Upgrading My Skimmer - Your Recommendations for a 120 mixed reef

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey all.

I am going to upgrade the skimmer in my 120 gallon, heavily stocked, mixed reef.

I am not into heavy skimming. I do employ several means of nutrient export. With that said, I am currently very underpowered with my Reef Octopus SS110, which though WAY undersized, has been an awesome work horse for many years, but is starting to show its age. It will become my new backup.

I am looking for an internal protein skimmer under 10x10 footprint, max 23" tall (smaller is ideal) that can handle at least a 100 gallon heavy bioload. Cost is not a big consideration, though good value is of course preferable.

I'm not super into DC. I prefer equipment that is simple with as few things to fix / maintain / adjust / replace / plug in / screw up, as possible. I will consider though, if there is an excellent option out there.

As far as I can tell, the Skimz Monzter SM161, is the closest thing to what I am looking for. I am a bit concerned with long term availability of parts and service, since BRS seems to be discontinuing the line.

I'd like to know if anyone has long term experience with this particular brand / skimmer, since I tend to hold on to my gear for a LONG time.

Please reply with your thoughts and recommendations, whatever brands / styles fit the bill.

Thanks!

U

User1

View Badges
I'm biased. Picked up a Lifereef skimmer back in 1999 - 2000 for my 100 gallon tank. Yours is similar in size. I'm using the same skimmer today on my 210 gallon upgrade. I am looking at redesigning my tank and it may increase to 240 - 300 gallons total water volume. Skimmer will work in that space as well.

So with my bias hat on just saying you may want to look at their skimmers, shoot Jeff an email, and see if it is a fit. Design hasn't really changed because it works. Also if you plan on an upgrade, we all do, it will carry forward should you take care of it. Can use DC pump but as you said that isn't your thing it isn't really Jeff's either so he recommends AC pumps.

I think you will get a lot of information here with a few different brands to choose. Best of luck!

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll second the recommendation of a Lifereef skimmer as well. The 24” Lifereef paired with the highly efficient Sicce ADV 7.0 pump would match very well with your 120 gallon tank. It will also last a very long time due to its exceptional build quality as well as the fact that it doesn’t rely on a proprietary pump.

OP
OP
mattdg

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the recommends. I'll look into it, but on first inspection the website looks outdated and a pain to navigate. Prices are very high too. Really makes me wonder if these skimmers have not quite kept up with what is currently available, especially price wise.

Many skimmers can utilize updated and varied brands of pumps, with very minor mods, if any. I will definitely take the time to study up on them though. I do appreciate tried and true design.

More recommendations welcome. Keep them coming. Thanks!

joseserrano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquamaxx is really good, Tunze, reef octo with those bubble blaster pumps. And if you could afford it, an older bbk

OP
OP
mattdg

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Curious also about the simplicity line of skimmers.

There are a few other posts touting the great value and they truly are very inexpensive. They are DC, but at a very reasonable cost and basic design. The 240 DC fits my sump exactly and is "rated" for 120G heavy bio load.

Regarding longevity, I am not sure about the line of pumps they use. There is no information on the website regarding where they are sourced and manufactured. I did reach out to them directly, but have not yet heard back. I know BRS used to carry them, but no longer do. Wonder why.

I'd love to hear a little bit from long term Simplicity protein skimmer users.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They use rebranded Jebao DC pumps. However, Simplicity does offer good US support and a 3 year warranty to back them up.

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all.

I am going to upgrade the skimmer in my 120 gallon, heavily stocked, mixed reef.

I am not into heavy skimming. I do employ several means of nutrient export. With that said, I am currently very underpowered with my Reef Octopus SS110, which though WAY undersized, has been an awesome work horse for many years, but is starting to show its age. It will become my new backup.

I am looking for an internal protein skimmer under 10x10 footprint, max 23" tall (smaller is ideal) that can handle at least a 100 gallon heavy bioload. Cost is not a big consideration, though good value is of course preferable.

I'm not super into DC. I prefer equipment that is simple with as few things to fix / maintain / adjust / replace / plug in / screw up, as possible. I will consider though, if there is an excellent option out there.

As far as I can tell, the Skimz Monzter SM161, is the closest thing to what I am looking for. I am a bit concerned with long term availability of parts and service, since BRS seems to be discontinuing the line.

I'd like to know if anyone has long term experience with this particular brand / skimmer, since I tend to hold on to my gear for a LONG time.

Please reply with your thoughts and recommendations, whatever brands / styles fit the bill.

Thanks!

I use Coral Box skimmers from Reef Breeders. For the money, they're tough to beat.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CoralBox too uses rebranded Jebao DC pumps. If you go with a CoralBox, definitely purchase it through ReefBreeders as Logan will provide a US warranty and customer support.

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CoralBox too uses rebranded Jebao DC pumps. If you go with a CoralBox, definitely purchase it through ReefBreeders as Logan will provide a US warranty and customer support.

Logan is as good as they come... any issue I ever had with anything, any questions I ever had, everything was dealt with immediately and without issue. I had an email conversation with him about getting the skimmer at 11:30pm on a Tuesday and email responses were within minutes.

OP
OP
mattdg

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'll throw one more at you, in the ultra high end category.

Wondering what people think about their Royal Exlusiv Skimmers, especially long term dependability and customer support?

The model that best fits my system and needs is the mini Bubbleking 180 It is actually perfect in every way, other than not really needing the DC option and the above $1K price. With that said, the Red Dragon pumps look VERY nice. I tend to prefer the straight vs curved skimmers, as well. So much easier to clean.

Please share your experience.

OP
OP
mattdg

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Definitely not a jebao fan. They tend to be a deal breaker for me, due to past experience. Don't like the idea of disposable products. However, quality customer service does make a huge difference. Good to know.

U

User1

View Badges
I'll throw one more at you, in the ultra high end category.

Wondering what people think about their Royal Exlusiv Skimmers, especially long term dependability and customer support?

The model that best fits my system and needs is the mini Bubbleking 180 It is actually perfect in every way, other than not really needing the DC option and the above $1K price. With that said, the Red Dragon pumps look VERY nice. I tend to prefer the straight vs curved skimmers, as well. So much easier to clean.

Please share your experience.

Out of curiosity what makes it ultra high end? The price?

I will say I've not read anything negative about any of their product lines. So if you go on that alone the hobbyists are happy which counts. I can't speak of the products skimmate results so will pass.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While Royal Exclusiv Bubble King skimmers are definitely sexy, I would worry about having just a 2 year warranty. The cost to replace a needlewheel impeller or a DC pump controller box once the warranty is over is ridiculously high.

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the recommends. I'll look into it, but on first inspection the website looks outdated and a pain to navigate. Prices are very high too. Really makes me wonder if these skimmers have not quite kept up with what is currently available, especially price wise.

Many skimmers can utilize updated and varied brands of pumps, with very minor mods, if any. I will definitely take the time to study up on them though. I do appreciate tried and true design.

More recommendations welcome. Keep them coming. Thanks!
If by "outdated" you mean that Jeff relies on a personal consultation by phone to make sure you get exactly what you want then I guess he is guilty as charged. As a person who has owned several of the "top of the line" skimmers such as Bubble King, Vertex, Reef Octopus etc; I finally followed the advice of many a

OP
OP
mattdg

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
While Royal Exclusiv Bubble King skimmers are definitely sexy, I would worry about having just a 2 year warranty. The cost to replace a needlewheel impeller or a DC pump controller box once the warranty is over is ridiculously high.
Very good points. It's basically like purchasing a luxury car, with the expense of luxury upkeep. The hope would be that maintenance intervals were few and far enough between, that it justifies the additional purchase and maintenance expense. Very hard to predict.

Above the question, what makes this ultra high end, was posed. I suppose price, yes, but also quality of the build. I have seen one of the Bubble King skimmers in person next to a variety of popular brands / models. The build quality of the skimmer / pump / controller are all top notch. Thick perfectly welded acrylic, beefy controller with locking connectors, heavy motor with substantial impeller and magnets, Unmistakable. It does instill some confidence, at least for me.

Always searching for the best value that suits my needs, regardless of price being high or low. Just so long as there is a compelling reason for either.

U

User1

View Badges
Very good points. It's basically like purchasing a luxury car, with the expense of luxury upkeep. The hope would be that maintenance intervals were few and far enough between, that it justifies the additional purchase and maintenance expense. Very hard to predict.

Above the question, what makes this ultra high end, was posed. I suppose price, yes, but also quality of the build. I have seen one of the Bubble King skimmers in person next to a variety of popular brands / models. The build quality of the skimmer / pump / controller are all top notch. Thick perfectly welded acrylic, beefy controller with locking connectors, heavy motor with substantial impeller and magnets, Unmistakable. It does instill some confidence, at least for me.

Always searching for the best value that suits my needs, regardless of price being high or low. Just so long as there is a compelling reason for either.

I'm the one that asked :) I was curious is all. As I noted a lot of people love their products and very few complaints posted here or elsewhere. Overall quality that is easy to see. How it performs though that is the challenge - for all skimmers.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 111 58.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 56 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 68 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 32 16.8%
  • Other

Votes: 58 30.4%
Back