Underwater refugium lighting

Joe Rice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My refugium always has about a 3" thick mat of caulerpa growing on top. In an attempt to increase its effectiveness I just installed one of those new Tunze waterproof refugium lights under the caulerpa pointing upwards. Fingers crossed!

IMG_20190424_195226.jpg

OP
OP
Joe Rice

Joe Rice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Joe Rice

Joe Rice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only three weeks in and I think I can already declare this a big win. Before I had a 3" mat of caulerpa that was green at the top and faded to white at the bottom. Now I have a 5" thick mat that is dark green throughout. Really feels like I've doubled the effective size of my refugium.

upload_2019-5-14_11-10-29.png

U

User1

View Badges
A full month now and the caulerpa is 6" thick and all the way down to the Tunze light.

upload_2019-5-25_10-52-10.png

Impressive. Reminds me of drinking a real pint of Guinness Beer in Ireland with that nice thick head on it. Almost like you can float a quarter on it.

Do you just toss or do you have any tangs that eat it? Great job though.

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just in case anyone needs these, they are 10% off at Marine Depot right now. I just ordered three.

The recommended coverage area is 14x8 and my refugium is about 17x29, so I’m pushing the coverage a little with only three lights, but I figure that’s better than the zero lights that I have there now.

OP
OP
Joe Rice

Joe Rice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you just toss or do you have any tangs that eat it?

I give it a quick freshwater rinse and then throw it into my compost. I've always been a bit nervous about feeding it to my tangs. Thought I read somewhere that it can be a problem if it starts growing in your display tank.

And now I need to purchase three of these for my fuge. I blame you entirely.

Yeah, I was a bit worried this would happen. If the missus asks, definitely blame me :)

What light do you have on top?

It's the Zetlight E200s on top. Really well built, a great mounting system and great spread but probably could use a bit more intensity. Also found it a hassle that I had to download an app and get the app talking to the light just to check that it was at full intensity (it was). I don't need to control my fuge light - just needs to be full intensity all the time. I'd look at the Kessil H80 now if I was getting a new top light.

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I give it a quick freshwater rinse and then throw it into my compost. I've always been a bit nervous about feeding it to my tangs. Thought I read somewhere that it can be a problem if it starts growing in your display tank.

I wouldn’t worry about that too much tbh. I occasionally pull off a few pieces of caulerpa and throw it in the tank for my tangs and they are gone almost as fast I can put them in the tank. The tangs and even my trigger love them. I don’t think there’s any possibility that it would survive long enough to take hold in the display tank and even if it did I suspect that the tangs would eat it to extinction the minute it started growing.

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lights are here:). I got them installed in my Fuge and scheduled them to match the lighting period of the light on top of the fuge. The light on top is a full spectrum light (It’s a freshwater Radion), so it will be interesting to see how the grow light spectrum on the bottom works.

I recently harvested the algae in my fuge so it’s got plenty of room to grow now.

26cbeb6537f7bb3afadb9b0c17d9bd3a.jpg

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 56 31.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 47 26.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 36 20.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 21.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back