Unhappy LPS and Zoas during fallow period

Fishrocker1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys,

I recently set up a qt tank to deal with an ich outbreak in my Red Sea 250. Since then I've noticed that many of my Lps corals such as my torches and trachyphyllia have not been extending their polyps nearly as far as they have in the past. My zoas have also been affected with many of them looking smaller than usual. All the corals mentioned have also looked duller than usual too. During this time I have also left my 240DC Simplicity Skimmer running which hasn't collected much with very clear skimmate and notably less foam forming in the chamber. My Nitrates and Phosphates are also undetectable which leads me to believe that the skimmer may have been removing the nutrients without allowing it to replenish due to the absence of fish. My SPS look unfazed which further supports my suspicion as they typically like cleaner water. Any ideas on how to correct this issue without doing anything too drastic?

Last edited:

fishski13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You basically answered your own question. With the fallow period you were no feeding at all or no where near close enough compared to the time with fish. This meant all the nitrate and phosphate was pulled out by the corals and skimmers. And lps and zoas need nitrate and phosphate present in water to grow and be happy. They are at the lack of nutrients right now. I would start to feed a little and turn off skimmer until fish are back

OP
OP
Fishrocker1

Fishrocker1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You basically answered your own question. With the fallow period you were no feeding at all or no where near close enough compared to the time with fish. This meant all the nitrate and phosphate was pulled out by the corals and skimmers. And lps and zoas need nitrate and phosphate present in water to grow and be happy. They are at the lack of nutrients right now. I would start to feed a little and turn off skimmer until fish are back
I have turned off the skimmer figuring it was contributing to the problem. Do you think I should still feed mysis in order to maintain nitrates and phosphates? I'm really trying to find a solution for the issue rather than trying to figure out what's going on. I don't like the fact that my nitrates and phosphates are undetectable.

fishski13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have turned off the skimmer figuring it was contributing to the problem. Do you think I should still feed mysis in order to maintain nitrates and phosphates? I'm really trying to find a solution for the issue rather than trying to figure out what's going on. I don't like the fact that my nitrates and phosphates are undetectable.
Yes I would either feed the mysis or some kind of lps powder or pellet food that will directly feed the corals but also add nitrate and phosphate increase. Probably combination of both. But I wouldnt do it in very large increments or everyday. You dont want to skyrocket your nutrients very fast.

OP
OP
Fishrocker1

Fishrocker1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I’ll give it a shot. I was also thinking of getting a small bottle of esv nitrate to have on hand to make it through the fallow period.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I don't feed my zoas daily with Amino Acids... they suffer and die
Screenshot_20230208_223639_Gallery.jpg

OP
OP
Fishrocker1

Fishrocker1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I don't feed my zoas daily with Amino Acids... they suffer and die
Screenshot_20230208_223639_Gallery.jpg
Funny you mention this. I’ve been dosing Red Sea AB+ at the ultra low nutrients dosing recommendation and haven’t really noticed a difference. How often would you say you dose it?

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny you mention this. I’ve been dosing Red Sea AB+ at the ultra low nutrients dosing recommendation and haven’t really noticed a difference. How often would you say you dose it?
Around 5ml every night before lights go out. I turn off skimmer thru Apex for a couple of hours as well.

My Acans and Zoas are fleshier bc of RE... additional growth, eeeeh maybe. But definitely fleshier corals that do exist

Definitely worth the roughly $15/month to dose it

OP
OP
Fishrocker1

Fishrocker1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Around 5ml every night before lights go out. I turn off skimmer thru Apex for a couple of hours as well.

My Acans and Zoas are fleshier bc of RE... additional growth, eeeeh maybe. But definitely fleshier corals that do exist

Definitely worth the roughly $15/month to dose it
I'll try to stick to it then. I'd honestly be happy if, within the next week, I could get up to a nitrate level of 5 ppm. I know patients is key with this type of stuff. I just hate seeing my corals looking so unhappy.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back