Untapped tank: How would you add filtration to an undrilled cube?

How would you filter an undrilled cube?

• Turn it into an all-in-one.

Votes: 88 27.2%
  • Use a canister filter.

Votes: 51 15.8%
  • Use a HOB overflow

Votes: 90 27.9%
  • Use a HOB filter

Votes: 55 17.0%
  • OtherUse it as a freshwater tank.

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • Other

Votes: 34 10.5%

• Total voters

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I won't own a tank that isn't drilled... Just my preference. I'd drill it.

But... you don't _need_ a sump. Really, in today's world, a sump is simply a place to hide all the stuff you don't want in the display. I can't think of anything, really, that you can't do as a hang on, or in-tank version, rather than a sump version.

My sump contains some live rock rubble, macro algae refugeum, heater, kalk dosing outlet, temp and pH probes, ATO system, and return pump. Nothing that can't be done in the tank, or as a hang on, or just eliminated.

Ichtha_yo Stuff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I would drill it, but for whatever reason if you didn't want to then I would hook up a couple of high-quality dosing pumps from Ecotech, GHL or Neptune and have an automated water change to change out about 10%-20% percent a week. Fill it will coral and keep the bio load moderate. Use surface agitation to keep the water oxygenated and prevent surface scum.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actual Pro Tip - biological filtration is the easiest thing to achieve and the least thing that needs worry... although people worry about it the most. Replacing major and trace elements needs to happen. You must remove nasty metals and compounds that come in food, supplements and other places. You must have good gas exchange.

There is no one way that is necessary to do any of these things, but they need to happen through some method. I posted about mine - surface skim for gas exchange and a skimmer also for gas exchange and toxin removal. I forgot to mention that I have gallon jugs of Randy's 2 part that I pour in a few times a week and I also change a lot of water. I top off with a 5 gallon bucket. You could skim the gross gunk off of the surface with a coffee cup every day or two, use GAC or larger WC for toxins, airstone for gas exchange or any number of ways to add in major and trace elements and there are many ways to top off. These are not optional, at least not in the long run.

In the end, sumps are easier (dare I say better) since they do surface skim, exchange gas, allow for better skimmers and equipment. Sump less tanks just need some special care and thought. Just saying that rocks, sand and flow can handle a sump less tank is foolish, IME.

paragrouper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted other: I would not buy it.

Not withstanding the fact that a sump is not necessary—I want a sump. A big sump with a refugium. I don’t want to drill, I already have an AIO…

I want a sump and there are plenty of options for me to choose from.

Alfie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hang on refugium like this. I used one of these many years ago lol It actuall worked very well
Screenshot 2023-05-11 at 17-50-13 Refugium Nano (160l). Full Kit. Hang On Back. For Phosphate ...png

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i'd make it into an AIO. personally do not like the cluttered look of HOB skimmers, overflows, etc.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use a canister. Clean monthly. It's not that bad.

All_talk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I agree that you don't need a sump, I certainly prefer having one. More for hiding equipment than necessary filtering capacity.

That said, there is nothing wrong with a HOB overflow, I have been running one for over 12 years and have never had it loose siphon (knock on wood). Setup correctly there is no risk of overflow from return pump shutdown or blocked drain. I would never consider one that required a pump to keep the air out, but the good old U-tube has proven dead reliable for me.

Martym19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I won't own a tank that isn't drilled... Just my preference. I'd drill it.

But... you don't _need_ a sump. Really, in today's world, a sump is simply a place to hide all the stuff you don't want in the display. I can't think of anything, really, that you can't do as a hang on, or in-tank version, rather than a sump version.

My sump contains some live rock rubble, macro algae refugeum, heater, kalk dosing outlet, temp and pH probes, ATO system, and return pump. Nothing that can't be done in the tank, or as a hang on, or just eliminated.
I won the take he is talking about and I am absolutely drilling the tank

HomebroodExotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only filtration system I’ll likely ever use again, as long as it’s physically possible, would be an undergravel filter so that’s what I would do as far as hardware.

Martym19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Untapped tank: How would you add filtration to an undrilled cube?

There was a beautiful cube aquarium that was on display recently at Reef-a-Palooza Orlando that held approximately 60-gallons. Everything about the aquarium was stunning – it was a rimless tank, using low-iron glass, and the seams were perfect…but it wasn’t drilled. Let’s assume that the tank remains undrilled, how would you filter this beautiful undrilled cube? After all, drilling is not always an option for a variety of reasons. Turning a tank into an all-in-one (AIO) may seem like an obvious choice but a ready-made conversion kit may not be available, and a fair amount of DIY may be required. There may be some ways that are recommended and some ways that are not recommended – please share how you would add filtration to an undrilled cube.

PRO TIP: Increasing the frequency and amount of water changes, reducing the biological load (fish food, fish waste, etc.) in the tank, and stay current with water testing are some ways to manage the water parameters with lower levels of filtration.

JackRavensbergen_CubeReef.jpeg

Photo by @Jack_Ravenbergen; Reef of the Month April 2021

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.tidalgardens.com

TidalGardensBanner.png
“The goal of Tidal Gardens is to offer the highest quality corals to those seeking a piece of that world without destroying it. We hope to instill a deep appreciation for the natural reefs and help develop a self sustaining hobby that no longer requires the collection of fish and corals.”
I actually won the cube tank in Orlando from joe and the gang at glass cages, I absolutely will be drilling the tank and doing a stealth or island style overflow with a sump using the really nice pump I won from asf the same day!

Attachments

• E2B7F6AF-43B1-4142-A001-3C07C325B92E.jpeg
    E2B7F6AF-43B1-4142-A001-3C07C325B92E.jpeg
    167 KB · Views: 47

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is running un-drilled and sumpless since the 70s. No problems yet and I also still run a undergravel filter.

My DIY skimmer is 5' tall and is bolter to the stand in the back.

hsosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a waterbox mini clear 25 that houses my candy canes ,chalice ,mushrooms and Goniopora . I use a versa to pull water from my mini clear to my waterbox 60.2 and I have a return back to the mini clear hooked up to a lily pipe that drips back into the mini clear 25. I also have a Nero 3 in the mini clear creating wave action towards the top of the tank to dissipate any organics. I also added a small over the hang mini filter . works good

reef’r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually won the cube tank in Orlando from joe and the gang at glass cages, I absolutely will be drilling the tank and doing a stealth or island style overflow with a sump using the really nice pump I won from asf the same day!
Can you send some pics of the seam where the two pieces of glass meet at the corner? I have a 60 aqueon cube and am wondering if the way they have it done is okay or should I add a bead of silicone

cwerner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would drill it. Not for any functional reason, just to hide the heater, filter, and all of the other stuff absolutely necessary. A Seachem Tidal, Eheim, and maybe a HOB or internal skimmer would be all that's needed

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 30ish gallon cube currently with a tidal hob on it. All kinda have good and bad points except drilled with a sump imo. Hob filter causes a lot of salt creep other then that pretty good so far included surface skimming is a bonus on this model. All in ones are nice but getting a kit to make one especially for odd shaped or makes of tanks isnt great. Diying a all in one if you do acrylic work isnt bad but how many actually do this. HOB overflows I just dont trust had issues in the past. Canisters set up correctly are great but usually no surface skimming, you can diy a surface skimmer but again if not diy inclined not great.

EL_Perron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
its ok to use filters for optional items like biopellets, gfo, optional

but there isn't a time where the bioload in a reef tank will exceed the nitrification capacity of the cycled rock in the center mass, thereby making filtration unuseful other than to move currents. additional tip:

during power outages, those millions of extra bacteria we didnt need beyond live rock bacteria become a marked liability in the system. they compete against our fish for vital oxygen. filters only aren't harmful when the power runs, and then for a reef tank, they're not accomplishing anything we require other than water motion. filtration presents extra bioloading to a tank, those bacteria take up oxygen, produce acidic waste and in great numbers they comprise irritating compounds when left uncleaned.

fish only systems, freshwater systems, instances that run low surface area to bioload designs need filters...not reef tanks.
I can assure you, that it is very easy to put enough bio-load in a reef tank that will exceed the nitirifcation capacity.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 58 29.6%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 42 21.4%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 23 11.7%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 66 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back