Urchin bag leaked water during shipping

fluked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,
I just received a short spine urchin in the mail in a plastic bag.. obviously the bag leaked and when I received him he was in water that was maybe 1/4 his height.
I've read that air is bad for urchins, so things didnt look good.
I just filled his bag up with tank water, and let him float in my holding tank, but obviously the water flowed between both pretty quickly.
he was moving when I lowered him to the sand as he was keen to get away from him.
Is there anything I can do to help? or does anyone have an idea if its possible for him to make it?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I would think there was enough sloshing of water to keep it wet

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nate Pirate Ship GIF by Barstool Sports
I always worry whenever I put a delicate package in the mail because I know at least 3 people are going to have a chance to chuck that package along the way.

LgTas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the exact same thing happen to me with the same species of urchin.

Mine even had a bald spot where it lost spines from being rubbed against the side of the bag. Was probably in less water than yours. I had no choice but to just dump straight in with no acclimation whatsoever.

Thankfully 2 months later he's happy and healthy and doing what he loves (eating algae and knocking my glued down frags over).

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good to hear! he's currently in a fish/invert only tank, so no frags to knock, but ridiculous amounts of gha
He will mow down some GHA, mine does just be prepared to clean out your power heads and filter socks often.
Mine has been huge at helping me end my GHA blight!!!
I'm glad he made it through his odessy!!!

OP
OP
F

fluked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He will mow down some GHA, mine does just be prepared to clean out your power heads and filter socks often.
Mine has been huge at helping me end my GHA blight!!!
I'm glad he made it through his odessy!!!
He's still alive, so he made it through!
He is an absolute unit when it comes to eating gha! I intentionally let it grow out before getting him to feed it, and he destroys it.

Im running filter floss in front of my filter now to capture all the debris he causes. But absolutely love the guy.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's still alive, so he made it through!
He is an absolute unit when it comes to eating gha! I intentionally let it grow out before getting him to feed it, and he destroys it.

Im running filter floss in front of my filter now to capture all the debris he causes. But absolutely love the guy.
One thing, they steal nori off the clip, first time he found the clip he didn't move off of it for an entire day, the tangs were not happy lol
Now I have to watch him every so often when he nears it lol

OP
OP
F

fluked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing, they steal nori off the clip, first time he found the clip he didn't move off of it for an entire day, the tangs were not happy lol
Now I have to watch him every so often when he nears it lol
Good tip! Mine should be okay though, he's just in my 'evil fish' tank with my dottyback and now my lawnmower blenny that decided it likes eating all my lps, so no tangs that need nori. I just run a lot of white light and feed heavy to keep the tank over growing with gha

LgTas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good tip! Mine should be okay though, he's just in my 'evil fish' tank with my dottyback and now my lawnmower blenny that decided it likes eating all my lps, so no tangs that need nori. I just run a lot of white light and feed heavy to keep the tank over growing with gha
Great to hear he made it! That's going to be one happy urchin by the sounds of it.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back