*Unofficial* Mini Complete Tank Contest

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of us that are waiting on a tank to be delivered a month or more from now would someone mind posting some good specs and close ups so we can get an idea what to gather. I'm interested in the over flow and return area personally bottom of the tank as well if anyone has the time.
Here's a few pictures

Attachments

• 20210829_133011.jpg
    20210829_133011.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 42
  • 20210829_133004.jpg
    20210829_133004.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 20210829_132759.jpg
    20210829_132759.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 42
  • 20210829_132734.jpg
    20210829_132734.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 46
  • 20210829_132629.jpg
    20210829_132629.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 20210829_132624.jpg
    20210829_132624.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 20210829_132553.jpg
    20210829_132553.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 47
  • 20210829_132546.jpg
    20210829_132546.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 42

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
;DrowningMine it's a flex 123 so around 40x80.
I actually love the fluval light that comes with it but for a very similar price I will get almost twice as much power. I know watts and PAR are not the same thing but for the same length the fluval light has around 42W while the led above has 84W. Also lumens are much more. And it has water cooling (?! Not sure what that means)

Contest time is 12 months.
Is there any chance you can set it back up at the new location? Disbanding the tank early will take you out of the running for winning the grand prize, but you can still compete for best tank in the time you have!

Nice scape and the corals all look great! I like the idea of no sand for ease of cleaning.

However,
This is an example of what will get you DISCALIFIED if you attempt to cheat the game in this way. The contest is about growing corals in the mini complete tank, not who can put together the best display photo tank in an hour. Seeding rock in the display is okay, and so is holding corals, but everyone please refrain from a plug and play scape.

@Maddlesrain No way . 4800+ miles, 6 time zones, and half the Pacific ocean or way more likely. Hawaii to DC or abroad.

Last edited:

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a really nice escape. I have found super glue gel works really well to. I do this exact same thing roughly. Make one big piece, no sand and remove all for water change.

You could leave in main until pictures but this is to grow it in the mini and see how it all turns out. But getting it into another tank to seed and let corals grow before competition is a good idea as well. How long did it take for the zoas to colonize for you?

Most of those zoanthids were that size when I put them on. They were trimmings from my main tank. I don't think they grown much during in the tank. They just remain how they were. This tank is not fed for obvious reason and that gives a really hard time for their growth.

To really grow them, it will need frequent feeding, and water change right after.

Let it grow in a bigger tank and only put it in for picture is probably not allowed. But it will be very very difficult to proof if someone actually doing that. Especially if it's put in for a couple days to settle in before pictures. Not really my problem since I'm not joining the contest.

But that make me think, I might as well build another couple scapes in my frag system. Maybe one with lps and one with sps. Every week when I do water change I can swap it out.

Oh, another tip, prepare some algae eater in there. Mine was overrun by algae till I put a small hermit crab and a couple stomatella. Not feeding didn't help in algae control.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,
Sorry for the delay in response. I absolutely think inviting more people in from NR and making a small buy-in pot are great ideas. You can also order a tank off of AliExpress (and they're about half the price), which I'm going to do! Everyone has to start with the MCT because it makes the playing field more fair and I think it will be a fun and unique challenge. If the ordering process takes longer, and to get more people in on this little contest, we can push back the start date until October-ish if that sounds good to everyone. Please chime in if you are game or not here so we can get a rough head count. Thanks!
I am so in on this. Sorry for being late to the party.

OP
OP
Maddlesrain

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Maddlesrain No way . 4800+ miles, 6 time zones, and half the Pacific ocean or way more likely. Hawaii to DC or abroad.
Gotcha. You are still welcome to join us for the fun of having the small tank running; it will take you out of the running for the prize, but we'd love to have you along for the journey if you still want to play!
Most of those zoanthids were that size when I put them on. They were trimmings from my main tank. I don't think they grown much during in the tank. They just remain how they were. This tank is not fed for obvious reason and that gives a really hard time for their growth.

To really grow them, it will need frequent feeding, and water change right after.

Let it grow in a bigger tank and only put it in for picture is probably not allowed. But it will be very very difficult to proof if someone actually doing that. Especially if it's put in for a couple days to settle in before pictures. Not really my problem since I'm not joining the contest.

But that make me think, I might as well build another couple scapes in my frag system. Maybe one with lps and one with sps. Every week when I do water change I can swap it out.

Oh, another tip, prepare some algae eater in there. Mine was overrun by algae till I put a small hermit crab and a couple stomatella. Not feeding didn't help in algae control.
It will definitely be interesting to see how well things grow, and figuring out what generates more success. That's a good tip on keeping a small invertebrate for algae consumption as well.

I'm going to attempt to feed mine as I'm hoping to keep sun corals, but we'll see how that plays out! Lol

As a note to everyone: All contest grow-out must be done in the MCT. NO SWAPPING FOR PHOTO OPS.
I hope everyone will have integrity and enjoy the challenge of working with the small tank. Again, starting with clippings from a separate display, or seeding rockwork, is 100% acceptable to begin.

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill be posting pics as well, but I will not be allowed to participate as mine is already running. The key will be who keeps it up after lol. Currently have diatoms and algae. I have added copepods and looking to add baby snail or 2, mysis shrimp and maybe one asterina starfish for main and sump since these guys will split off.

OP
OP
Maddlesrain

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill be posting pics as well, but I will not be allowed to participate as mine is already running. The key will be who keeps it up after lol. Currently have diatoms and algae. I have added copepods and looking to add baby snail or 2, mysis shrimp and maybe one asterina starfish for main and sump since these guys will split off.
I'm hoping to keep mine up for as long as possible lol I'm also interested in who will continue with their MCT after the contest closes, and how many people make it to the finish line haha

Sorry if I missed it, are you running the light the tank came with or did you decide on something else? Curious because you have the sps in there what your plans are.

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm hoping to keep mine up for as long as possible lol I'm also interested in who will continue with their MCT after the contest closes, and how many people make it to the finish line haha

Sorry if I missed it, are you running the light the tank came with or did you decide on something else? Curious because you have the sps in there what your plans are.
Im running the stock light. Currently on the 2nd brightness. It would have bleached my beach bum, scolly and the other sps if I left it on the highest. Beach bum is back in main pico. I eventually may swap out a couple leds for deeper blues but seeing how this does.

OP
OP
Maddlesrain

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im running the stock light. Currently on the 2nd brightness. It would have bleached my beach bum, scolly and the other sps if I left it on the highest. Beach bum is back in main pico. I eventually may swap out a couple leds for deeper blues but seeing how this does.
Gotcha, I'm also thinking I might do something supplemental for color. Do you plan to put the beach bum back in? What other sps do you have in there? I'm really interested in how sps growth works out for you!

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha, I'm also thinking I might do something supplemental for color. Do you plan to put the beach bum back in? What other sps do you have in there? I'm really interested in how sps growth works out for you!
I actually have a thread for this tank. I dont want to post alot of specifics as much as I have on my tank here as to take the thread over lol. More or less to help people get started. I am just starting this myself. I think sps will be ok but will need a little more water changes do to the trace element intake. You can look at my profile and find the build as well. Corals are all listed. Beach bum more than likely wont go back. Want to keep variety and keep space for growth. I do want to add one more lps corals though.

OP
OP
Maddlesrain

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually have a thread for this tank. I dont want to post alot of specifics as much as I have on my tank here as to take the thread over lol. More or less to help people get started. I am just starting this myself. I think sps will be ok but will need a little more water changes do to the trace element intake. You can look at my profile and find the build as well. Corals are all listed. Beach bum more than likely wont go back. Want to keep variety and keep space for growth. I do want to add one more lps corals though.
Lol I'll checkout your thread! I saw it floating around on here before.

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In case anyone is still looking.

On minicompletetanks official site https://minicompletetank.com/

Their official USA Partner with online retail is

I contacted them today and they confirmed they had it in stock. Since they ship from Georgia I'm switching my order through them since it's shipped within the U.S.

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In case anyone is still looking.

On minicompletetanks official site https://minicompletetank.com/

Their official USA Partner with online retail is

I contacted them today and they confirmed they had it in stock. Since they ship from Georgia I'm switching my order through them since it's shipped within the U.S.
NVM misread.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 71 30.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 65 28.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 49 21.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 45 19.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back