urchin an coral

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately for 2 similar fish, that’s a though One usually they bully to death. Ideally remove one. However if they are eating, feed them as much as you can. I doubt it will do anything for the aggression but it will toughen them up so they can handle or rather survive the aggression for longer.

pscoma17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have made the same mistake buy having two together I had them in a 210g the outcome was not good hopefully they work for you but mine never stoped bullying the other one

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is crazy. Was just about to post something similar. My longspine urchin is eating the tips off my acros. I was blaming it on my rabbitfish but caught the urchin in the act this morning.

16034594949103023643517696827715.jpg

OP
OP
Lenett

Lenett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately for 2 similar fish, that’s a though One usually they bully to death. Ideally remove one. However if they are eating, feed them as much as you can. I doubt it will do anything for the aggression but it will toughen them up so they can handle or rather survive the aggression for longer.
Would getting another one help?

OP
OP
Lenett

Lenett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is crazy. Was just about to post something similar. My longspine urchin is eating the tips off my acros. I was blaming it on my rabbitfish but caught the urchin in the act this morning.

16034594949103023643517696827715.jpg
It seems my urchin was starving. I didn't have any plants and no green algae. Just coraline and rock. Too clean I guess. Im feeding him nori and frozen brine shrimp. through a feeding tube, so I wont hurt his spines. His mouth is under him, not on top (like I thought at first). He has improved some. Yours may be hungry as well. Keep us posted.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pencils are not reef safe. Longspines usually are unless they are getting hungry - you would eat coral too if you were hungry. Pin Cushions are the safest, IMO, but they do eat a lot of coralline - this is quite welcome to me, but some people get made at this.

OP
OP
Lenett

Lenett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have made the same mistake buy having two together I had them in a 210g the outcome was not good hopefully they work for you but mine never stoped bullying the other one
I am Am going to put in a nano soon! The bully is coming up to eat brine shrimp now too. He remembers everywhere the little one has hidden, and goes there with the other fish. Uncanny! Thanks!
What is a good but modern 10 gal tank to get?
Do you still have that pencil in your tank? I had 6-of them, took 5-out and gave them to a LFS. The 6th was in a crevice at the time and I couldn't pull him out. However, I'm staring at him right now on my back wall next to my MP40. I want him out, but feel bad to kill it by either throwing it in the trashcan or over the fence. At least that way, it would become coyote food. I've suspected before it may damage coral.
Sorry, Ryshark! I didn't realize you were talking to me. Mine is a black long spine, not a pencil. Did you get yours out?

OP
OP
Lenett

Lenett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Am feeding urchin. Seem to be getting better.
Urchin is losing spines. It may be needing something. It lasted through 8 months of my tank being resealed in a 50 gal. Is about 3 years old. My brain frag and a flowering coral are looking good still, but the little green tree isn't doing well. 2 pics. 1befor and1after below.
sorry, thought I sent. I will get the hang of this site one day!

OP
OP
Lenett

Lenett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pencils are not reef safe. Longspines usually are unless they are getting hungry - you would eat coral too if you were hungry. Pin Cushions are the safest, IMO, but they do eat a lot of coralline - this is quite welcome to me, but some people get made at this.
Thanks for the info. I have a pin cushion and the black longspine. He seems happy to be fed. Hope he survives. He just stays at top of tank wall.

OP
OP
Lenett

Lenett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. I have a pin cushion and the black longspine. He seems happy to be fed. Hope he survives. He just stays at top of tank wall.
Never seen an urchin eat an acro. Mine eats the algae around the base of my corals. If I wasn't paying very close attention and watching very closely, it could probably seem like it's eating the base of the coral.
Take him to your fish store

OP
OP
Lenett

Lenett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take him to your fish store
Urchin finally died. I moved my acro to my 17 gal Flufal. He is budding everywhere. My plants are also growing like crazy in there. However my 175 gal doesnt grow plants. My corals are doing well and even expanding on the rock, but not really fast. My shrimp are molting constantly and getting so big. Nitrates are a problem, but all other water parameters are good. Been searching for the best thing to do. It takes 4 hours to do a water change, (after running ro for 2 days). I did 60 gal water change 2 days ago and nitrates are still 20.??? My tank is 2.5 feet deep and lights are leds. Probably 3 feet from lights to bottom. Are the lights the issue? Also have a wet dry sump. Added a reactor a week ago. Started washing my frozen Mysis shrimp. Could it be not enough co2, or is that a problem with a wet dry? Cant figure out how to convert to a refugium. Tried a hang on, but not enough. I keep searching! is carbon dosing, (vodka or No pox) opposing a nitrate reducing reactor and a refugium? I think they all 3 grow a different denitrifying bacteria. This is all confusing! If anyone can help I would appreciate?
The little green tree is an anacropora and your urchin is probably starving if it’s losing spines. Hook it up with some nori on a rock and place it nearby. Those bites don’t look like it’s eating the coral intentionally, just incidental nibbles. Once you get more corals going you will grow to hate urchins. The bulldozers of the reef, the will knock over virtually everything.

Sally.jpg
star polip.jpg blob.jpg

Last edited:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back