd want anyway (more electricity and metal in the tank to possibly cause an issue).
I use two Wyze cameras: One on the outside to see the tank and one under the tank that can see the entire sump/equipment.
You make a good point on not putting the camera in the water. The only reason I’d like to is I’m having a hard time finding a place to mount the camera outside the tank since it’s made of wood and has only one viewing panel. Where do you mount yours?

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You make a good point on not putting the camera in the water. The only reason I’d like to is I’m having a hard time finding a place to mount the camera outside the tank since it’s made of wood and has only one viewing panel. Where do you mount yours?
One sits on a piece of furniture in the room looking at the tank. The resolution is high enough that I can zoom in and see individual fish. Mostly I use it just to make sure there isn't a major issue if my Apex or other piece of gear gives me an alarm.
The other camera uses the magnetic mount and sits above the sump looking down at the sump and gear under the tank. The cameras have infrared night vision so they're great to use at any time of day/night.

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is part of my house security system. Cameras also have infrared so I can see in the tank at night.

6F2DDBB8-E861-49D2-B514-07F340B49139.jpeg
33E42843-EF90-4CCD-8F26-28D9052A14CE.jpeg

OP
OP
T

Ty.S44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One sits on a piece of furniture in the room looking at the tank. The resolution is high enough that I can zoom in and see individual fish. Mostly I use it just to make sure there isn't a major issue if my Apex or other piece of gear gives me an alarm.
The other camera uses the magnetic mount and sits above the sump looking down at the sump and gear under the tank. The cameras have infrared night vision so they're great to use at any time of day/night.
First off, I do have to say that is some impressive rockwork. I was also thinking about doing the window mount and sticking it on a corner or one of the sides of the viewing panel. Of course, I'm not sure doing that would give me a great view.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, I do have to say that is some impressive rockwork. I was also thinking about doing the window mount and sticking it on a corner or one of the sides of the viewing panel. Of course, I'm not sure doing that would give me a great view.
Thanks! I'm guessing you're looking at some old pictures of the tank. You can't even see my rocks anymore!

Attachments

• IMG_5694.jpeg
    IMG_5694.jpeg
    287.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_5693.jpeg
    IMG_5693.jpeg
    302.1 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_5692.jpeg
    IMG_5692.jpeg
    278.3 KB · Views: 28

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is it ?

sounds similar to a plywood style system I was going to build years ago. .
My plan was 1500-3000 gal

back on track .
what about a web cam mounted on a wall pointed at the one viewing panel

OP
OP
T

Ty.S44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is it ?

sounds similar to a plywood style system I was going to build years ago. .
My plan was 1500-3000 gal

back on track .
what about a web cam mounted on a wall pointed at the one viewing panel
Sorry for the late reply. Mines only a 180 gallon (49in x 30in x 30in), but yes you’re correct it is a plywood tank. About the wall mount, that could work only my tank is in a bit of an awkward spot where if I did I’d have to have the camera at a slight angle and pretty zoomed in.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 35.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.5%
Back