UPS delivery late

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Most vendors put in a heat pack that is usually 24 hours longer than expected delivery time. This time of year is tough because of Black Friday sales, the usual extra heavy shipping for the holidays plus the weather.

My incident was actually back in October - but I broke my rule - about shipping coral - I dont do it in the summer (it can be extremely hot here) - or in the winter (when it can be extremely cold).

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My advice:
Choose the option to have it held at local UPS facility OR for those who’ve seen the truck, intercept the truck, show I.d. And ask for the box explaining there is coral within the box

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My advice:
Choose the option to have it held at local UPS facility OR for those who’ve seen the truck, intercept the truck, show I.d. And ask for the box explaining there is coral within the box
The way the UPS person explained it to me was as follows. The package left the east coast, landed in my city - but was in a shipping container - that they could not open. I could not pick it up anywhere - nor would it be 'unloaded' at a facility. I hate to say this - becasue I use UPS all the time - Fedex seems to be more reliable - Even UPS 'early morning' priority air - which is extremely expensive only says 'delivery AS EARLY as 8AM'. for priority - 1030 is the 'goal' but not guaranteed. Next day air is 3PM - but also not guaranteed.....

OP
OP
toadstool_paradise

toadstool_paradise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a Receiving department for a company for over twenty years. Those poor drivers are so overloaded that most don't stop for breaks or lunch. Usually no heat in the trucks. A ten hour day is typical.
Yep not the drivers fault I’m sure they’re soooo busy. Just sucks for the live goods if they aren’t priority.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can totally relate to all the above shipping issues. The "follow your shipment option" from UPS caused a local driver his job.
I complained once that our local UPS driver literally threw a package at my garage door (we have it on security camera) After that EVERY pkge I ordered was like the last stop on his route intentionally. I used the "follow your shipment" on UPS & recorded it on my home computer. The driver went by our house 8 times, including making 2 stops directly across the street from our house. I sent the recording to UPS and "magically" we've got a new delivery guy & he digs reef tanks.

OP
OP
toadstool_paradise

toadstool_paradise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can totally relate to all the above shipping issues. The "follow your shipment option" from UPS caused a local driver his job.
I complained once that our local UPS driver literally threw a package at my garage door (we have it on security camera) After that EVERY pkge I ordered was like the last stop on his route intentionally. I used the "follow your shipment" on UPS & recorded it on my home computer. The driver went by our house 8 times, including making 2 stops directly across the street from our house. I sent the recording to UPS and "magically" we've got a new delivery guy & he digs reef tanks.
Well that’s what happens when you act like that! Technology will catch you now a days

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's say a package is going from Florida to NJ. Your package goes from the drop-off site onto a truck to an airport hub. From there it goes to another airport hub. Then it may go to a secondary hub then to the distribution warehouse, usually along with maybe 100, 000 packages per day. Then onto the local delivery truck, along with anywhere from 100 to 200 other packages. Believe it or not, most Fed Ex packages go through their hub in Tennessee

OP
OP
toadstool_paradise

toadstool_paradise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's say a package is going from Florida to NJ. Your package goes from the drop-off site onto a truck to an airport hub. From there it goes to another airport hub. Then it may go to a secondary hub then to the distribution warehouse, usually along with maybe 100, 000 packages per day. Then onto the local delivery truck, along with anywhere from 100 to 200 other packages. Believe it or not, most Fed Ex packages go through their hub in Tennessee
Yep I know there’s a ton of packages and so many people order online especially now haha. Just always figured live packages should be priority. Never had an issue before but now I know to not buy during the holidays :)

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep same exact situation here. Never had an issue before I’m wondering if it was a mistake to ship this week. I don’t have faith the heat pack will keep it totally warm if the back is 30 degrees like it is outside lol

I live in a similar cold climate (Vermont) and I do most of my livestock ordering in April/May or Sept/Oct depending on where the stuff is coming from. I've had stuff shipped from Ohio 2 day mail during mild weather without a heat pack and they were fine, but don't want to risk it any other time of the year especially this time of year. I have seen stuff come to my house really late before like around 8:30 pm.

OP
OP
toadstool_paradise

toadstool_paradise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in a similar cold climate (Vermont) and I do most of my livestock ordering in April/May or Sept/Oct depending on where the stuff is coming from. I've had stuff shipped from Ohio 2 day mail during mild weather without a heat pack and they were fine, but don't want to risk it any other time of the year especially this time of year. I have seen stuff come to my house really late before like around 8:30 pm.
Yeah that’s where it looks like this delivery is going. Nowhere near my house and almost 5 pm now. I just hope it comes tonight I have a long workday early in the morning.

OP
OP
toadstool_paradise

toadstool_paradise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually UPS has a live tracker on their website. Lots of time I will track the driver and go find him. The website tracking is pretty accurate as to where the truck is.
A good idea, however I’m feeling pretty sick today and can’t drive with a migraine otherwise I would track them down

xclintonx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am waiting for two fish from the east coast via UPS. Shipped "UPS Next Day Air" and have not arrived yet (2:45 PM). UPS is notorious for showing up at my house at 8PM.

I asked the shipper to send to my office where UPS knows to deliver during business hours. They mistakenly sent it to my home. Fingers crossed the lil guys are still alive when I get them.

OP
OP
toadstool_paradise

toadstool_paradise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am waiting for two fish from the east coast via UPS. Shipped "UPS Next Day Air" and have not arrived yet (2:45 PM). UPS is notorious for showing up at my house at 8PM.

I asked the shipper to send to my office where UPS knows to deliver during business hours. They mistakenly sent it to my home. Fingers crossed the lil guys are still alive when I get them.
Still waiting also, 6pm here and getting super nervous it won’t come tonight

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s annoying is I called UPS to see if they could ask the driver to deliver it sooner as it’s live and they tell me there’s no way to contact the driver? Seems bizarre..and the driver has passed my house 5 times between other deliveries too :(
Free Tip: Meet the driver with a holiday $20 and tell him that you are glad he will bring your live shipments sooner in the future, now that he knows. Our local delivery drivers know us and know that we love them, especially on the holidays.

Tip #2. If next time is a repeat then give him a baseball. Some folk cannot learn to play nice no matter how much you might try with these encouragements. :)

Well I guess my recommendation came a little late. Glad the corals arrived alive.

OP
OP
toadstool_paradise

toadstool_paradise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Free Tip: Meet the driver with a holiday $20 and tell him that you are glad he will bring your live shipments sooner in the future, now that he knows. Our local delivery drivers know us and know that we love them, especially on the holidays.

Tip #2. If next time is a repeat then give him a baseball. Some folk cannot learn to play nice no matter how much you might try with these encouragements. :)

Well I guess my recommendation came a little late. Glad the corals arrived alive.
Haha good recommendation! Mushroom coral looking really rough with a gaping mouth and filaments everywhere. Hoping it pulls through!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back