Updated Numbers

Braves Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted this here because as I have said in my other post, I am trying to get my numbers right for SPS corals.

Mag. 920
Nitrates 18
dKH 8
Alk. 2.86
Calcium 400

The calcium two weeks ago was at 495, I stopped
using the two part to lower this number, is it to
low now. Anyway give me your thoughts on these numbers.
Thanks for your time

I should add, I only have two SPS frags in the tank at this time

gilmour01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mag needs to be higher...shoot for around 1300

calcium is okay, but could be higher

i'd try to get the nitrates < 10, but thats just my opinion and i've seen sps tanks with higher nitrates.

OP
OP
Braves Fan

Braves Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been doing two to three water changes a week to get the nitrates down. 1 1/2 months ago the nitrates were at 200 ( I know lol I was over feeding my fish big time) I got them down to 20 pretty quick but can't really get them down further than they are right now. I have a 125g tank and did a 50g water change last Thursday and a 27g water change today. I have 230 pounds live rock in the tank, so that 50g water change was about half the water in my tank. I am at a loss as to what to do to get them lower. Have lower the fish food down alot, only put 1/3 sheet of Nori in the tank every two days and only feed the Cyclop-eeze to my tank the night before my weekly water change and I have cut back big time on the amount of Cyclop-eeze I do put in the tank.

OP
OP
Braves Fan

Braves Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mag. Is this something I should buy at my LFS to add to my tank, a friend told me I can make this with stuff I can buy at Wal Mart, but he didn't know how?

OP
OP
Braves Fan

Braves Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went to the LFS today and bought some B-Ionic Magnesium, and started to put that in the tank today. The way I figure it, will take about two weeks to get my Mag. up to the right level.

THEMADREEFER

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using any chemical filtration. I use poly filters from poly bio marine and some use carbon. Adding these should help lower your nitrates in additon to water changes. Also adjusting your skimmer to a more wet skim could help.

THEMADREEFER

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheap mag fix is epsom salt. The only drawback is purity and sulfate buildup. IMO if you are doing agressive water changes this point should be mute. Also if your salt has a fresh mixed low mag level I would change salts.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 173 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back