OP
Tristan

Tristan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% whites?? Are you sure??
I mean no disrespect my friend, but they must have been 3ft above water level lol. Especially on a 10g.

Yea. I'm sure. It was right above the tank. 2" at most above the water line. It was mostly a softie tank though.

OP
OP
Tristan

Tristan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bring down your white intensity. I have the same exact lights on my 55g 48" long. Mine are 13 1/2" above water level, brightest time 100% blue 40% white. I have no algae whatsoever. I use to have the same exact issue. My solution was turning the whites down for sure. I have rock work 6" below water level. These lights are powerful, especially the whites!

I've already tried that. I had the whites at 35% and the blues at 50% and it didn't seem to affect the algae whatsoever. It was like that for about 2 weeks

OP
OP
Tristan

Tristan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've dosed 5ml x 10g daily. However it is more effective if you squirt the dose directly on the hair algae with flow turned off for a few minutes. Don't use more than your tanks daily allowance. That's been my experience someone else may have different ideas.

Okay. Thank you

OP
OP
Tristan

Tristan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hhmmm I'd like to see a photo of that lol again please no disrespect, but I would burn coral if I raised my whites from 40 to 60%

It was mostly Kenya tree, anthelia, zoas, and a couple hammers. All the softies grew like they were on steroids

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you try the test that I suggested on the algae? Put a piece of it in a small container or on a plate with a little tank water and a splash of h202? If so, what happened? If not, you really should.

taintstick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was mostly Kenya tree, anthelia, zoas, and a couple hammers. All the softies grew like they were on steroids

I'm still skeptical, but I do believe you.
How's your clean up crew? Sometimes introducing a new set of hermies (haha) will do some good...

OP
OP
Tristan

Tristan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you try the test that I suggested on the algae? Put a piece of it in a small container or on a plate with a little tank water and a splash of h202? If so, what happened? If not, you really should.

I don't have any hydrogen peroxide at the moment. But tomorrow I will see if I have the time to go out and buy some

OP
OP
Tristan

Tristan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still skeptical, but I do believe you.
How's your clean up crew? Sometimes introducing a new set of hermies (haha) will do some good...

I have about 7 astreas, 7 dwarf red legged hermits, 2 turbos, 3 nassarius(the larger species), 1 tuxedo urchin, and some ceriths. I've been meaning to replenish my cleanup crew but I've been waiting for reefcleaners to be back in stock with the abalones

OP
OP
Tristan

Tristan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your set up again?
It's a 25g with a tunze 9004 skimmer. I just received my shipment of the Nyos Nitrate test kit and tested and the result was below 1ppm. I retested the Salifert phosphate as well and I am still not able to see any color change

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any hydrogen peroxide at the moment. But tomorrow I will see if I have the time to go out and buy some
That will be the best thing for you to do. This way you will be positive it is truly GHA and not bryopsis masquerading as it. If it turns white it is GHA and can be treated with h202. If it does not turn white I can help point you in the proper direction on what to do. Bryopsis is a nightmare to most but there is fantastic results on a cure [emoji14]

taintstick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a 25g with a tunze 9004 skimmer. I just received my shipment of the Nyos Nitrate test kit and tested and the result was below 1ppm. I retested the Salifert phosphate as well and I am still not able to see any color change

Hhhmmmm... the mysteries of having salt water tanks!! Lol
I can only think of a couple more things it could be. But I doubt those will be the solution.

taintstick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there was another thread almost exactly like this... lol

OP
OP
Tristan

Tristan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hhhmmmm... the mysteries of having salt water tanks!! Lol
I can only think of a couple more things it could be. But I doubt those will be the solution.

It makes no sense to me. In the 10g my nitrates were up to 15ppm and phosphate 1ppm with no issues

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back