Upgrading my lighting

Jisko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so with tax time here I've been investing a lot into my tank starting off with an apex unit, ATO, and dosing system... also a bounce mushroom ;D. However I'm looking at now upgrading my lighting situation. Currently I'm running a Aquatic Life LED strip which is a very low intensity light which doesnt even allow me to grow montis. I feel like my acans also would like more light but im worried about the corals on top of the rocks. Currently I have 3 leathers and frogspawns/hammers on top of the rocks which have to stay in that spot. I'm worried that when I go to upgrade my lights I will have problems with my coral placements. I'd also be very upset to loose some of my more prized pieces. Here is a photo of the tank. Let me know what yall opinions are. I'm looking at getting SBreef lights or Ocean revives.

28061245_1738866169507482_6262782026671928689_o.jpg

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do plan to upgrade and are concerned on placement , I’d highly reccomend finding the best way to make a very smoothe coverage and Light source. Obviously. A couple of kessils isn’t why your aiming for , more like the quality of t5 in terms of coverage and even spread.

That can mean pulling lenses , using diffusion’s or using more units.

My 55 Long I use 3 SBreeflight B.B. and I’m using diffusion right now. It’s literally 48in of Light on a 48in tank. Probaly similar as the strip you’re using now in a way.

I do also HIGHLY reccomend using a meter to set the leds, Par or lux meter. Both of those units you’re looking at are pretty powerful , and your running low to med light coral it sounds like.

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good to me- I'll leave it as it is. Most of your corals looks happy to me.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it :)

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good to me- I'll leave it as it is. Most of your corals looks happy to me.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it :)
Lol. Right? I was just googling that Light. Dig that fab corraline. Really might just need it figure out the apex hack and call it good.

OP
OP
Jisko

Jisko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. Right? I was just googling that Light. Dig that fab corraline. Really might just need it figure out the apex hack and call it good.

Yeah! the tank is setup a year in May and my rock is covered in purple haha

My growth isnt crazy but everything seems to be doing good... What I really wanted to do was order 10-15lbs of rock and fill in the
right side and pull all of them corals to the front and create more caves for fish and add more rock for me to cover. I'd love to have a Hammer garden

OP
OP
Jisko

Jisko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not a T5 or two alongside of your AL strips?
I refuse to use t5s :\ hate how they morph colors and what not. I've had great success with LEDs

I've decided to just hold off and if anything just add a reef bright strip

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back