OP
jackson6745

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a while since I updated this thread. This coral has been a PITA. I lost color on it for a couple of months due to a branch shifting and the coral losing direct light. It NEEDS bright direct light to keep the red highlights. I was able to rescape and get this coral directly under the halide. It is coloring up fast, regaining all the red. The good thing is that this coral has grown very large. It's about 7"-8" very branched. I spread this coral to local tanks and 2 out of 6 tanks are holding color. Halide seems to be king. I am recovering from a pectoral tear trying to be hercules in the gym and will be keeping my hands out of the tank for a while. Once I heal up I will frag it some more.

IMG_0431 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

IMG_0429 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

IMG_0428 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

OP
OP
jackson6745

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's gotten too large to capture the whole coral from the top down and from the side it's hard to capture all the colors. I'll take a top down video so you can see it from all angles.

SCMatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still looks great! Its good that its growing well enough to spread frags. Hope it continues that way, I'd love to get a piece eventually! Has anyone that gotten a frag tried it under LEDs yet or just MH?

OP
OP
jackson6745

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still looks great! Its good that its growing well enough to spread frags. Hope it continues that way, I'd love to get a piece eventually! Has anyone that gotten a frag tried it under LEDs yet or just MH?

So far no luck under LED. 2 guy tried so far with no success. Just MH for now. I lost touch with one guys under T5's so I'm not sure about that.

OP
OP
jackson6745

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You sure it lost color? Looks better then ever

Lost all red for 2 months. I was pretty bummed out but It's coming back. I didn't think the direct light was so important but i was wrong.

thats what i was thinking. ! that thing is fuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrryyyyy. ! love it. jackson i needa come by one of these days and droll on your hardwood floors lol ,

Rob, come by whenever :)

kingator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
come on im running mh over here lololol i think i can keep that red going lol

Rob&Gab

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you got it bud, ill be over as soon as i got some time on my hands. your not that far from me.

im gonna be running MH 400W and 250W very very shortly. im sure it will hold color under the right spectrum T5 combo under a good fixture and output. water quality is deff key too.

OP
OP
jackson6745

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
come on im running mh over here lololol i think i can keep that red going lol
;) No worries
you got it bud, ill be over as soon as i got some time on my hands. your not that far from me.

im gonna be running MH 400W and 250W very very shortly. im sure it will hold color under the right spectrum T5 combo under a good fixture and output. water quality is deff key too.

Absolutely. I had the same lighting over my old tank and never got this color. The nutrient balance in the new tank brought out the change. It is important to have a decent amount of nitrates, with not too high po4 to keep this color IME

ssdawood

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My frag has lost all the red. It is directly under led powermodule. I am also running low nutrients. My nitrates are 0.75 and phosphates are 0.018.
Rich even the mshur red table is loosing its intense red coloration.

I am going to try to raise the nutrients up and lower the lights. If it still doesnt color up I will put the frag up for trade. I would still like to keep a piece of it though. It is still the great Jackson special lol.

OP
OP
jackson6745

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My frag has lost all the red. It is directly under led powermodule. I am also running low nutrients. My nitrates are 0.75 and phosphates are 0.018.
Rich even the mshur red table is loosing its intense red coloration.

I am going to try to raise the nutrients up and lower the lights. If it still doesnt color up I will put the frag up for trade. I would still like to keep a piece of it though. It is still the great Jackson special lol.

Crap! Your lights are very bright. The best colors under the LED power module that I have ever seen was in reefoman's tank. You wouldn't believe what his nutrient level was LOL. PO4 was .35 and no3 around 100ppm… Seriously if he still has his SPS tank going I would bet anything that he would have intense color on this coral or kill it right away. IMO his nutrient level was way too high though. His survival rate was poor, but the stuff that settled in look freaking amazing. Blew my colors away! There is a happy medium that we all strive to find. Some guys like pastel, some like deep colors.
IMO definitely lower your intensity, possible shorten your photoperiod. That table is pretty easy to keep red and should return colors quick with the right balance.

ssdawood

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The table lost its intense red because of low nitrates. I think high nutrients in your tank help it to keep red intense color. I could be wrong and have my lights intense. I used a par meter and on sandbed I got 350.

By the way the frag you gave me is huge. One can easily make four frags out of it. Thanks for generosity. It means a lot. I get a huge frag when whole r2 r is waiting.

I havent given up yet. I am catching the wrasee tonight. Stocking more fishes and target phosphates 0.02 and nitrates 25.

OP
OP
jackson6745

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL I don't give booger frags :) I get 350 par halfway down in my 26" high tank. Your ATI LED is a lot bright than my halide, t5, reefbrite lighting scheme.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 29.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back