Urchin Showcase Tank

TroutWithLegs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everybody! i have been toying with the idea of this for a few weeks, but want to see what kind of other tanks yall have. I really want to set up an urchin showcase tank. I personally love longspine sea urchins, Diadema setosum, and want to set something up for them. If you were going to scape a tank just for urchins, how would you do it? looking forward to your replies.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably lots of flat Marco shelf rock, with numerous ledges (etc.) for them to scamper about. And considering how big longspine urchins can get, I'd probably leave a good 6-8" of empty space around your rockscape so they can get between it and the glass.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few boulders, and a gorgonian or 2. Fire coral and Codium macroalgae would also be appropriate.

2021_0226_12351500.jpg
2021_0226_12340000.jpg
2021_0226_12354000.jpg
2021_0226_12364400.jpg

Viridis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tank specifically for urchins (8 in there now, with plans to triple that once the upgrade tank arrives)

They don't care how it's scaped as long as they have room to move. So it's really up to you. As mentioned, since Diadema get quite large, make sure there's plenty of space.

My tank is basically just sand and a couple liferock branches on the bottom to break it up a bit.

OP
OP
TroutWithLegs

TroutWithLegs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tank specifically for urchins (8 in there now, with plans to triple that once the upgrade tank arrives)

They don't care how it's scaped as long as they have room to move. So it's really up to you. As mentioned, since Diadema get quite large, make sure there's plenty of space.

My tank is basically just sand and a couple liferock branches on the bottom to break it up a bit.
Any photos of your tank to share? I'm curious about how you've got the branch rock done. I've had a few tanks with it in the past, but never really fell in love with the scape. Interested in seeing all the urchins running around on it too!

Viridis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any photos of your tank to share? I'm curious about how you've got the branch rock done. I've had a few tanks with it in the past, but never really fell in love with the scape. Interested in seeing all the urchins running around on it too!
I don't as it's mostly just a holding tank. I had the urchins in a high density system (I was doing a feeding trial on some different food mixes), and just threw this tank together when I moved to my current location.

The branch rock is just lying flat on the ground; there's only a couple small pieces. I'm not a huge fan of it, But it's the only brand of dry rock we carry at work. I'm also not a fan of how most pseudo-liverock looks either, so maybe I'm just picky :p.

Once I get the new tank in and set up, I'll post a pic! :D

OP
OP
TroutWithLegs

TroutWithLegs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the input everyone, I just started up the bioreactor again last night for the new tank. Dosed it with a hefty pinch of NH4Cl and some bacteria and seed media from my acro tank. Going to let that run and then start a new build thread I'll link you all too.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back