UPS delivery late

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: just got my corals and although they are looking kinda rough I’m hoping they’ll be okay. Water was freezing I measured 52 degrees lol.
If it was 52 for a long part of the journey that would be a problem. I suspect it only got that cold near the end of the day, they should be ok.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Glad you have your coral, like mentioned they should be ok. I would have taken a bit extra time to slowly acclimate up, but they are tough cookies.

And @KrisReef is always wise. For those of us that get a lot of packages a quick saw buck on the down low goes a long way. Or get lucky and live near a main hub for them and that always helps

Now let see some pics. :)

U

User1

View Badges
Note to self: DO NOT ORDER LIVESTOCK DURING HOLIDAYS - unless you can make arrangement w/vendor to ship at later date.

Yeah, I was going to post something similar but then I deleted it as it may come across as I'm lecturing or saying something that isn't already obvious and it end up coming across wrong. By no means my intent. Was I was going to try and say is along the lines of yours:

1. I do not typically order during heavy holiday traffic. My cut off is around November 30th or December 7th. Anything beyond that it is crazy town and I don't need the stress nor add it to the poor lads and lasses doing the heavy lifting.

2. Due to C19 most if not all carriers no longer guarantee shipping priorities or have notices or maybe they have been lifted. I don't know but this is always on the back of my mind. With the vaccine starting to move by two heavy hitting manufactures this is going to disrupt the supply chain and shipping. Between now and February expect bumps.

3. Weather. This goes without saying I always check weather for a few days. Since the OP mentioned Pac East I will say that they do this also without really telling people. They know what they are sending out and they review weather. I've had a few calls from them during the summer and they asked if it could be delayed by a few days. I thought it was a nice thing they did by looking out for both parties.

As I said this isn't about what did or didn't happen or saying something is wrong. I am only replying about the holiday comment and also our shelter in place and c19 and its overall impact to moving supplies. I think there are a lot of folks here that provided sound advice on how it is shipped, how may work out, etc. And Pac East packs really good. I'd say 90% of my corals are from them and that is no bull sheet.

TL; DR - hoping it either arrived or will be first tomorrow. They pack well I think you will be set. If you have time and after they settle in please share a few pics. I'm biased - love their corals. I have a couple no names that turned out to look really amazing as they acclimated to my tank.

OP
OP
toadstool_paradise

toadstool_paradise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I was going to post something similar but then I deleted it as it may come across as I'm lecturing or saying something that isn't already obvious and it end up coming across wrong. By no means my intent. Was I was going to try and say is along the lines of yours:

1. I do not typically order during heavy holiday traffic. My cut off is around November 30th or December 7th. Anything beyond that it is crazy town and I don't need the stress nor add it to the poor lads and lasses doing the heavy lifting.

2. Due to C19 most if not all carriers no longer guarantee shipping priorities or have notices or maybe they have been lifted. I don't know but this is always on the back of my mind. With the vaccine starting to move by two heavy hitting manufactures this is going to disrupt the supply chain and shipping. Between now and February expect bumps.

3. Weather. This goes without saying I always check weather for a few days. Since the OP mentioned Pac East I will say that they do this also without really telling people. They know what they are sending out and they review weather. I've had a few calls from them during the summer and they asked if it could be delayed by a few days. I thought it was a nice thing they did by looking out for both parties.

As I said this isn't about what did or didn't happen or saying something is wrong. I am only replying about the holiday comment and also our shelter in place and c19 and its overall impact to moving supplies. I think there are a lot of folks here that provided sound advice on how it is shipped, how may work out, etc. And Pac East packs really good. I'd say 90% of my corals are from them and that is no bull sheet.

TL; DR - hoping it either arrived or will be first tomorrow. They pack well I think you will be set. If you have time and after they settle in please share a few pics. I'm biased - love their corals. I have a couple no names that turned out to look really amazing as they acclimated to my tank.
No it does not sound like a lecture no worries! In my line of work it takes a lot to offend me! I knew better than to order during holidays BUT it is tough to not snag those Black Friday deals ;)

will share pics when acclimated with my crappy phone camera lol

OP
OP
toadstool_paradise

toadstool_paradise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Glad you have your coral, like mentioned they should be ok. I would have taken a bit extra time to slowly acclimate up, but they are tough cookies.

And @KrisReef is always wise. For those of us that get a lot of packages a quick saw buck on the down low goes a long way. Or get lucky and live near a main hub for them and that always helps

Now let see some pics. :)
Toadstool is already opening and have hopes for the shroom. I don’t actually order a ton of corals since I only have one overstuffed to the brim 20gal and knew the shipping might be off since Covid and holidays but they have stunning coral and those Black Friday sales!

Chrisz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh boy I hope my corals don't get lost, got a shipment coming tomorrow, Wisconsin to Minnesota...its a 6 hour drive what could go wrong?

My first time ordering from on line, $300 worth of corals like a kid in a candy store!

Attachments

• viber_image_2020-11-30_19-23-47.jpg
    viber_image_2020-11-30_19-23-47.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 13
  • viber_image_2020-11-30_19-24-21.jpg
    viber_image_2020-11-30_19-24-21.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 19
  • viber_image_2020-11-30_19-25-09.jpg
    viber_image_2020-11-30_19-25-09.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 18
U

User1

View Badges
Toadstool is already opening and have hopes for the shroom. I don’t actually order a ton of corals since I only have one overstuffed to the brim 20gal and knew the shipping might be off since Covid and holidays but they have stunning coral and those Black Friday sales!

First glad shipment arrived. Keep Rachel updated. They are really nice people and run a nice business.

Second if you are to order again in the future especially from Pac East ask if they can hold it. I placed an order, paid for it, and asked them to hold it until I had a break in the weather and Ca fires. They said no problem. I think it was about a two week wait but it allowed me to buy during the sale.

Again all the best to you and yours.

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@saf1 @Salty and Spooky . You guys have me sold, is this PacificEastAquaculture you are talk about?

@Chrisz , had to say nice haul coming. Send some pics if you like. I was not sure, but it looked like you have a blueberry gorg in there. If so, just wanted to be sure you had checked out their care needs.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rachel was amazing too, calling me making sure I got my package and asking about how the corals were. Communication is 10/10 for Pacific East Aquaculture :)
This is really reassuring because I have a lot of coral being delivered tomorrow from PEA; It’s finally cool enough down here in Miami for deliveries.

Chrisz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes looks like I will be doing some feeding, prepared for that shouldn't be a big deal. They are quite small specimens don't expect they will eat much :)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Usually UPS has a live tracker on their website. Lots of time I will track the driver and go find him. The website tracking is pretty accurate as to where the truck is.
That is what I do if shipment is running late

U

User1

View Badges
@saf1 @Salty and Spooky . You guys have me sold, is this PacificEastAquaculture you are talk about?

@Chrisz , had to say nice haul coming. Send some pics if you like. I was not sure, but it looked like you have a blueberry gorg in there. If so, just wanted to be sure you had checked out their care needs.

Yes, I am. So I'm biased as I said most of my corals come from them. I've also ordered two fish. A BIOTA captive bred/raised matted filefish and a BIOTA yellow assessor. Both arrived healthy, no signs issues, bagged very well, etc. I have the yellow assessor still to this day a very shy fish that loves to swim upside down. I'll go about three or four days without seeing it then I'll see it dart out. It is an assessor thing I guess but really fun. The matted filefish was amazing and controlled aiptasia well. The only reason why I no longer have it as it grew it also found a like to zoa's, duncans, and a newly introduced frogspawn frag (from pac east :) ). Anyway I needed the frogspawn to grow as it was small so turned the matted filefish to my LFS.

So to the biased part. They do not really sell the designer corals like walt disney, home wreckers, etc. There are named corals there of course but what I'm trying to say is that they are more, um, natural(?) or common every day corals. There are fancy color morphs and what not but I'll say everything I have so far from them are just acropora, monti this, or some unknown.

I'm trying to think if I've had any issues with livestock from them and I would have to say no, not from shipping or their stock. I had a purple Cespitularia that started to take off then over the span of two days melt away. I ordered another one and it didn't make it 24 hours. It isn't anything they did but more my tank which I can't figure out. The only thing I can think of is that I started to dos tropic marin all for reef and later changed salt to the bio actif and between the two it dropped my nitrates to 0. I didn't pay much attention until I saw a cyno outbreak and tested both nitrate and phosphate and summarized that maybe it is my nitrates being 0. Going to try again after the first of the year.

I also had a beautiful clam, maxima, that I lost. No signs of snails or other duress just over the course of a week gone. I have a new maxima my children purchased from them on Fathers day and it is doing amazing. So Again I think it is related to me, the hobbyist.

Why did I choose Pacific East? I was lurking around their sub forum due to the clams. I have always wanted one but never really had the thought of trying one. One day I sent in a PM about how to handle them. Next day Dr. Mac had a video up and posted a link showing how to handle, care, acclimate, etc. I was sold right then and there. Over the next month he released a few more and I found it interesting. So, I placed an order.

It is the little things that I found they do that set them apart besides being a small business. Rachel would place these little note pad / post it things in the shipment. I would use them to leave notes to my daughter who is nursing school for encouragement messages or smiley faces or what have you. Soon word spread and I had to leave them for my wife and boys :) Another time it was a pen. Next time nothing but always will receive a call on how things are going, arrived, etc.

I think for me it is the small, family business sort of vibe I'm connecting with. I can call, talk, and it works. They do have a big selection. If it isn't visible I've sent pm's (for a bubble coral for example) and he said yeah - he has one. So I'd place an order. Just silly little things.

I know this is long - just my experience. I don't buy a lot but when I do I usually start with them. I'll see what I can add to my cart and buy if it works out. If not I'll try again a little later :D Sorry for the wall of text. All the best.

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I am. So I'm biased as I said most of my corals come from them. I've also ordered two fish. A BIOTA captive bred/raised matted filefish and a BIOTA yellow assessor. Both arrived healthy, no signs issues, bagged very well, etc. I have the yellow assessor still to this day a very shy fish that loves to swim upside down. I'll go about three or four days without seeing it then I'll see it dart out. It is an assessor thing I guess but really fun. The matted filefish was amazing and controlled aiptasia well. The only reason why I no longer have it as it grew it also found a like to zoa's, duncans, and a newly introduced frogspawn frag (from pac east :) ). Anyway I needed the frogspawn to grow as it was small so turned the matted filefish to my LFS.

So to the biased part. They do not really sell the designer corals like walt disney, home wreckers, etc. There are named corals there of course but what I'm trying to say is that they are more, um, natural(?) or common every day corals. There are fancy color morphs and what not but I'll say everything I have so far from them are just acropora, monti this, or some unknown.

I'm trying to think if I've had any issues with livestock from them and I would have to say no, not from shipping or their stock. I had a purple Cespitularia that started to take off then over the span of two days melt away. I ordered another one and it didn't make it 24 hours. It isn't anything they did but more my tank which I can't figure out. The only thing I can think of is that I started to dos tropic marin all for reef and later changed salt to the bio actif and between the two it dropped my nitrates to 0. I didn't pay much attention until I saw a cyno outbreak and tested both nitrate and phosphate and summarized that maybe it is my nitrates being 0. Going to try again after the first of the year.

I also had a beautiful clam, maxima, that I lost. No signs of snails or other duress just over the course of a week gone. I have a new maxima my children purchased from them on Fathers day and it is doing amazing. So Again I think it is related to me, the hobbyist.

Why did I choose Pacific East? I was lurking around their sub forum due to the clams. I have always wanted one but never really had the thought of trying one. One day I sent in a PM about how to handle them. Next day Dr. Mac had a video up and posted a link showing how to handle, care, acclimate, etc. I was sold right then and there. Over the next month he released a few more and I found it interesting. So, I placed an order.

It is the little things that I found they do that set them apart besides being a small business. Rachel would place these little note pad / post it things in the shipment. I would use them to leave notes to my daughter who is nursing school for encouragement messages or smiley faces or what have you. Soon word spread and I had to leave them for my wife and boys :) Another time it was a pen. Next time nothing but always will receive a call on how things are going, arrived, etc.

I think for me it is the small, family business sort of vibe I'm connecting with. I can call, talk, and it works. They do have a big selection. If it isn't visible I've sent pm's (for a bubble coral for example) and he said yeah - he has one. So I'd place an order. Just silly little things.

I know this is long - just my experience. I don't buy a lot but when I do I usually start with them. I'll see what I can add to my cart and buy if it works out. If not I'll try again a little later :D Sorry for the wall of text. All the best.

Thanks, and not to hijack but I have a matted from LA for 2 years now. Favorite fish, next to my sweetlips

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep same exact situation here. Never had an issue before I’m wondering if it was a mistake to ship this week. I don’t have faith the heat pack will keep it totally warm if the back is 30 degrees like it is outside lol
So I got the pieces about 2:30 PM PST ordered from Legendary Corals and POTO... both packages had cold water about 68 - 70 degrees... both had depleted heat packs, I'm fortunate though that the corals are softies mushroom and LC Lemonade stereonephthya.... I'm not sure how other corals would do in this situation.

I was also thinking the same thing you were with the BF/CM sales shipping has to be nuts this year. stressing out!
stressed bill murray GIF

U

User1

View Badges
Thanks, and not to hijack but I have a matted from LA for 2 years now. Favorite fish, next to my sweetlips

They are amazing fish. They are slow, methodical, easy going, non aggressive to other fish, eat well, in most cases keep aiptasia in check, but are also a bit hit or miss on some soft flesh type corals. I've owned two over the years and the first one was a model citizen. This one I caught a lot of flack for trading it in but it zeroed out my Duncan's tentacles, zoa's, and the newly introduced frogspawn. In most cases the corals are mature or large enough to withstand the nip here or there. The frogspawn wasn't and it went right to it after acclimation. Ripped it apart to skeleton only.

It is recovering now and doing well. I'll try again sometime next year but I had to choose :)

To the OP sorry for sort of derailing :) Just sharing information. Hope you don't mind.

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s annoying is I called UPS to see if they could ask the driver to deliver it sooner as it’s live and they tell me there’s no way to contact the driver? Seems bizarre..and the driver has passed my house 5 times between other deliveries too :(
BROOOO, I’d be chasin’ that sucker down.

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Note to self: DO NOT ORDER LIVESTOCK DURING HOLIDAYS - unless you can make arrangement w/vendor to ship at later date.
BUT THE DEALS WERE SOOOOOOOO GOOOD!!!

Black Friday Crash GIF by ADWEEK

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 84 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back