Undetectable Phosphates???

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae eats it before it can register, you don't have any, or testing error.

OP
OP
R

Reeftang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae eats it before it can register, you don't have any, or testing error.
I tested with 2 kits just to confirm? I do not have any major algae issues but I do have green color on the rocks and sand and some very short hair?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many kits cannot read low enough to say you are low enough to restrict algae growth with low phosphate. It needs to be lower than 0.03 ppm (much lower for some species of algae) ,and the error in many kits becomes significant at that level.

OP
OP
R

Reeftang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many kits cannot read low enough to say you are low enough to restrict algae growth with low phosphate. It needs to be lower than 0.03 ppm (much lower for some species of algae) ,and the error in many kits becomes significant at that level.
So how do I treat for it if can't test for it, my nitrates though is at 10-15.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how do I treat for it if can't test for it, my nitrates though is at 10-15.

Some test methods can detect levels to be sure you are not going too low. The Hanna ULR phosphorus checker, for example.

That said, if fighting the algae is the issue, reducing phosphate may not be the best way to go.

OP
OP
R

Reeftang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some test methods can detect levels to be sure you are not going too low. The Hanna ULR phosphorus checker, for example.

That said, if fighting the algae is the issue, reducing phosphate may not be the best way to go.
I did test with the phosphorus Hannah ultra low And that gave me readings somewhere between 0 and 7ppb.

So what would be the right course of action?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did test with the phosphorus Hannah ultra low And that gave me readings somewhere between 0 and 7ppb.

So what would be the right course of action?

0 ppb is too low for corals to thrive. 7 ppb is likely fine.

I would not try to lower phosphate more. Are you doing anything to lower phosphate, such as GFO?

OP
OP
R

Reeftang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0 ppb is too low for corals to thrive. 7 ppb is likely fine.

I would not try to lower phosphate more. Are you doing anything to lower phosphate, such as GFO?
Started gfo few weeks back but stopped it now because I started to carbon dose with nopox.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started gfo few weeks back but stopped it now because I started to carbon dose with nopox.

OK, but I'll just note that reducing nutrients isn't always going to reduce algae before it begins to harm corals. Other methods, such as herbivores, may be more successful. Some green growth on the glass is normal/desirable, IMO.

OP
OP
R

Reeftang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, but I'll just note that reducing nutrients isn't always going to reduce algae before it begins to harm corals. Other methods, such as herbivores, may be more successful. Some green growth on the glass is normal/desirable, IMO.
I do have tangs and snails and hermits, but yet i clearly still have a nutrient issue .

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have tangs and snails and hermits, but yet i clearly still have a nutrient issue .

Well, I think many people are under the mistaken assumption that algae necessarily means a nutrient "problem". Algae needs lots of things, including nutrients, but just because algae grows does not mean nutrients are necessarily too high.

That said, if you can carefully use GFO to intercept the phosphate that comes from food metabolism before the algae gets it, you may be able to reduce the algae growth substantially.

OP
OP
R

Reeftang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I think many people are under the mistaken assumption that algae necessarily means a nutrient "problem". Algae needs lots of things, including nutrients, but just because algae grows does not mean nutrients are necessarily too high.

That said, if you can carefully use GFO to intercept the phosphate that comes from food metabolism before the algae gets it, you may be able to reduce the algae growth substantially.

What about nopox?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about nopox?

Organic carbon dosing, such as NOPOX (or vinegar, etc.), is effective at reducing nitrate and to a lesser extent, phosphate. It is a fine thing to try and see the effect on algae, but I would not assume you will readily eliminate algae until the nutrient levels are quite low.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Reeftang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Organic carbon dosing, such as NOPOX 9or viengar, etc.), is effective at reducing nitrate and to a lesser extent, phosphate. It is a fine thing to try and see the effect on algae, but I would not assume you will readily eliminate algae until the nutrient levels are quite low.
The reason I remove the gfo is because red sea advised me to do do when using nopox. Should I be running both at the same time?

Tbell805

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that I used gfo or phosphate rx when carbon dosing when phosphates start to rise. Like Randy said nitrate reduction typically happens at a much faster rate than phosphate. Once nitrate is low or becomes limited it is tougher to remove phosphate without using gfo or phosphate reduction methods. Personally, I use multiple export methods on my 90 gallon (vinegar dosing, phosphate rx, algae scrubber).

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason I remove the gfo is because red sea advised me to do do when using nopox. Should I be running both at the same time?

You want to be careful to not drive phosphate too low, but many people find that even with organic carbon dosing, GFO is still useful to keep phosphate down.

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the reasoning behind considering nopox if you are getting reading of 0-7? I add phosphate (not just from food but adding it directly-no gfo) daily to keep it off zero. Especially lps really benefit from this.

OP
OP
R

Reeftang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the reasoning behind considering nopox if you are getting reading of 0-7? I add phosphate (not just from food but adding it directly-no gfo) daily to keep it off zero. Especially lps really benefit from this.
I'm honestly confused at this point my tank is clearly having some issue and i can't put my finger on it. I can't keep any sps at all they all die within a week or 2. All my parameters are good.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back