Upgrading from 24g - 65g/sump need help transferring

reeferrob0402

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I’m upgrading from a 24g AIO to a 65g tank with a 25g sump can I transfer all my rock and water to the new tank obviously adding more rock and water would this amount allow me to avoid the having to re cycle the tank? I’ve read never transfer the old sand start with new live sand but transfer everything else. Has anyone had any positive experience with this?
Tank is about 8months old
Currently stocked with:
2 tomato clowns
1 cleaner shrimp
2 torches
Rainbow bubble tip Nem
Acans
Rock flowers

Thanks in advance

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
If I’m upgrading from a 24g AIO to a 65g tank with a 25g sump can I transfer all my rock and water to the new tank obviously adding more rock and water would this amount allow me to avoid the having to re cycle the tank? I’ve read never transfer the old sand start with new live sand but transfer everything else. Has anyone had any positive experience with this?
Tank is about 8months old
Currently stocked with:
2 tomato clowns
1 cleaner shrimp
2 torches
Rainbow bubble tip Nem
Acans
Rock flowers

Thanks in advance
Lot of debate on transferring sand, but at only 8 months old you would probably be ok. You should retain enough bacteria on your rock to maintain the ammonia reduction for your current inhabitants. Just don’t add a bunch of new fish immediately.

You can take some of the worry out by dosing with prime and stability (or the bottled bacteria of your choice) for 7-10 days after transfer.

Issues with moving sand is that you can stir up a lot of detritus possibly causing an ammonia spike. Your sand will however aid in your biological filter (ammonia reduction)

I assume you will be adding more Rick as the tank is larger. This will cycle through a new “ugly stage” unless you pre cycle it in trash cans or bins. I added dry rock to a couple of tanks when I added a 210g and continued the 110g I had. Using most of the live rock from the 110 leaving some behind, both tanks were cycled, but I did end up with a hair Algea problem in the 110. Added some more CUC and the problem went away.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back