View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
20210904_114251.jpg
20210904_114241.jpg
20210906_161200.jpg
20210906_161208.jpg

So this is my first tank on my own and wanted to hear any thoughts/advice from people. I have right now 3 hermits, 5 snails, 2 damsels, 1 green star polyp, small cluster of zoas and the chaos zoa. All my water parameters are awesome (i haven't tested alk, calc or magn yet tho waiting for test kits). I have had the tank about a month and a half now and I have been slowly adding stuff.

Tank: Fiji 38g AIO W/ subermisble pump
Light: Radeon xr30 blue x1
Powerhead: Nero 5
Heater: don't remember the name but it is a typical high end tube heater
I started the tank with two biocubes that my local store threw in their tank to help acclimate mine. All my animals so far look great and I am gonna try an LPS in two weeks (torch).

Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated :)

AquaCave Logo Banner

i cant think

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
20210904_114251.jpg
20210904_114241.jpg
20210906_161200.jpg
20210906_161208.jpg

So this is my first tank on my own and wanted to hear any thoughts/advice from people. I have right now 3 hermits, 5 snails, 2 damsels, 1 green star polyp, small cluster of zoas and the chaos zoa. All my water parameters are awesome (i haven't tested alk, calc or magn yet tho waiting for test kits). I have had the tank about a month and a half now and I have been slowly adding stuff.

Tank: Fiji 38g AIO W/ subermisble pump
Light: Radeon xr30 blue x1
Powerhead: Nero 5
Heater: don't remember the name but it is a typical high end tube heater
I started the tank with two biocubes that my local store threw in their tank to help acclimate mine. All my animals so far look great and I am gonna try an LPS in two weeks (torch).

Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated :)
I think your issue in the future will be the two damsels, they can get aggressive (depending on what sp they are) and usually won’t like other more peaceful fish

OP
N

Nick96

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I think your issue in the future will be the two damsels, they can get aggressive (depending on what sp they are) and usually won’t like other more peaceful fish
I have a buddy that will be taking them in the future when I plan to get clown fish and other fish that will play well!

i cant think

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I have a buddy that will be taking them in the future when I plan to get clown fish and other fish that will play well!
Okay, that’s good also if you ever plan on a tang I recommend adding it last because they can tend to become proper bullies unless it’s a Ctenochaetus (my C. binotatus has seemed to be the most peaceful in the genus but it probably ranges depending on the fish)

OP
N

Nick96

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Okay, that’s good also if you ever plan on a tang I recommend adding it last because they can tend to become proper bullies unless it’s a Ctenochaetus (my C. binotatus has seemed to be the most peaceful in the genus but it probably ranges depending on the fish)
I am not too sure on a tang, I know they are great fish but I think a 40g like mine is a little small for them no?
I was thinking of two clowns a mandarin, shrimp and fire fish
What tang would you recommend?

Zoanthids

i cant think

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I am not too sure on a tang, I know they are great fish but I think a 40g like mine is a little small for them no?
If there is a 4’ (3’ minimum) diagonal then you could maybe get the smaller of the Ctenochaetus tangs, stay away from things like the chevron

adittam

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I have no idea why they are recommending a tang to you, a 40g tank is only a temporary home for any tang species.

OP
N

Nick96

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I have no idea why they are recommending a tang to you, a 40g tank is only a temporary home for any tang species.
Yeah I have heard its a topic some people say its fine others not, I probably won't do a tang I'm primarily going to focused on the animals listed above and as many corals as possible :). Any other tips/advice you have on the tank?

i cant think

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Yeah I have heard its a topic some people say its fine others not, I probably won't do a tang I'm primarily going to focused on the animals listed above and as many corals as possible :). Any other tips/advice you have on the tank?
Oh, you were assuming I meant a permanent home? Sorry, should’ve clarified.

i cant think

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I don’t do gallons very well, I struggle to convert them to litres so I assumed it was a 3’ tank, but also I didn’t mean to say it could be a permanent home

Top Shelf Aquatics

adittam

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I absolutely love my toadstool leather. Very easy to care for, absolutely gorgeous, and creates great movement in the flow. I’m also a big fan of my hammer garden for the same reasons, although they are slightly more difficult. You can see both in the most recent video I posted in my build thread.

CS