Upgrading lights

Hp1836

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 ft long 90 gallon display with 4 ai prime 16s over it. Par readings come out to near 300 at the top of the water, top of rock formations around 150- 185, sandy bottom is 40-85.
I want to try some sps but I know par needs to generally be around 250. Is there a way to supplement the light without getting rid of the ai primes that would be enough for sps? Looking at the AI blade right now

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Problem is primes can’t have anything mounted to them. Like quanta bars

You could get more primes or sell the primes and get hydras or a new fixture entirely

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd add the blade or another prime. However, I don't think that par level is too low. A lot of sps are fine with that (and arguably prefer it). What SPS were you thinking of?

OP
OP
H

Hp1836

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 150 par is only at the top of the rocks
I'd add the blade or another prime. However, I don't think that par level is too low. A lot of sps are fine with that (and arguably prefer it). What SPS were you thinking of?
What are some sps that can take that light or less? So far everything I've tried seems to slowly start dissolving over a few weeks until it either bleaches or just disapears

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
add an orphek bar! I did this to supplement my kessil AP9x. They come in a variety of lengths and spectrums. products linked below.

Ophek OR3: https://amzn.to/3TcSJgR
DIY mount: https://amzn.to/4cg6yDW

1710275226684.png

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 150 par is only at the top of the rocks

What are some sps that can take that light or less? So far everything I've tried seems to slowly start dissolving over a few weeks until it either bleaches or just disapears

Which have you tried? I find the montipora species and other non-acros (and even some acros like milli) are fine with lower par but at the top of the rocks is usually a good place for sps in a mixed tank as they can break up the flow for the lps and soft corals further down.

Marquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would love to throw that bar in front of all my current lights.
Pretty easy to use 2 of those mounts with the led bar?
yes, super easy, only slightly challenging part is securing the little screws, but once it's set it's solid. bonus tip, pair it with a smart dimmer so you can control the bar intensity and set a schedule (unless you have a fancy apex or something): https://amzn.to/4aciS6C

Marquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, super easy, only slightly challenging part is securing the little screws, but once it's set it's solid. bonus tip, pair it with a smart dimmer so you can control the bar intensity and set a schedule (unless you have a fancy apex or something): https://amzn.to/4aciS6C
another great product suggestion thank you! could use a couple of those. Only timing systems I have are for lights currently but there's a few other things I want to stop running 24/7

OP
OP
H

Hp1836

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm either going to add in the ai blade or I found a good t5 hybrid fixture for ai primes. Any suggestions as to one way or the other?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm either going to add in the ai blade or I found a good t5 hybrid fixture for ai primes. Any suggestions as to one way or the other?
Eh either will be fine. I personally would prefer the blade but that's just me.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back