T

The last don

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update
Fish are all alive I lost a shrimp a cleaner shrimp so far but I can see the back off the tank again so I guess the worst has past for now.
Thanks for quick responses

Intense37754

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Prime and Amguard is something I always keep on hand for emergencies. I don’t know what else I would keep on hand and interested in what else others keep on hand.

When I tested the bacterial bloom I had there was no ammonia when I tested right away, I thought the fish were struggling with ammonia seeing the labored breathing. Got on this site and searched and almost everything I was reading was a bacteria bloom and to get oxygen in there and make sure powerheads are stirring up surface.

Hijinks_78

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prime and Amguard is something I always keep on hand for emergencies. I don’t know what else I would keep on hand and interested in what else others keep on hand.

When I tested the bacterial bloom I had there was no ammonia when I tested right away, I thought the fish were struggling with ammonia seeing the labored breathing. Got on this site and searched and almost everything I was reading was a bacteria bloom and to get oxygen in there and make sure powerheads are stirring up surface.
Yeah I’m not sure the correlation between bacterial bloom and ammonia but op said ammonia was at 2.0 so I personally would make it a priority to get that down.

mr_noodles

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue a couple weeks ago. Had lots of stringy, slimy white stuff all over everything. Unfortunately, I lost the tank. I didn't have enough water on hand to do a large water change and had to run to the store (first store was out of distilled water). The first time it happened, I oxygenated the water with scoop/pour while my friend was doing water changes. I'm currently working on cycling my tank and will definitely be more prepared next time.

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might try some peroxide. I do 1mL per gallon without any problems. Dose when lights are off, it’ll last longer.

OP
OP
T

The last don

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanks is looking it’s self again now still a slight cloud look but it gets less as time goes on.
I wasn’t able to do a big water change but to be honest at the time I could see the tank was getting worse so in my head doing a big water change would only prolong the problem. I wanted to control the bloom before trying to export it.
I hadn’t done a water change for a few months but my parameters where my opinion acceptable.
Ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 0-5 p04 0.5 constantly.
It looks like my doser went crazy and emptyed the nopox. Luckily if I can say that the intake didn’t teach the bottom off the bottle.
Done tests again today. Ammonia is at 0.25 an nitrate is really high at 60ppm
Api test kit so not fully sold on the results but fish look great an eating.
Now the bloom is over I think now is the time to do water changes got some salt on the way and some purigen that I’ve used in the past for keeping nitrate levels under control.
Am cleaning skimmer daily a lot off foam so it’s doing a great job, shout out to the bubble mag5.
But am confidant I can bring this back.

OP
OP
T

The last don

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How it looked yesterday

Attachments

• A72C8690-3F1B-4DE3-B7AE-461A740AB688.MP4
    14.5 MB

2Hearted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanks is looking it’s self again now still a slight cloud look but it gets less as time goes on.
I wasn’t able to do a big water change but to be honest at the time I could see the tank was getting worse so in my head doing a big water change would only prolong the problem. I wanted to control the bloom before trying to export it.
I hadn’t done a water change for a few months but my parameters where my opinion acceptable.
Ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 0-5 p04 0.5 constantly.
It looks like my doser went crazy and emptyed the nopox. Luckily if I can say that the intake didn’t teach the bottom off the bottle.
Done tests again today. Ammonia is at 0.25 an nitrate is really high at 60ppm
Api test kit so not fully sold on the results but fish look great an eating.
Now the bloom is over I think now is the time to do water changes got some salt on the way and some purigen that I’ve used in the past for keeping nitrate levels under control.
Am cleaning skimmer daily a lot off foam so it’s doing a great job, shout out to the bubble mag5.
But am confidant I can bring this back.
So coincidentally, I just went through the same thing. I have a DA Reefkeeper with 3 dosing pumps, and a communication error caused it to overdrive the nopox pump. ( Grrr..)
I heard it, and was able to shut it off - probably after about 1/5 bottle was dumped in. Same thing - hazy/ murky tank, skimmer went bonkers, some white slime on most surfaces. I believe this to be the bacterial bloom cited above. I found the same good advice online, and didn't lose any fish. A few corals were already struggling, and were lost, and most of my snails seem to have died as well. But 3 weeks later and my tank is almost back to normal. Here's what I did:

Discontinue Nopox immediately. (yes, this created an algae bloom down the line - better than mass death, IMO)
Doubled my carbon with a bag in the sump (roughly 5 cups for a 110G system)
Changed out GFO and Carbon in their reactors once a week. Cleaned filters every few days to keep them clear as they were quickly clogging.
Added Airstone to the tank and ran 24/7 for almost 2 weeks.
Daily water changes of 10 gallons (max I can keep prepared at home) until the water was clear
Clean skimmer cup 2-3 times a day during the bad part (overflowing heavy murky foam)
Very light feeding when too murky for fish to see food
Start manual Vibrant schedule after being in the clear

I don't know if this method was perfect, but it seemed to save the majority of my livestock. I'm happy to report my LPS actually look quite happy with the increase in overall dirtiness of the tank, and my fish bounced right back as soon as the water cleared up. The post-nopox tank is not a friendly sight, but it's starting to turn the corner.

So what did I learn? Don't trust technology so much that you don't perform any maintenance on pumps and connections, and try to run a tank without something like nopox that can annihilate your tank overnight.

I hope you have a successful outcome from here forward.

OP
OP
T

The last don

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So coincidentally, I just went through the same thing. I have a DA Reefkeeper with 3 dosing pumps, and a communication error caused it to overdrive the nopox pump. ( Grrr..)
I heard it, and was able to shut it off - probably after about 1/5 bottle was dumped in. Same thing - hazy/ murky tank, skimmer went bonkers, some white slime on most surfaces. I believe this to be the bacterial bloom cited above. I found the same good advice online, and didn't lose any fish. A few corals were already struggling, and were lost, and most of my snails seem to have died as well. But 3 weeks later and my tank is almost back to normal. Here's what I did:

Discontinue Nopox immediately. (yes, this created an algae bloom down the line - better than mass death, IMO)
Doubled my carbon with a bag in the sump (roughly 5 cups for a 110G system)
Changed out GFO and Carbon in their reactors once a week. Cleaned filters every few days to keep them clear as they were quickly clogging.
Added Airstone to the tank and ran 24/7 for almost 2 weeks.
Daily water changes of 10 gallons (max I can keep prepared at home) until the water was clear
Clean skimmer cup 2-3 times a day during the bad part (overflowing heavy murky foam)
Very light feeding when too murky for fish to see food
Start manual Vibrant schedule after being in the clear

I don't know if this method was perfect, but it seemed to save the majority of my livestock. I'm happy to report my LPS actually look quite happy with the increase in overall dirtiness of the tank, and my fish bounced right back as soon as the water cleared up. The post-nopox tank is not a friendly sight, but it's starting to turn the corner.

So what did I learn? Don't trust technology so much that you don't perform any maintenance on pumps and connections, and try to run a tank without something like nopox that can annihilate your tank overnight.

I hope you have a successful outcome from here forward.
What was your parameters like ?
I had a increase in nitrates.
So added a bag of purigen, I was suppose to test everyday after to see the effects but life ain’t allowed the time. On the up side my water has now never looked so clear.
Corels look a lil thin so I started target feeding again.

I still haven’t done a water change

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I am experiencing my first tank crash here.
So I’ve had my tank running 2 years now problems as you would guess but nothing serious.
Alls been week until this morning. Yesterday I cleaned my skimmer the usual way and replaced some carbon.
Also did some hair algie removal from around some gsp.
This morning a awake to a cloudy looking tank. I assumed my new got stuck in a power head but they all there. All the fish are present. So I reach for my test kit.
Ammonia. 2.0ppm never been above 0 before
Nitrite 0 ppm where it usually is
Nitrate. Between 40-20ppm 5 is the highest I’ve ever had

How has this happened over night and what should I be doing here.
I’ve removed the carbon because that’s the only real change I’ve made along side some ato water..
I am heading for some fresh salt water. 25 litres it’s a 250 litre tank.
Am hoping I can get some advice before I get back so I can have a plan off action.
Thanks in advance

Probably a bacterial bloom. Do you have a UV filter?

2Hearted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was your parameters like ?
I had a increase in nitrates.
So added a bag of purigen, I was suppose to test everyday after to see the effects but life ain’t allowed the time. On the up side my water has now never looked so clear.
Corels look a lil thin so I started target feeding again.

I still haven’t done a water change
Have you ever failed at something so badly you didn't want to know the result? That's what happened here, so I didn't test. Not very scientific of me - but I knew it was bad due to the sudden changes in the tank. I'm still combating the algae that grew in the days following the dosage. But like I said, it's getting better.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back