Upgrading from 65g to 100g

Yourlocalreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone I’m planning to upgrade my 65 gallon tank to a bigger 100g in the next couple months. I have anemones, fish, coral, and inverts in my 65g and was wondering what should I do? I’m debating if I should leave them in there till the cycle is complete or I’m not sure? Any help would be appreciated thank you in advance (the picture shows the 65g)

image.jpg

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be better to let at least part of a cycle complete before moving anything over to make sure the new rock is fully cured.

When I have done this in the past and was able to run both simultaneously, I setup the new tank, tested everything thoroughly, set up new aquascape and sand minus any rocks I was going to move over. Added a bottle of bacteria and about 10% of the rock from the existing tank and a couple scoops of sand. I let it cycle for 4 weeks, then moved the rest of the rock fish and corals.

All of that can be sped up, but the longer it cycles, the shorter the mini cycle when fish and corals are moved.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone I’m planning to upgrade my 65 gallon tank to a bigger 100g in the next couple months. I have anemones, fish, coral, and inverts in my 65g and was wondering what should I do? I’m debating if I should leave them in there till the cycle is complete or I’m not sure? Any help would be appreciated thank you in advance (the picture shows the 65g)

image.jpg

I am having a similar discussion on another thread that relates here...

Are you going to replace the current tank with the new one, or are you going to keep them both running?

OP
OP
Yourlocalreefer

Yourlocalreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having a similar discussion on another thread that relates here...

Are you going to replace the current tank with the new one, or are you going to keep them both running?
My plan is to replace the old one with the new tank since I’ll have better sump accessibility. (My old one has only 1 inch of room till you hit the top)

OP
OP
Yourlocalreefer

Yourlocalreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be better to let at least part of a cycle complete before moving anything over to make sure the new rock is fully cured.

When I have done this in the past and was able to run both simultaneously, I setup the new tank, tested everything thoroughly, set up new aquascape and sand minus any rocks I was going to move over. Added a bottle of bacteria and about 10% of the rock from the existing tank and a couple scoops of sand. I let it cycle for 4 weeks, then moved the rest of the rock fish and corals.

All of that can be sped up, but the longer it cycles, the shorter the mini cycle when fish and corals are moved.
Should I get the bigger rocks or the most green/most life on it for the new tank?

Freddy0144

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I would say that it really depends on the plan. If your plan is to setup the new tank and run it simultaneously with the other one with new rock, filter lights etc. Then I would wait for everything to cycle before moving any live stock. If the plan is to move the live rock from one tank to the other then that is going to change things, because your tank is already established you should be able to transfer all the live stock as long as the rock is moving too. so If you watch the Bulk Reef supply and WWC hybrid method it will cover this in depth.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My plan is to replace the old one with the new tank since I’ll have better sump accessibility. (My old one has only 1 inch of room till you hit the top)
Ok. if you are going to completely replace the current tank, here is all you need.

Use EVERYTHING from the current tank. All the rocks and as much of the clear water as possible. Wash the sand completely and reuse. Add more sand as needed. The rocks have the bacterial colonies you need to instantly skip-cycle.

This is an upgrade, NOT a new build! As long as you do not add to the bio-load, you are simply increasing space and volume. what worked in your current tank will be enough for the new one.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it's worth.. I am going to upgrade my 55g to a 135g in the next couple weeks. Since I plan to completely replace the 55 with the new 135, I am going to do exactly what I described above. Reuse as much of the clear water as I can, ALL of the rocks, and all of the sand which will be completely washed before transfer. Since I run canister filters on my 55, I will also squeeze out all of the foams into the new water to maximize the bacterial colonies. This step, in my opinion is overkill, but I feel it is more of a failsafe.

I have every confidence that the new build will sustain ALL of my stock seamlessly.

Honestly, I am more concerned about how everything will do in the holding tanks while I am doing the transfer.

Fredrxn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

image.jpg
I just upgraded from a 65 aio to a waterbox reef 130.4... I used caribsea shapes rock and algeabarns cycle kit... Tank was cycled in 6 days moved over all corals and fish on day 7

OP
OP
Yourlocalreefer

Yourlocalreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. if you are going to completely replace the current tank, here is all you need.

Use EVERYTHING from the current tank. All the rocks and as much of the clear water as possible. Wash the sand completely and reuse. Add more sand as needed. The rocks have the bacterial colonies you need to instantly skip-cycle.

This is an upgrade, NOT a new build! As long as you do not add to the bio-load, you are simply increasing space and volume. what worked in your current tank will be enough for the new one.
I have aptaisa in my sump on all the rocks down there with bristle worms in it (main display is clean of pests) should I still transfer those rocks to the new tanks sump or leave them? Some of the rocks are from what I was told real reef rock so there very old.

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have aptaisa in my sump on all the rocks down there with bristle worms in it (main display is clean of pests) should I still transfer those rocks to the new tanks sump or leave them? Some of the rocks are from what I was told real reef rock so there very old.
No. You don't want to start a new tank with aptasia if you can help it.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Is this on your current tank, or the new one?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.3%
Back