Upgrading from 50 gal to 112 gal question.

Nanoreefbro

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 13, 2009
Messages
267
Reaction score
2
Location
San Diego, California
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a few months I plan on upgrading my 50 gal tank that has been running for about 6 years to a new 112 gal tank. I plan on switching out the Carib-Sea sand that I have for Tropic Eden. I will be using the live rock from the old tank and adding some more live rock that has been cured for several months. I will also transfer my refugium from my 50 gal to the new tank as well. My question is will I need to cycle the tank again and if so for how long?
 
If you plan on using most of the water as well then I would say no. You will see some type of cycle with new algae on the sand, but nothing that would be bad for corals and fish. I have switched over tanks like this with no issues.
 
If you plan on using most of the water as well then I would say no. You will see some type of cycle with new algae on the sand, but nothing that would be bad for corals and fish. I have switched over tanks like this with no issues.

Yes I plan on using the water from my old tank and using water from my other tank. 233 gal

If it is a dsb, you will have trouble

I plan on having a 2" sand bed...
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 12 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new