Unique livestock options

MakoManc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m getting ready to stock my Waterbox 20 but I’m still undecided on what fish to get. Im going for an SPS dominant mixed reef, Im wanting something that’s a little out of the ordinary. I was looking into the mimic Blacksaddle filefish but after reading more about them it doesn’t seem like they would be safe with my coral.

What are some unique fish options that would work in a 20 gallon?

Any information and experience is greatly appreciated!

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well then, not terribly original, but there would be a lot of wrasses to choose from. Whatever you do, don't go for anything from the puffer family---even the ones that are supposedly reef-safe with caution. Cool looking fish, but they can make short work of coral

Cheeze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20 gallons kind of limits you, but check out some options in the below link.
Other idea may be to have only 1 type of fish (like a cardinal, small percula or ocellaris clown) but many of them, making a harem?

OP
OP
MakoManc

MakoManc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well then, not terribly original, but there would be a lot of wrasses to choose from. Whatever you do, don't go for anything from the puffer family---even the ones that are supposedly reef-safe with caution. Cool looking fish, but they can make short work of coral
Thanks for the suggestions!
Do you think a McCosker's flasher wrasse would work in this 20 gallon? Or are the six line, pink streaked and possum wrasse the only options? I’ve seen other people on here keep them in a tank that size but the information I’ve read online suggests you need to have a bigger tank.

captain_jimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the suggestions!
Do you think a McCosker's flasher wrasse would work in this 20 gallon? Or are the six line, pink streaked and possum wrasse the only options? I’ve seen other people on here keep them in a tank that size but the information I’ve read online suggests you need to have a bigger tank.
I have a McCoskers and he's super active, swims back and forth around my entire 90g DT constantly.

captain_jimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a McCoskers and he's super active, swims back and forth around my entire 90g DT constantly.
Oh one more thing, if you do get wrasse make sure.you have a lid.

I cracked mine to scoop something out with a tool and my McCoskers leapt out through a 1" gap at the back and behind my tank.

I was lucky enough that when I tried to get him out he flipped into the net and I got him back in the tank in around a minute so he survives, but they are pretty insane jumpers.

Back