Unsure if dinos

0utworld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my 20 gallon tank (LS/DR/RODI) for around 2 weeks and I've recently started getting brown growth (with stringly bubbles) on the sand and eventually the rocks. When it just appeared, I suspected dinos so I started overfeeding a bit and removed my chemipure blue. My nitrates and phosphates have since been relatively high (>=5, ~0.08, RedSea). I also seeded two 8oz. tiger pods and started dosing Microbacter7 for a week by now since I saw first growth. But yesterday night, it just seems like the brown algae bloomed and took over everything. The Trochus snails have been eating them since Day 1 and seem fine. Nassarius snails are constantly gliding on the brown algae. I'm now very conflicted on what type of algae this is, since dinoflagellate is known to thrive in low nutrient conditions and is toxic to snails. But the brown color and cobweb-like structures are very Dinos-specific.

I'm planning on doing a quick paper tower filter test to narrow down what this algae is.

Does anyone have a clue? Thanks.

1.jpeg 2.jpeg 3.jpeg

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't tell from your pics.

The coffee filter test will pretty conclusively tell you if it's dinos.

OP
OP
0utworld

0utworld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't tell from your pics.

The coffee filter test will pretty conclusively tell you if it's dinos.

Thanks Zalick, just past some siphoned water through a paper tower. Do you know around how long I should wait for?

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Zalick, just past some siphoned water through a paper tower. Do you know around how long I should wait for?

Not sure exactly. But I think about 15 minutes should do it. I don't know how well the paper towel works. Coffee filter is best.

Is the water clear in the cup now?

When I did the test, the water was crystal clear. Then maybe 15mins later or so, the dinos has congregated!

OP
OP
0utworld

0utworld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure exactly. But I think about 15 minutes should do it. I don't know how well the paper towel works. Coffee filter is best.

Is the water clear in the cup now?

When I did the test, the water was crystal clear. Then maybe 15mins later or so, the dinos has congregated!

The water was pretty clear at first but stuff started precipitating. It's been around 30-45 min and it looks like this:

Does this count as congregating?

filter.jpeg

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like dinos. There is a really good dino thread. Check this thread:

And this post for how to ID with the paper towel/coffee filter.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/d...ed-of-battling-altogether.293318/post-4043311

OP
OP
0utworld

0utworld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like dinos. There is a really good dino thread. Check this thread:

And this post for how to ID with the paper towel/coffee filter.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/dinoflagellates-–-are-you-tired-of-battling-altogether.293318/post-4043311
Thanks a bunch.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hard for me to tell but to be 100% you need a microscope. This is the one I purchased for under $100.

AmScope M150C-I 40X-1000X All-Metal Optical Glass Lenses Cordless LED Student Biological Compound Microscope

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard for me to tell but to be 100% you need a microscope. This is the one I purchased for under $100.

AmScope M150C-I 40X-1000X All-Metal Optical Glass Lenses Cordless LED Student Biological Compound Microscope

I bought a similar one by Swift recently. Wish I had bought it 20 years ago!

I think every reefer should have one. Even a cheap $30 kids kit can help ID!

OP
OP
0utworld

0utworld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking of combating the dinos by fuelling the growth of green algae or diatoms. I know diatoms love silicates, but does anyone know what might help with green algae growth (that dinos don't like)?

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have this over as well... great scope!

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking of combating the dinos by fuelling the growth of green algae or diatoms. I know diatoms love silicates, but does anyone know what might help with green algae growth (that dinos don't like)?

I'm battling Dino's right now too. I've been running my current tank for about 6 years with undetectable levels of nitrates and phosphates.

My first step is going to be dosing nitrate and phosphate to bring them up to 5ppm and .05 respectively.

If you are measuring 0s, you should start with something similar.

OP
OP
0utworld

0utworld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm battling Dino's right now too. I've been running my current tank for about 6 years with undetectable levels of nitrates and phosphates.

My first step is going to be dosing nitrate and phosphate to bring them up to 5ppm and .05 respectively.

If you are measuring 0s, you should start with something similar.

Comforting to hear that I'm not alone. Apparently my nitrates plummeted from 5 to 0ppm over the course of a few days, which probably led to the huge bloom. Phosphates are 0.06ish. Think I might start dosing nitrates.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 26.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 32.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back