Unexpected tank upgrade today

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the wife and I went to my LFS today to get some salt and look around. Unknowingly, while we were inside, another customer was negotiating a deal with the owner of the store to buy his complete used setup. He moved in from out of state or something and for whatever reason was getting rid of all of it. The owner of the lfs came inside the store rolling in a 180 gallon tank and saying if anyone wants a complete system he would make a great deal on it so he does not have to clean it, store it and etc.

Well we checked it over and a deal was made. I don’t have it in my possession yet as he is going to leak test it for me, but he is going to deliver it this week.
for $1500 I think I scored.
-180 gallon tank with synergy overflow and dual returns with screen tops. 6’x2’x2’
- tall stand with side and front doors
- All equipment and test kits etc
- t5/led hybrid lights
- octo skimmer
- 44 trigger sump
-new in box clarisea filter roller and extra rolls
-2 maxpect gyre pumps
- and several more boxes I didn’t even go through full of gear.
I’m excited! I have a waterbox 65.4 aio and I’ve been looking to upgrade to a bigger tank I just didn’t expect it today!

I was so mind blown I didn’t get any pics but one, but I’ll update with a new build thread soon.

3721BD4A-F9AC-4E23-A84B-01303B3DE56A.jpeg

OP
OP
mrpontiac80

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You totally scored. The tank alone could run that much.
Yeah I’m pretty happy. There are quite a few scratches on the glass but hopefully after a good cleaning and some elbow grease they won’t be too bad when filled with water. Worst case, the LfS owner told me I could keep everything for the price we came to and he quoted me a great deal on a new planet aquarium tank. I could resale the other one and some gear I may not even use and still come out very much ahead. It’s basically gonna come down cosmetics and my ocd:)

OP
OP
mrpontiac80

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds great, pleased for you and can’t wait to see it come back to life with you and your wife.
Thank you. I’m hoping it cleans up real nice. The worst part about it at the moment is the cost of more rock. That stuff is as much as a tank!

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I’m hoping it cleans up real nice. The worst part about it at the moment is the cost of more rock. That stuff is as much as a tank!
I know how you feel. When I loaded up my 150gallon display I got about 200lbs of rock. About made me cry paying that much for rock.

OP
OP
mrpontiac80

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know how you feel. When I loaded up my 150gallon display I got about 200lbs of rock. About made me cry paying that much for rock.
It’s crazy for sure…. Years ago, I never thought I’d be buying rock for and playing water chemist.
turns out the tank did clean up nicely but since I’m particular and this is the dream tank (size) for me, I’m trying to sell the tank and use some of the gear and stand. Just want that perfect glass tank so I only do this once unless I change sizes.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a great deal. I got my 90 from a local for $100 with sump. Then found a stand from a local for $100.

But a LFS is selling a watebox 220 (with EVERYTHING) for $2k but i hate the look of the modern tanks.

OP
OP
mrpontiac80

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a great deal. I got my 90 from a local for $100 with sump. Then found a stand from a local for $100.

But a LFS is selling a watebox 220 (with EVERYTHING) for $2k but i hate the look of the modern tanks.
Yeah, the tank made me pause just because it was not 100% what I wanted in terms of glass condition but everything else more than made it a good deal

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turns out the tank did clean up nicely but since I’m particular and this is the dream tank (size) for me, I’m trying to sell the tank and use some of the gear and stand. Just want that perfect glass tank so I only do this once unless I change sizes.
Agreed. My redsea Max s-650 tank was bought second hand with a few tiny scratches but I was ok with it because of the money savings. Id like a newer tank at some point but this one will be fine for a few years.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 45 34.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 41 31.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back