Upgrading to much? So you regret it?

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, just a random discussion. Have you upgraded your tank too much? Did you go from a nano to a 200g tank? Did you gradually get bigger over the years and wish you just went big off the bat? Or did you go big and just wish you didn’t? Just curious I’m throwing the idea around of going for the Reefer 750xxl when it comes time to upgrade in the next few years. I’m currently settling with a 65g drilled tank that was used from my LFS.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I price my upgrades with how much it costto fill out with rock, corals, fish after i add my current stock.

If after the equipment side is done, 3 years later i still only have corals in 1/3 of the tank. Upgrade wasn't really a jump i needed to make yet.

My exception would be fish. If i really want a particular fish but it needs 72x24.

Well i might be ok going from 30 to a 180 to have that fish i just need to have. And waiting to have a tank with with enough corals for the .5 decade.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends how much you love the hobby I guess.

In litres I went from 260 to 650 a month later and 4 years later 2000 litres (530usg)

My new system which was custom designed, is much easier to maintain than the smaller one (S650 which I still have) because everything is bigger. It’s also more expensive, considerably, but I guess it may be on the extremes of normal size

In your case, if you love the hobby I would just go straight for the 750XXL to save upgrading later.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I regret having started a 30 gallon reef because about 2 weeks after I got it running I immediately hated it... The aquascape was rushed and caused flow issues, the HOB equipment was pretty ugly and my new fish looked cramped. It was basically a holding tank for a 40B build I took much more time with so my 30 gallon was running for less than 3 months.
;Facepalm Ya live and ya learn. Holding off on any future upgrades until I move again (few years away) and will give myself more time to plan and avoid impulsive decisions..

chowberg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like I always want to upgrade and go bigger. My thoughts are always to get the biggest tank your house, wife, budget allows. However, I think the only time I'm going to be satisfied is when I remodel the house and build myself a fish room LOL

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like I always want to upgrade and go bigger. My thoughts are always to get the biggest tank your house, wife, budget allows. However, I think the only time I'm going to be satisfied is when I remodel the house and build myself a fish room LOL

Agreed. And me too! Although in my area it may be a fish basement/mancave

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I’ve regretted upgrading.
About 15 years ago (that would make me 16-17 at the time) I upgraded from a 350L to a 720L tank and I simply lacked the funds to run such a large system, at least not when you factor in other stuff a young guy might want to spend money on.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved from a 70 gallon into a 105 reef flat, changed the lights (halide pendants) added a rubbermaid sump, upgraded the chiller, slowly upgraded the calcium reactor, added a 40 gallon fish/fuge, upgraded the protein skimmer a few times.

My system was super stable and growing coral weeds until the calcium reactor failed. I upgraded that two or three times with different plastic tubes, replaced the 20 year old pH meter, rebuild the regulator after 2 or 3 failures and recently tossed those for a Carbondoser.

I skipped a lot of details to say this; over the years I've changed out a lot of the parts of the system trying to improve what I have after initially not having the best equipment for the job. I thought I could get by ok with less expensive gear but have routinely upgraded stuff as the tank performance and corals were suffering for a beter ecosystem. If you upgrade, plan to get all the best right up front or else maybe don't bother.

I spent a lot of money by not getting the best equipment up front. I've saved a little on some things but for the big ticket items upgrading is good. Having extra space has obvious rewards and extra requirements for dealing with more water and rock space. Two different aspects of the topic that I wanted to point out.

Too much coffee and pain meds perhaps? I hope this is helpful.
K

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 4 month old 180 is a constant battle. Its starting to come along now but the maintenance going from 55 to a 180 is crazy.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I began with a 28 JBL Cube and moved directly into a 210g display and 90g sump. Never regretted it actually. This was about 14 years ago. I love my 210g. Always easy, no. Always fun, absolutely not. Worth if for me, absolutely!

I find the 210g easiest of my many tanks to maintain. Of course it has better equipment too. Even though I recently (2 years ago) had to change tanks (40yr old glass with leaking to a acrylic beauty) and I have had lots of issues since, I still would not give it up.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I upgrade and downgrade and sidegrade throughout the years. I don't mind it...the build and planning is fun and over time you get much better at aquascaping and maintaining a beautiful tank free of pests.

It was probably easier for me to learn in a small tank and then apply those concepts to a larger one.

Rilo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and No.

I regret some purchases and hoped I went with another one. The things I buy I don't regret there just could have been a better purchase.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I moved from MI to IL I upgraded from a 120 gallon display with ~280 gallon total system volume to a dual display 480 gal & 720 gal with a system volume that totals ~1700 gallons with sumps and the frag tank. I have no regrets other than wanting to go even bigger next time. If you want to go bigger I always found that planning and budgeting for your build are essential to help eliminate buyers remorse.

Johnson556

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got back into the Hobby summer 2017. By April 2018 I had a 240G system, now I have a 20G cube. Just make sure you have a slight understanding where life will take you. I dont regret the 240G system or anyhting as a matter of fact because it ended making me some fun money which translated into a race bike

20G Long -> 40G Breeder -> 90G ->240G -> Reefer 250 -> WaterBox 20G

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started in 2006 with a 54 corner had 10 years. Downgraded to 29 biocube for 3 years now a 210 for the past year. All have benefits. Definitely wish I upgraded to bigger earlier though

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back