Unknown disease killing fish

TheStripedHermit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When the fish enters the tank it is perfectly healthy and eating regularly however its appetite slowly begins to go down until it stops eating, this is noticeable after two weeks. By around the third it starts flashing against rocks and erratically swimming all over the tank causing bruises and loud banging sounds. A month after the fish is put in it dies.

It seems that it could be gill flukes of some sort yet when I give the fish a freshwater dip nothing comes off of the body. I even treated the tank with prazipro four times in accordance with the instructions so at this point I'm straight up thinking of starting the tank over or doing hyposalinity to kill off everything.

On top of this my urchin starved to death when the tank was littered in algea despite paremeters being where they should be.

If you have any advice please let me know as I have no idea whats going on anymore

Farfrumugen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are all your parameters being tested? I know this is a simple question but many overlook the simple possibilities.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We need a bit more info. Could you post your current parameters, temp and salinity? How many fish have died so far? What fish are still alive in your tank? Are you noticing any aggression towards the new fish?

OP
OP
TheStripedHermit

TheStripedHermit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the late reply everyone, I completely forgot I made this thread and I didn't think I'd get so many responses so thanks a ton
We need a bit more info. Could you post your current parameters, temp and salinity? How many fish have died so far? What fish are still alive in your tank? Are you noticing any aggression towards the new fish?
Calcium: 420
Alkalinity: 12
Magnesium: 1280
Salinity: 1.024ppm
Nitrate: 0
Ph: 8.0
Temperature: 24.5-24.6°c
Fish that have died are a midas blenny, a clownfish and another midas blenny. Currently there are no fish in the tank other than a thin striped hermit and a xenia which are both doing just fine
Are all your parameters being tested? I know this is a simple question but many overlook the simple possibilities.
All but nitrite, ammonia, phosphates and trace elements
if you believe its a parasite leaving your tank empty for 6-8 weeks could be the answer
I'm doing that currently since its much less hassle than doing anything else and I'll be doing it for 12 weeks just to be sure that its fully dead since I heard some strains live on longer

OP
OP
TheStripedHermit

TheStripedHermit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the late reply everyone, I completely forgot I made this thread and I didn't think I'd get so many responses so thanks a ton
Calcium: 420
Alkalinity: 12
Magnesium: 1280
Salinity: 1.024ppm
Nitrate: 0
Ph: 8.0
Temperature: 24.5-24.6°c
Fish that have died are a midas blenny, a clownfish and another midas blenny. Currently there are no fish in the tank other than a thin striped hermit and a xenia which are both doing just fine
All but nitrite, ammonia, phosphates and trace elements
if you believe its a parasite leaving your tank empty for 6-8 weeks could be the answer
I'm doing that currently since its much less hassle than doing anything else and I'll be doing it for 12 weeks just to be sure that its fully dead since I heard some strains

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 41.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 21.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back