Unknown Snail ID Help

Your best bet is probably manual removal. Might be a long battle....wish we could get a positive id on these sps munchers.
 
It's a whelk, for me:

http://www.melevsreef.com/articles/whelk-versus-nassarius

whelk-blurred.jpg


Best regards
 
Any suggestions on life cycle or anything? I’ve tried searching at night since I’ve discovered they’re more active then. I’ve removed around 30 since the beginning of this debacle. Every night I keep an eye out, except when I work nights. Seems to be when they do most of their damage (while I’m gone). I found a spot on my pocillopora where one snail ( who I caught ) had munched a 1x1 cm square. :mad:
 
I'd try to put them in a trap, of the right size, of course, but it looks like this:
upload_2017-12-13_21-3-10.jpeg

They are not quick and have good sense of smell; an already rotten shrimp (or other bait), wrapped in acrylic blanket and left in the center of the net, could attract them. Leave the bait trap for about 4 hours, overnight, and pick them all up.

Best regards
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.5%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 16 28.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 33.3%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 10.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.3%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 12.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new