Upgrading from a 10 to a 20 long...

Fisker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! So, I've actually got a 10 gallon set up with a single false perc, a few coral, an RFA, and a few inverts. I enjoy the tank, but I'd actually like to introduce a second clown, and I feel as if a pair of false percs deserves a bit more space than a 10 can provide (long-term). So, even though my current clown is maybe 2" max, I want to look into upgrading to a 20 long. However, I'm a high school student on a tight budget, so I need to save where I can and buy stuff gradually.

I'm currently using an Aquaclear 30 HOB, an Aqueon 5oW heater, and a Koralia Nano 425 in this tank. I'm also running two ABI PAR 38's above the tank (23W each). My room gets down to about 68 at it's coldest, so I think the heater would be fine - or should I upgrade to a 100W?

Would the AC 30 and Koralia Nano 425 provide enough circulation for a 20 long? I'm considering adding another Koralia Nano (240 or 425, not sure) as I feel as if I've barely got enough flow in the tank as is. Maybe that's just me, though.

Lighting is actually my main concern. I don't think I want to deal with the PAR 38's anymore. They work great for smaller tanks, and I'll definitely be keeping them around as back-ups, but they're cumbersome and spill a LOT of light out into the room. I'd probably want to DIY a LED fixture, but I'm trying to be as cost-effective as possible. I want to keep softies, LPS, some hardier SPS, gorgs, and a few small anemones. So lighting isn't something I can skimp on. Anyone have any suggestions for LED configs, places to buy, or even build guides to follow?

Thanks for any help! All advice is welcome.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! So, I've actually got a 10 gallon set up with a single false perc, a few coral, an RFA, and a few inverts. I enjoy the tank, but I'd actually like to introduce a second clown, and I feel as if a pair of false percs deserves a bit more space than a 10 can provide (long-term). So, even though my current clown is maybe 2" max, I want to look into upgrading to a 20 long. However, I'm a high school student on a tight budget, so I need to save where I can and buy stuff gradually.

I'm currently using an Aquaclear 30 HOB, an Aqueon 5oW heater, and a Koralia Nano 425 in this tank. I'm also running two ABI PAR 38's above the tank (23W each). My room gets down to about 68 at it's coldest, so I think the heater would be fine - or should I upgrade to a 100W?

Would the AC 30 and Koralia Nano 425 provide enough circulation for a 20 long? I'm considering adding another Koralia Nano (240 or 425, not sure) as I feel as if I've barely got enough flow in the tank as is. Maybe that's just me, though.

Lighting is actually my main concern. I don't think I want to deal with the PAR 38's anymore. They work great for smaller tanks, and I'll definitely be keeping them around as back-ups, but they're cumbersome and spill a LOT of light out into the room. I'd probably want to DIY a LED fixture, but I'm trying to be as cost-effective as possible. I want to keep softies, LPS, some hardier SPS, gorgs, and a few small anemones. So lighting isn't something I can skimp on. Anyone have any suggestions for LED configs, places to buy, or even build guides to follow?

Have you thought about t5 they are cheaper but you do have to replace bulbs. Nothing against led they are great and I use them to grow coral.

I would add another koralia. Your hob is good but you could go the next size up.
Your heater should be fine if you see the temp dropping could get a bigger one but the 50 should be fine.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’d look into a 40 breeder. It will give you the space you want for about the same price. You can get the tank and stand from petco for under $100.

OP
OP
Fisker

Fisker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you thought about t5 they are cheaper but you do have to replace bulbs. Nothing against led they are great and I use them to grow coral.

I would add another koralia. Your hob is good but you could go the next size up.
Your heater should be fine if you see the temp dropping could get a bigger one but the 50 should be fine.
I'd rather pay a higher price up front for the LEDs rather than pay for replacements on the T5 bulbs. I have nothing against T5's, but the recurring cost isn't something I want to deal with.

Thanks for the tips! I think I'll probably add another 425 (or similar) on the opposite end of the tank, for sure.

I’d look into a 40 breeder. It will give you the space you want for about the same price. You can get the tank and stand from petco for under $100.
As much as I'd love that, it's not necessarily an issue of price, it's about room. My current room is like 10'x12', and I have a bed, a dresser, and a large desk. It's packed pretty full as is, with no room for a tank stand. The 40B would also be too thick to fit onto my desk, so that's a no go.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd rather pay a higher price up front for the LEDs rather than pay for replacements on the T5 bulbs. I have nothing against T5's, but the recurring cost isn't something I want to deal with.
I was looking at from a price point. @dantimdad thoughts

OP
OP
Fisker

Fisker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose I could use a kit like this as a heatsink, and use a bunch of solderless LEDs for simplicity: https://www.rapidled.com/6-x-12-premium-heat-sink-and-enclosure/

I have pretty basic knowledge when it comes to wiring and circuits, so I'd have to do some research, but I think that I could actually put something together pretty easily with a kit like that. I'd still have no idea how many royal blues and how many whites I'd need though, or if I'd need optics, or what driver I should look at.

OP
OP
Fisker

Fisker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered either a black box or noopsyche k7
I hadn't really considered many black boxes, but I have heard good things about the Viparspectra 165W. It was on my list, but kinda got pushed down due to the reputation that some black boxes have (poor quality).

Anyone have any experience with anything like that? The Viparspectra would sit into my budget very well, and has more features than I've ever really had in a light. Has good reviews, too.

OP
OP
Fisker

Fisker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my Wattshine 140W ordered, and it should be here tomorrow. Built a stand for the light today, and shouldn't have any issues getting it hung. Also picked up a clown - dropped her into QT.

Anyone have any ideas as to what percentage I should set the light to when it arrives?

OP
OP
Fisker

Fisker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Light just came in, and I'm impressed with how sturdy the light feels. Build quality is nice, and everything seems well done on the outside.

Hanging the light was an adventure, but I got it done without too many issues. It isn't perfect, but it works. I've got it with the actinics at 80%, and the the whites at around 40% or so.

But... I can't imagine this light being enough for a 20 long, just in the area it covers. At 8" above my 10 gallon, the tank is noticeably dimmer on each end. If you extend the tank by 10", that's going to be a lot of dark space. I assume moving the light higher would work, but the light spread doesn't seem much more at 12" above the tank.

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 41.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back