Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wah, wah, wahhhhhhhhh

1630117260770.png
'

Where are you guys buying from?

Maybe it's not too late.
Sorry to see that. Hopefully you can grab another quick.

OP
OP
Maddlesrain

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wah, wah, wahhhhhhhhh

1630117260770.png
'

Where are you guys buying from?

Maybe it's not too late.
It looks like you already got yours from Aliexpress, but if not, that's where I got mine! It hasn't arrived yet, but I've always had success ordering from them in the past.
I caved I'm in, "water being in my tank by oct 31st" might be a pic of a water bottle sitting in the tank I opened the box for just to take the pic, but I'll be catching up by the end of November.
Glad you're joining us! Starting the cycling process wouldn't be a bad idea, and these tanks are so small, they're easy to move.
This used to be mine before I took it down. Zoa's and xenia were actually growing. I eventually took it down because I made a custom glass half gallon tank

This looked really cool! Im also glad to hear your corals were growing. How long did you have it setup for? Do you have a pic of the custom tank?

AdamD76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The original website has them on sale for ~$68 and Ali/Ebay are around ~$55 or so. I think I've been spoiled by local Craigslist reefing and that's about what I paid for my full 20 gallon. If they were like $25-30 I'd grab one in a heartbeat.
I paid $45 total on aliexpress.

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got confirmation we're gonna have orders and move for a new duty station by July at the latest.

How long is this contest gonna run? 6 months, 9 months, 12 months?

Got mine from the MCT tank site.

Bought one on eBay and the seller has just let the transaction sit. I'm just gonna leave it in paid status until the seller takes the hit for fail to ship the file back charge though PayPal. If I request the refund the seller gets away scot-free.

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested to see a contest about it. I have this going for many months now.
PXL_20210624_185448798.jpg

My top tip is to make the rockscape as one single piece. It's pretty easy with NSA building technique, superglue with accelerator.
PXL_20201231_094232674.jpg
And no sand. That way, water change will be simply take the scape out, or not, and pour the whole tank out then fill it back in.

The best way to start the tank is, after the single piece rockscape is built, mount all kinds of corals in it, then put it in your display to let them settle in and grow in, then put it into the mini tank.

If I'm serious in winning the contest, I can just leave it in my main tank. Took it out to the mini tank to take a picture once a month.

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My top tip is to make the rockscape as one single piece. It's pretty easy with NSA building technique, superglue with accelerator.
And no sand. That way, water change will be simply take the scape out, or not, and pour the whole tank out then fill it back in.

The best way to start the tank is, after the single piece rockscape is built, mount all kinds of corals in it, then put it in your display to let them settle in and grow in, then put it into the mini tank.

If I'm serious in winning the contest, I can just leave it in my main tank. Took it out to the mini tank to take a picture once a month.
That is a really nice escape. I have found super glue gel works really well to. I do this exact same thing roughly. Make one big piece, no sand and remove all for water change.

You could leave in main until pictures but this is to grow it in the mini and see how it all turns out. But getting it into another tank to seed and let corals grow before competition is a good idea as well. How long did it take for the zoas to colonize for you?

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got confirmation we're gonna have orders and move for a new duty station by July at the latest.

Bought one on eBay and the seller has just let the transaction sit. I'm just gonna leave it in paid status until the seller takes the hit for fail to ship the file back charge though PayPal. If I request the refund the seller gets away scot-free.
This will be from what I read 12 months.

If you just ordered from mct site, there is another version of the light they have with UV. You might be able to contact them through instagram or other means and ask for that version if you like to. I dont know how well UV will do on small tank being that close. These leds are fairly strong.

OP
OP
Maddlesrain

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Contest time is 12 months.
Is there any chance you can set it back up at the new location? Disbanding the tank early will take you out of the running for winning the grand prize, but you can still compete for best tank in the time you have!

Nice scape and the corals all look great! I like the idea of no sand for ease of cleaning.

However,
This is an example of what will get you DISCALIFIED if you attempt to cheat the game in this way. The contest is about growing corals in the mini complete tank, not who can put together the best display photo tank in an hour. Seeding rock in the display is okay, and so is holding corals, but everyone please refrain from a plug and play scape.

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ANNOUNCEMENT!!
@REEFTIDE has been generous enough to sponsor this contest and offer up a $100 gift card to their site to the winner of this contest!! THANK YOU @REEFTIDE for taking an interest in this little contest, it's very appreciated!!
That's awesome! Thank you so much for your support @REEFTIDE!

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This morning I ordered the cunzo mini heater. My room temps fluctuate a lot right now, so this will be a must have. This morning the test tank was a brisk 64, and at highest yesterday was 76. The description says it's thermostatically controlled, so I'll have to test and see.

I also ordered some clip on filters for taking better photos with my phone. Blue lights are so hard to take photos with!!

So yes, very excited. Also toying with the idea of adding vinyl to the back, not sure on color yet, and maybe designing a vinyl decal I can add to the bottom, maybe a contest logo? "MCT Challenge" or something with cool font.

Moose.Jy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of us that are waiting on a tank to be delivered a month or more from now would someone mind posting some good specs and close ups so we can get an idea what to gather. I'm interested in the over flow and return area personally bottom of the tank as well if anyone has the time.

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of us that are waiting on a tank to be delivered a month or more from now would someone mind posting some good specs and close ups so we can get an idea what to gather. I'm interested in the over flow and return area personally bottom of the tank as well if anyone has the time.
I can in an hour or so :)

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20210822_182208_HDR.jpg
20210822_181812_HDR.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back