OP
Cantusaurus

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True or false their ‘beaks’ can scratch the tank’s glass? :(
False. The glass is pretty strong honestly. And they will politely munch on the glass without damaging or scratching it.
Even my rock urchin that will turn a rock almost white has been on the glass and I've seen his mouth eating and he never left any scratches.

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True or false their ‘beaks’ can scratch the tank’s glass? :(
I have two silicone seams on my nearly new, custom built 215, that have lifted and edges torn (thank you Planet Aquariums!!!) The Banded Long Spine has chunked away some small pieces of those lifted edges, but it's really not HIS fault. (thank you again Planet Aquariums!!!).

schooncw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm. That is really strange. Did they die after a couple weeks to a month? Or a couple days to a week after adding them?
It could be improper acclimation (I was subject to acclimating certain inverts incorrectly).
Some tanks at stores have their salinity at certain levels, and often temperature and much different levels. I have heard temperature for Urchins is often much more important than salinity (within reason). But if both are done carefully I have had success adding a Rock and Variegated to my tank.
It could also be a lack of food. If there is not enough algae (sometimes the tough algae on rocks is not enough/pretty difficult for tuxedos).
And supplementing them weekly could be necessary.
Also nitrate. If the nitrate is too high they may not do well, but I have no idea what that entails exactly since there is different info everywhere.
The urchin pictured in my post eats 2 sheets of nori each day. I have to have 2 clips on opposite sides, so my fish get some.

pdjemail

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
017BA448-0C8B-42C4-B07E-035F924225BC.jpeg
Purple pin cushion with a decorative shell hat

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the word on pencil urchins?
Had one for 5 years, then it went rogue on my softies..... plenty of its natural food in the tank. So back to LFS. Still have my Pincushion 6 years and short spine black 5 years, zero issues, incredible valuable CUC members both.

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They get absolutely massive. I've seen them in the wild, spines as thick as hot dogs and the whole urchin 12"+ across.

Here's my diadema. Never had issues with him. Hard to photograph his iridiphores, but they look cool.
diadema.jpg
I know these guys are not good for acrylic tanks as they will eat, scratch it. Put in glass tanks only!

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished watching a TV show that showed urchins packed "300 to a square meter," knocking down huge kelps forests and making them bare. It was pretty interesting. ;Jawdrop

HK180

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a blue tuxedo urchin for about a year. Every so often, I shuck an oyster and the urchin comes running towards it, sits smack in the middle of it, and (I presume) eats it. I've never heard of this before... anyone else seen something like this?

DoINeedAName?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top 3:
The Variegated - If you have a petco near you I would highly recommend checking to see if they have the Pincushion (Variegated) urchin. If you do see some hopefully they are healthy and doing well. I only paid $12 for mine, and there is a 30 day 'warranty' if they die. But after I acclimated mine and added him was moving around like crazy, and flawlessly acclimated to my tank. I have had him for almost a month.
Tuxedo - They are usually pretty easy. You can buy a captive bred one online since stores usually do not seem to carry captive bred ones for some reason. I think they may be more sensitive to higher nitrate, and should be acclimated really well to ensure they do well.
Shortspine/Rock Urchin - If you see one of these in a store I would highly recommend it!! They are super good! They will clean mostly the rocks, and pretty much scrape it down completely. It is insane. They'll also happily munch on any other algae on the rocks, and glass if they come across it. I like this service since they are helping give the rock space for the beneficial bacteria colonize by removing the algae.
Actually, petco does not warranty saltwater. Only fresh water. I think that’s kinda unfair of them. I have had them sell me dead snails and I notice after I pay for them. Even if I am still in the store, I can not get a different snail. This has happened twice. And once with a fish.

salty joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I noticed I had a dead snail before I left a store and they would not make it right, I'd raise hell right now.

Ghost25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally able to take a clear picture of one of the two pencil urchins that hitchhiked on my rock. They have grown significantly since I first noticed them.

I think they are Eucidaris tribuloides, since the rock was from Florida. Different than the Hawaiian red pencil urchin
Heterocentrotus mamillatus.

pencil urchin.jpg

Kmst80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just having my coffee this morning and staring in the tank and what do i see...another urchin after more than 2 month of never seeing her. I guess it's a tuxedo? Love my hitchikers

Edit: Still staring and there is two now. Never saw them before...lol...
20211211_071034.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cantusaurus

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, petco does not warranty saltwater. Only fresh water. I think that’s kinda unfair of them. I have had them sell me dead snails and I notice after I pay for them. Even if I am still in the store, I can not get a different snail. This has happened twice. And once with a fish.
Really?? That seriously sucks. I think they have policies, but they are all different in terms of which ones they enforce heavily. Mine does give warranty on anything aquatic I believe. They are kinda strict on other policies, and I think most will not nudge down the price if something is very pricey for no reason (such as their corals!!!!!). 30 bucks for a small Xenia frag LOLLL!
But they are definitely not all equal.
If the Urchin looks healthy tho at Petco (and they at least do a decent job caring for the tanks) then I'd get one.
Just make sure the acclimation process is REALLY good.

That's so unfair of them though. Even if it's the "policy". Like what the heck bro I haven't even walked out the store?? I would lose my mind if that happened to me. Sorry to hear that :(

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back