Unexpected Seahorse fry

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
I hit feed mode on the Apex and usually look at the surface and noticed lil black shapes...uh oh, then checked the sock and lo and behold about 40 fry still alive....
...no BBS of course (cooking now tho

In the interim I cupped out what fry I could and snatched some red ogo out of the pod tank, ....everything is in a small tank and about 1/2 gal of tank water....some air....hopefully there might be a morsel in there , but I dunno
...I got some resources: 3 10's with ulva,pods and ogo and 2 cycled 20's empty (used for QT, et)
....any emergency suggestions appreciated
Edited to add..H.Erectus

...mods I was torn: here or the seahorse forum

ProfessorAronnax

Conscientious Marine Aquarist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a friend who's raised this species before. He recommends a sponge filter and something for the fry to hang on to.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a friend who's raised this species before. He recommends a sponge filter and something for the fry to hang on to.
I’ve seen a LFS use links of cable ties where the circumference was around 2”. They wrap their tails around it and can withstand a heavier flow

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Min 10 gallon tank with a sponge filter, low water movement, no sandbed and for food: rotifiers and baby brine shrimp ( preferably live)

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not really all that hard to raise Erectus just a lot of work. I used to feed BBS and then go right to shaved mysis. At first I’d mix mysis and BBS then slowly reduce the amount of brine until they were totally on mysis. I like bird netting as their first hitching post.

Biggest thing for me was keeping the temp as low as possible and tons of nearly 100% water changes. I used 5 gal containers. After a couple batches the enjoyment of raising them wore off for me and I ended up selling my adults as well.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the replies but I started not to bother anyone as I held out little hope but had to try ,,,, things didn’t work out ... :(

You’ll definitely get more chances. They are almost always pregnant once they reach breeding age. If I ever keep them again I wouldn’t get both sexes just because it was kind of depressing seeing all of the babies die on batches when I wasn’t up to raising them.

OP
OP
Doctorgori

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for some reason I never saw the alerts on this thread....:(
It’s not really all that hard to raise Erectus just a lot of work. I used to feed BBS and then go right to shaved mysis. At first I’d mix mysis and BBS then slowly reduce the amount of brine until they were totally on mysis. I like bird netting as their first hitching post.

Biggest thing for me was keeping the temp as low as possible and tons of nearly 100% water changes. I used 5 gal containers. After a couple batches the enjoyment of raising them wore off for me and I ended up selling my adults as well.

I got a small green house too hot for plants in June but not for bubbling green water, brine shrimp or rotifers :)
I got seahorses since my summertime basement temps don't climb above 75

Back