unsure how to keep up with my cleanup crew

Michael Gentile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been running my tank for 2 years now and finally feel comfortable adding higher end coral to my tank. IM able to keep everything under control except for this brown algae/ hair algae. Its not over bearing, but i feel as though my cleanup crew is inadequate. Currently i have a 55 gallon tank with a 25 gallon sump, 2 clownfish and a 6 lined wrasse. all my corals and fish are doing great. My cleanup crew is about 5 turbos, 7 blue legged hermit crabs, a red tuexdo urchin (hes tiny), a tiny tiny serpent star that came on a frag plug, a sand sifting star who relatively large now, and a fire shrimp. i wanted to try and move away from hermit crabs so i could but two tiger conches in there. im just not sure if this is sufficient moving forward, my wrasse also doesn't bother anyone in the tank. a basic list of recommendations would be great on how many of "x" i should have!

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,i am def anti crabs,but half a dozen trochus would work wonders, :)

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel ceriths do the best for film type algae, especially having a bunch of the dwarf variety. Not sure on hair though, have not found anything that likes it

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.4%
Back