Upgrade or downgrade to waterbox cube 20 worth it?

Giantclownfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I started about 6 months ago with a basic 10 gallon and 2 clowns. I decided to upgrade and found a used 20 gallon IM fusion nuvo with the AIO taken out and upgraded to have a sump with an overflow. Ive been running that tank for about 2-3 months and its making me not enjoy it as much based on how much more complicated it is. So I’m thinking of downgrading to a Waterbox cube 20 and I dont know if it would be worth it because I technically currently have a better setup and cause it would cause me to spend more money and would have to go through the hassle of selling everything.

any opinions would be appreciated!

thomas_neil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I started about 6 months ago with a basic 10 gallon and 2 clowns. I decided to upgrade and found a used 20 gallon IM fusion nuvo with the AIO taken out and upgraded to have a sump with an overflow. Ive been running that tank for about 2-3 months and its making me not enjoy it as much based on how much more complicated it is. So I’m thinking of downgrading to a Waterbox cube 20 and I dont know if it would be worth it because I technically currently have a better setup and cause it would cause me to spend more money and would have to go through the hassle of selling everything.

I would personally keep the IM with the sump. More water volume so it will be more stable and easier equipment Maintenace.

Just curious what you don't like about the sump? I have an aio in my office and a sump in my tank at home and the sump is way easier to maintain. More room to access everything, easier to clean out, hides all my equipment.

OP
OP
Giantclownfish

Giantclownfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would personally keep the IM with the sump. More water volume so it will be more stable and easier equipment Maintenace.

Just curious what you don't like about the sump? I have an aio in my office and a sump in my tank at home and the sump is way easier to maintain. More room to access everything, easier to clean out, hides all my equipment.
I don’t like how complicated water changes are, its so hard to keep a constant level in the overflow box, and I also have issues with the ATO because the water level changes so much.

Plus I like more how cubes look and how much simpler they seem.

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend keeping your current setup a few years. Get good at it and make the most out of it. You will most likely want a larger tank down the road.

thomas_neil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t like how complicated water changes are, its so hard to keep a constant level in the overflow box, and I also have issues with the ATO because the water level changes so much.

Best advice I have is everyone has an opinion and you gotta do what you want. Sounds like you already made your mind up about the water box.

Everyone will give you different answers and different reasons why ones better and ones not. Its all about personal preference and what you like.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Do you turn off the return pump when doing the change? What overflow box do you have?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say do what you want, sounds like you have your mind made up. How can other people tell you whats better for you?

For what its worth, I like smaller tanks, I find them way easier, have never been tempted to go larger. I have 4 tanks at home smaller than 30 gallons, the maintenance is a cinch.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do turn off the return pump when I do water changes. The overflow box is a Eshopps Eclipse M.

So which part of the water change is difficult? I think if we can get that set better then you might enjoy the sump more. You could also setup a refugium to lower the frequency of water changes (albeit you would dose a bit more).

TraydersAnonymous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They also have small pump chambers for a smaller range of pump upgrades that fit.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 146 60.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 66 27.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.8%
  • Other

Votes: 66 27.4%

Back