Unknown disease killing fish

TheStripedHermit

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 2, 2020
Messages
23
Reaction score
6
What state or country do you live in
United Kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When the fish enters the tank it is perfectly healthy and eating regularly however its appetite slowly begins to go down until it stops eating, this is noticeable after two weeks. By around the third it starts flashing against rocks and erratically swimming all over the tank causing bruises and loud banging sounds. A month after the fish is put in it dies.

It seems that it could be gill flukes of some sort yet when I give the fish a freshwater dip nothing comes off of the body. I even treated the tank with prazipro four times in accordance with the instructions so at this point I'm straight up thinking of starting the tank over or doing hyposalinity to kill off everything.

On top of this my urchin starved to death when the tank was littered in algea despite paremeters being where they should be.

If you have any advice please let me know as I have no idea whats going on anymore
 
Are all your parameters being tested? I know this is a simple question but many overlook the simple possibilities.
 
We need a bit more info. Could you post your current parameters, temp and salinity? How many fish have died so far? What fish are still alive in your tank? Are you noticing any aggression towards the new fish?
 
Sorry for the late reply everyone, I completely forgot I made this thread and I didn't think I'd get so many responses so thanks a ton
We need a bit more info. Could you post your current parameters, temp and salinity? How many fish have died so far? What fish are still alive in your tank? Are you noticing any aggression towards the new fish?
Calcium: 420
Alkalinity: 12
Magnesium: 1280
Salinity: 1.024ppm
Nitrate: 0
Ph: 8.0
Temperature: 24.5-24.6°c
Fish that have died are a midas blenny, a clownfish and another midas blenny. Currently there are no fish in the tank other than a thin striped hermit and a xenia which are both doing just fine
Are all your parameters being tested? I know this is a simple question but many overlook the simple possibilities.
All but nitrite, ammonia, phosphates and trace elements
if you believe its a parasite leaving your tank empty for 6-8 weeks could be the answer
I'm doing that currently since its much less hassle than doing anything else and I'll be doing it for 12 weeks just to be sure that its fully dead since I heard some strains live on longer
 
Sorry for the late reply everyone, I completely forgot I made this thread and I didn't think I'd get so many responses so thanks a ton
We need a bit more info. Could you post your current parameters, temp and salinity? How many fish have died so far? What fish are still alive in your tank? Are you noticing any aggression towards the new fish?
Calcium: 420
Alkalinity: 12
Magnesium: 1280
Salinity: 1.024ppm
Nitrate: 0
Ph: 8.0
Temperature: 24.5-24.6°c
Fish that have died are a midas blenny, a clownfish and another midas blenny. Currently there are no fish in the tank other than a thin striped hermit and a xenia which are both doing just fine
Are all your parameters being tested? I know this is a simple question but many overlook the simple possibilities.
All but nitrite, ammonia, phosphates and trace elements
if you believe its a parasite leaving your tank empty for 6-8 weeks could be the answer
I'm doing that currently since its much less hassle than doing anything else and I'll be doing it for 12 weeks just to be sure that its fully dead since I heard some strains
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 8 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 8 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new