Status
Not open for further replies.

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took note on the Safety 1st tot lock. Thats good info to know for me ;) (in ~ 5 months)

Pretty much all your wrasses get along. Live Aquaria seperates the reef safe from non which is nice.
I would maybe post a list of them so people can give their experience with them.

I'm not too into the Scotts since my buddy and I both had one that was scared of its own shadow, and they both ended up hanging theirselves on the nets above the tank while trying to jump out of the tank.
Mystery's can be tank bullies sometimes, but if you get them on the smallish side, and add them last you should be fine.
I would stay away from any of the 4,6, and 8 line. I haven't had any, but have headed other people's advice on them being like little devil damsels.
Other than that they are all pretty cool.
If you have the coin, the Flames are definitely the coolest wrasses I have ever had/seen. My act like little puppies when I am in the room, in the tank, ect. Just totally cool fish and fun as heck to watch. Especially when they float around head up and tail down just cruizin' like a little helicopter!

I can't wait to see the aquascaping. I am the same way - super picky about it - thats why my tank has stayed looking like a frag junkyard. I wanted to figure out par levels for coral and all that, then do the final aquascaping - ONCE. Hopefully soon I'll get it finished. I'm in the process of getting done what I to take care of prior to doing it.

Show some more pics when your done! I wanna see this top-secret aquascaping trick ;)

BTW - I don't know what the top of the light looks like or where they hangers go, but coralife makes one, there is a generic hanging kit that is sold at most fish stores, and the aquamedic one. I wouldn't use legs again after I saw the look of mine hanging.

OP
OP
ReeferRob

ReeferRob

Give me your Brains!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took note on the Safety 1st tot lock. Thats good info to know for me ;) (in ~ 5 months)

Pretty much all your wrasses get along. Live Aquaria seperates the reef safe from non which is nice.
I would maybe post a list of them so people can give their experience with them.

I'm not too into the Scotts since my buddy and I both had one that was scared of its own shadow, and they both ended up hanging theirselves on the nets above the tank while trying to jump out of the tank.
Mystery's can be tank bullies sometimes, but if you get them on the smallish side, and add them last you should be fine.
I would stay away from any of the 4,6, and 8 line. I haven't had any, but have headed other people's advice on them being like little devil damsels.
Other than that they are all pretty cool.
If you have the coin, the Flames are definitely the coolest wrasses I have ever had/seen. My act like little puppies when I am in the room, in the tank, ect. Just totally cool fish and fun as heck to watch. Especially when they float around head up and tail down just cruizin' like a little helicopter!

I can't wait to see the aquascaping. I am the same way - super picky about it - thats why my tank has stayed looking like a frag junkyard. I wanted to figure out par levels for coral and all that, then do the final aquascaping - ONCE. Hopefully soon I'll get it finished. I'm in the process of getting done what I to take care of prior to doing it.

Show some more pics when your done! I wanna see this top-secret aquascaping trick ;)

BTW - I don't know what the top of the light looks like or where they hangers go, but coralife makes one, there is a generic hanging kit that is sold at most fish stores, and the aquamedic one. I wouldn't use legs again after I saw the look of mine hanging.

Thanks for the killer advice.
Ive owned a few 6 lines in the past and they were grreat, particularly at helping protect clams from worms and stuff.
I also had a Lubbuck Fair that was absolutely the best one I have ever seen, but one day he decided to go base jumping with out a parachute.

Much like everyone else I love the killer swimming patterns, the colors and of course the constant patrolling for pest in the tank.

OP
OP
ReeferRob

ReeferRob

Give me your Brains!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update Aquascape

Okay, I am a bit hesitant to show you guys these pictures of the scape. I know at first I said that I was really pleased with how it turn out for the first attempt. But after starring at it all day long form a distance it just looks like a heap of rocks. Way too many rocks. Particularly on my uber duber crappy camera, that for some reason changes colors of things as Im looking through it. Plus my double top secret project isn't complete yet so its not in there either.:ah:
Truthfully, its not that bad. Ive seen plenty worse. Tons of cool caves and passage ways for fish to fly in and out off. Its not what I had in mind or planned but its not that bad. Just like any other tank i am sure it will go through plenty of different phases and changes, so that is why I choose to drop the picks just to get a time line of sorts.

Front FTS
100_3537.jpg

Right side from my favorite spot on the couch!
100_3548.jpg

Random over hang
100_3552.jpg

Pictures don't do it justice, Ill try and get a few better later.

Last edited:
I

inactive

View Badges
Cube? Bahh Im jealous.. I love cubes. My dream is a 480 gallon cube.

Thank is looking nice man, I know its gonna look even better soon!

OP
OP
ReeferRob

ReeferRob

Give me your Brains!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kraylen--Thanks man, I can't wait to start adding some thangs!!

Mgdmirage--Thanks for your kind words. My "frags" me the world to me. My son is my number one helper no matter what the task is, he is always up to it. If you look at my 120 build you'll see he was a key part then as well!

OP
OP
ReeferRob

ReeferRob

Give me your Brains!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Odd Update--

So this is a bit odd only because I expected the exact opposite.
So I have 40+ pounds of Marco premium Fiji and just over 20 of Pompeii rock in the tank. The Fiji was dead obviously, and the Pompeii came from a LFS that had had it in their system for something like 4 months.
The odd thing is that the seasoned rock is turning brown and has bubbles all over it. And the dead rock is actually looking like it is getting purple Coraline on it already, with no bubbles. I was expecting the opposite to happen which is really weird to me. And I know it is way too soon for the Fiji to start showing purple spots like Coraline??????? Mostly likely just diatoms, as a result of new tank and poor flow.

I then realized that after much fidgetting (sp?) with the mp20 its not going to be enough flow in this tank. I do have the return hooked up to a QO4000. I don't want to upgrade the return because I don't want to shorten the dwell time of the water in the fuge. So it looks like I might be adding either a mp10 or most likely another mp20 in the very near future.
Maybe some penductors on the return lines might work though, they just speed the water up coming out of the loc line right?? Feel free to please give your two cents on the flow topic!

Test kits arrived yesterday!! As suspected everything is perfect, only because it been up for only 6 days. Those cromis I added don't make much waste.

Still waiting for my RKLite to arrive so I can finalize all the wiring, some what. Also picked up a 5" fan for the fuge area, and ordered the stainless light wiring kit as well.

Blackhawk Fan

Jedi Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the aquascaping alot. I would wait and see how the corals do once you start stocking. I had two mp40's on my 30x30x24 and once I moved all my euphyllia's in, even when I turned them both down the euphyllia's were getting pummeled.

OP
OP
ReeferRob

ReeferRob

Give me your Brains!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the aquascaping alot. I would wait and see how the corals do once you start stocking. I had two mp40's on my 30x30x24 and once I moved all my euphyllia's in, even when I turned them both down the euphyllia's were getting pummeled.

Great point, euphys are by far my favorite, if you couldn't tell from my 120. Not grade A stuff but still my fav.

Blackhawk Fan

Jedi Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are one of my favorites as well, plus the wife and kids love them. My old 120 was loaded with them. I hope you don't mind the pic in your build. I'll remove it if you do.
IMG_0152.jpg

OP
OP
ReeferRob

ReeferRob

Give me your Brains!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are one of my favorites as well, plus the wife and kids love them. My old 120 was loaded with them. I hope you don't mind the pic in your build. I'll remove it if you do.
IMG_0152.jpg

Not at all, beautiful pic! I actually thought it was my pic for a second of the right side of my 120!!

OP
OP
ReeferRob

ReeferRob

Give me your Brains!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update!!!!!

Look what the Santa Claus in brown just left for me!!! TOYS!!
IMG_1651.jpg

IMG_1650.jpg

One problem "Daddy stop playing with the tank, and take me skating!"
IMG_1654.jpg

I guess we'll have to wait and play after the kiddies have gone to sleep!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
ReeferRob

ReeferRob

Give me your Brains!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it was a bit of a late night for me last night. But all is up and bangin' beutifully. I am really happy with the end result. Very clean and tiddy! Still a few things to add. Of course, I forgot about the battery back up for the VT, and still one module to mount for the RKL. Baby steps though right!

Note to anyone thinking of buying a RKL or better. DO IT. I've researched and read just about everything on the computer about them. The manual is a bit intimidating but once its up and you start pressing buttons. Its very easy and intuitive to use!!

The mess of wires before!
100_3561.jpg

And after! Notice how little you can see wires!
100_3565.jpg

Moved the ATO to the other side with most of the other power wires, so not to interfer with teh RKL!
100_3566.jpg

No flash! Blurry pic but nice glow from the LED's of the controllers.
100_3568.jpg

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking SWEET! I'm going to have to steal the wire cover idea!

That pic of you girl on the skateboard is too cute! I can't wait...

Where is the "D" btw? lol I really have no clue. Guess I've been out of the country and moved around too long!

OP
OP
ReeferRob

ReeferRob

Give me your Brains!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking SWEET! I'm going to have to steal the wire cover idea!

That pic of you girl on the skateboard is too cute! I can't wait...

Where is the "D" btw? lol I really have no clue. Guess I've been out of the country and moved around too long!

Thanks very much for the kind words. She is my little princess. She really does love to ride on my longboard too. No joke!!

The "D" in Detroit!! The arm pit of America! Its a great place you should look into it. We have the 3rd fatest city in America, 1st in murders, 1st or 2nd in unemployment, but have regular championship contender sports teams.
I claim it like I love it, but really can't stand a thing about it, except the Wings!! I live in the subs if you can't tell yet.

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol! If you are 1st in murders, Baltimore is 2nd! I'm glad we live about 20min south.
Its crazy - we have Baltimore to the north, and Annapolis to the south - 2 totally different cities.
Kind of like the east vs. westside of D.C. which is 45min away.
I kinda miss the mid-west now :) not really though. Its nice having a ton of different choices on where to go and what to do.

The longboard reminded me of S. California (where I'm from) thats why I asked. I figured it might be out there somewhere.....

divecj5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. Lots to catch up on your build. Glad to see that everything has now come together for you with the cube. Everything looks great and it's nice when all of the parts and pieces finally come together.

I agree with you that there may be a titch too much rock in there, but then again, I've always been a fan of more open scapes instead of the rock wall look. Either way, the key is how it looks once the corals are in there so I wouldn't worry too much about it at this point. Things always look completely different once they start getting covered.

Any hints on the super secret project?

Status
Not open for further replies.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back