Unique Stand Question

ajfarley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m considering buying a tank/stand from a local person in town. $5000 investment for about 15-20k worth of value.

Major concern is they smoke like chimneys, and I’m nervous I won’t be able to get that smell out of the stand and have my room smell like cigarettes. Any suggestions on if this would be fine and easy to get out or if I’m right and it’s going to stay in that stand forever?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m considering buying a tank/stand from a local person in town. $5000 investment for about 15-20k worth of value.

Major concern is they smoke like chimneys, and I’m nervous I won’t be able to get that smell out of the stand and have my room smell like cigarettes. Any suggestions on if this would be fine and easy to get out or if I’m right and it’s going to stay in that stand forever?
It the prices are as you say I wouldn't hesitate. I'd be more focused on condition of the tank. Smoke remediation from building fires happen all the time. Dealing with Marlboro shouldn't be an issue.

OP
OP
A

ajfarley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It the prices are as you say I wouldn't hesitate. I'd be more focused on condition of the tank. Smoke remediation from building fires happen all the time. Dealing with Marlboro shouldn't be an issue.
Here’s the tank what would you estimate value at if you don’t mind me asking

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah smoke clings to soft materials way more than hard ones. I wouldn't worry about the smell, just clean it up really well before bringing it into your house and it will be fine.

If really concerned you can use ozone machine. tent the stand and run ozone that should clear up any lingering smells

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't pay $5000 for any used setup. For that kind of money, you can buy something new with a warranty.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 27 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.8%
Back