OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow I looked up your wavemakers. I don’t think you have enough flow. Not strong flow at least. Those wavemakers only push out 660gph at 100%, in comparison to a small mp10 (1500+gph)which people put 2 on nano aquariums. The standard wavemaker people use on your tank is mp40’s and those push 4500+gph, most people would use 6 on your tank. I really think that is a major player in all of this. Also .25ppm PO4 is really high, I’d get that down for sure.

Lol you crack me up you looked the wrong ones up silly mine are 2100 gph each times 6 would be 12600 plus my gyre is 3000, plus each return is 3200 which is 6400.
So that would be 6400 plus 3000 is 9400 plus 12600 is 22,000 gph. I have the largest current usa eflux wave makers there are three a 650 a 1200 and 2100. I went w 6 of the 2100 :)

But yes the mp40 are stronger but nobody runs them at 100% because they tear the flesh from sps and other corals. Lfs has two mp40 in a tank same size as mine but is running them under 50%. Which if the math is right that’s still close to 2100 gph. However I don’t run mine at 100% I can’t lol. It will literally make waves in my tank and most of my corals already get blasted. I am usually wave mode on four of them at 100, which is notnas Strong as stream, but the two on stream are maybe 50% and even then I can feel them (with no other wave maker or return on mid tank if not close to 3/4 across the tank. But for my tank size water volume I should be turning 20,000 gph I think.

Last edited:

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol you crack me up you looked the wrong ones up silly mine are 2100 gph each times 6 would be 12600 plus my gyre is 3000, plus each return is 3200 which is 6400.
So that would be 6400 plus 3000 is 9400 plus 12600 is 22,000 gph. I have the largest current usa eflux wave makers there are three a 650 a 1200 and 2100. I went w 6 of the 2100 :)
Oh wow, your right lol. Dang, I thought I solved it, lol. Phosphates are high though ;)

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow, your right lol. Dang, I thought I solved it, lol. Phosphates are high though ;)

Hello,

Yes I’m under the .25ppm but higher than I want. But dropping phosphates seems to be a real struggle and I’m running enough phosguard to carrry a 400 gallon tank. Hmmm

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Yes I’m under the .25ppm but higher than I want. But dropping phosphates seems to be a real struggle and I’m running enough phosguard to carrry a 400 gallon tank. Hmmm
Sounds like a job for a gfo reactor. Phosguard leeches aluminum anyways. .25 really is high though, recommended is like 0.02ppm. So your levels are many many many many times higher than recommended. People that run phosphates really high at 0.1ppm also have nitrates usually 50-60 to balance it out for reference.

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

No, lol doesn’t hurt well yet. But does startle me every time. Plus he is sneaky after the first one or second I’m pretty quick to flick him. What I do now is bring in my turkey baser full, if he comes close I spray him. But every time I expect it and most of the time I about fall off my step ladder because it startles me. All my other fish swim next to me just fine.
That’s funny. Maybe try doing some hand feeding like my son likes to do. Mine have gotten use to a hand being a good thing and not being the actual good stuff. They watch my hand when I’m in there doing stuff, but they seem more curious “why no food” than territorial. Lol

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a job for a gfo reactor. Phosguard leeches aluminum anyways. .25 really is high though, recommended is like 0.02ppm. So your levels are many many many many times higher than recommended. People that run phosphates really high at 0.1ppm also have nitrates usually 50-60 to balance it out for reference.
This is interesting. I didn’t realize the two were so linked. Until the recent water mixing issues, my phosphates hovered around .08 and my nitrates around 20. Not intentionally... just what they were measuring.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's going on over here today :)

High phosphate is my middle name:rolleyes:;Hilarious;Hilarious

Making fish food now

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Maybe I’m just going insane, so if people use the api test my test water it’s just slightly darker than 0 ppm but much lighter than maybe it’s 0.025 ppm. I have to look again but it’s always just a tad darker than undectable but not definitely not as dark as the second color on the chart. Almost home it’s gonna drive me nuts not knowing atm lol.

Omg @jsker you still exist yay how have you been dear friend. Let’s see to make it short of whats going on well I’m going slightly mad, it has finally happened yes finally happened, I think I am going slightly mad because some days I still think I’m a banana tree.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Maybe I’m just going insane, so if people use the api test my test water it’s just slightly darker than 0 ppm but much lighter than maybe it’s 0.025 ppm. I have to look again but it’s always just a tad darker than undectable but not definitely not as dark as the second color on the chart. Almost home it’s gonna drive me nuts not knowing atm lol.

Omg @jsker you still exist yay how have you been dear friend. Let’s see to make it short of whats going on well I’m going slightly mad, it has finally happened yes finally happened, I think I am going slightly mad because some days I still think I’m a banana tree.
People don’t usually use the api phosphate test for reefs. The range is not relevant to reef tanks. The first reading that’s not 0 is 0.25, going all the way up to 10.0 You gotta grab yourself a Hanna checker or at least Red Sea kits.

Last edited:

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People don’t usually use the api phosphate test for reefs. The range is not relevant to reef tanks. The first reading that’s not 0 is 0.25, going all the way up to 10.0 You gotta grab yourself a Hanna checker or at least Red Sea kits.
I have to agree with this. I really like the API ammonia and nitrate tests. Their phosphate test is pretty useless.

Hanna finally came out with a ULR Phosphate tester, so no more phosphorus to phosphate conversions needed. It's what I use and I love it.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to agree with this. I really like the API ammonia and nitrate tests. Their phosphate test is pretty useless.

Hanna finally came out with a ULR Phosphate tester, so no more phosphorus to phosphate conversions needed. It's what I use and I love it.

Hello,

Well my darling friends one of the down side of living in Boise that is literally 90 years behind the normal social culture norms, this is my punishment lol. So @Brew12 where do you actually get those tests?

I’m updating my tank lol, yesterday my nitrates were back down to 2 or less and tank looks much happier. I actually doubled up on the phosguard until my phosphates drop. Not certain the best way or placement of it. I have a phosphate reactor and I’m using the pump etc in my sump now to keep the nasties from settling on the bottom of my sump. So the phosguard is in two bags one where my filter socks are (actuallt in it) and the other is in the section where my skimmer is, and the pump from my gfo actually is in the bag hopefully moving the phosguard around. (Yes I have the main body is the phosguard reactor. However some kiddos accidentally spilled draino in it and I just don’t trust it even after I placed it in the dish washer and then again gave it a vinegar bath.

I promised pics and I honestly spaced it off today but will be posted tomorrow first thing. May add two more of my current usa wave makers to boost flow. I may move to a better skimmer my eshopps s300 3rd gen just isn’t cutting the chicken anymore. May try the newer eshopps x-350 but reading reviews most prefer the one I have now. I can’t even find the specs of my skimmer which maybe it’s being over worked. I will say that my old reef dynamics was loud but wow that thing had no problem handling my old 125 tank and used it briefly on my 240 and it just went to work.

May buy a new phosphate reactor and fun that as well. My concern is that Red Sea nopox doesn’t suggest and warns against using any reactor with me dosing. Reason why it’s not in my tank. However the nopox helps with nitrates, but I have yet see it control phosphates. I have even used double phospahte filter pads to no success. Hmmm

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Well my darling friends one of the down side of living in Boise that is literally 90 years behind the normal social culture norms, this is my punishment lol. So @Brew12 where do you actually get those tests?

I’m updating my tank lol, yesterday my nitrates were back down to 2 or less and tank looks much happier. I actually doubled up on the phosguard until my phosphates drop. Not certain the best way or placement of it. I have a phosphate reactor and I’m using the pump etc in my sump now to keep the nasties from settling on the bottom of my sump. So the phosguard is in two bags one where my filter socks are (actuallt in it) and the other is in the section where my skimmer is, and the pump from my gfo actually is in the bag hopefully moving the phosguard around. (Yes I have the main body is the phosguard reactor. However some kiddos accidentally spilled draino in it and I just don’t trust it even after I placed it in the dish washer and then again gave it a vinegar bath.

I promised pics and I honestly spaced it off today but will be posted tomorrow first thing. May add two more of my current usa wave makers to boost flow. I may move to a better skimmer my eshopps s300 3rd gen just isn’t cutting the chicken anymore. May try the newer eshopps x-350 but reading reviews most prefer the one I have now. I can’t even find the specs of my skimmer which maybe it’s being over worked. I will say that my old reef dynamics was loud but wow that thing had no problem handling my old 125 tank and used it briefly on my 240 and it just went to work.

May buy a new phosphate reactor and fun that as well. My concern is that Red Sea nopox doesn’t suggest and warns against using any reactor with me dosing. Reason why it’s not in my tank. However the nopox helps with nitrates, but I have yet see it control phosphates. I have even used double phospahte filter pads to no success. Hmmm

Crazy, my tank is over 20 ppm nitrates, and I don't *thinkh* it's bothering the corals. I wonder if they'll look even better once it drops more.

Lol... lots of things you're thinking about. I will learn through your example! Can't wait to see the pics tomorrow! :)

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crazy, my tank is over 20 ppm nitrates, and I don't *thinkh* it's bothering the corals. I wonder if they'll look even better once it drops more.

Lol... lots of things you're thinking about. I will learn through your example! Can't wait to see the pics tomorrow! :)

Hello,

I would strongly caution you against dropping nitrates etc. tour corals get use to what your water parameters are, so as you drop this they may just go crazy and rtn or stn on you. I raised mine to 20 nitrates because that’s what my lfs sps dominant tank is, and at times it’s 40ppm. When I tried this I lost five large Acro colonies within 8 hours and sadly I’m still recovering from it.

Yes In theory lower the better but there are lots and lots of people who have sps dominant tank amazing colors and they have huge colonies. It’s literally every tank is different and it’s a crap shot at best. If your tank is pretty new like maybe under 6 months or less then you can probably raise it slowly per week. But if your tank is over that its a good way to lose corals and possibly may be why you lost the monti. Yet my monti tolerates from 2-20 with no issues and its because I allow my tank to sway a little bit in parameters. It’s proven to be effective because in general only my ocean grown corals go mad and die on me. Tank raised have more sway and normally either go grown or no change. My pc rainbow when my tank spiked, went from gorgeous to ugly dead tree in two days. Took three months of the same water parameters and it’s still coming back. I would just be super careful and do it really slow. Lower nutrients, honestly lol have not really proven factual at least in my tank. You also have to be careful that if you get too low then your at risk for dinoflagellates. You do need some of each and when you have super low nutrients drop your alk to 7 and cal probably 400. You want those lower also or your corals could starve and get grumpy.

Yes lol will post photos granted I haven’t fixed my sand bed yet so I stil have the Himalayas mountain range in sand thanks to my goby. K2 is no longer in second place and is now a 9 level mountain. Hoping to make my sand bed a freshly plowed dead corn field here soon. Need to get after some tiny patches of green hair algae. If it’s not one thing it’s another. Plus if my clown bites me again, I’m gonna serve him on toast. Again when I put my hand in where I always feed which is by the frogspawn he came and bite me. Which then I almost got him with the little baby spoon I use to mix their food. He needs to go, I don’t like agressibe fish and since he is a damsel seems to be expected. Still, he needs to behave or he is history, I am not found of mean fish. He does have a huge advantage over me, it’s silly hard to catch a fish in my tank.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I posted was the actual link where I bought mine from. My closest LFS is only about 20 miles away but it's on the other side of a river. Traffic across the river can make it almost an hour each way some days so I order a lot of what I need from Bulk Reef Supply. I've had great luck with Marine Depot, also.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I posted was the actual link where I bought mine from. My closest LFS is only about 20 miles away but it's on the other side of a river. Traffic across the river can make it almost an hour each way some days so I order a lot of what I need from Bulk Reef Supply. I've had great luck with Marine Depot, also.

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I would strongly caution you against dropping nitrates etc. tour corals get use to what your water parameters are, so as you drop this they may just go crazy and rtn or stn on you. I raised mine to 20 nitrates because that’s what my lfs sps dominant tank is, and at times it’s 40ppm. When I tried this I lost five large Acro colonies within 8 hours and sadly I’m still recovering from it.

Yes In theory lower the better but there are lots and lots of people who have sps dominant tank amazing colors and they have huge colonies. It’s literally every tank is different and it’s a crap shot at best. If your tank is pretty new like maybe under 6 months or less then you can probably raise it slowly per week. But if your tank is over that its a good way to lose corals and possibly may be why you lost the monti. Yet my monti tolerates from 2-20 with no issues and its because I allow my tank to sway a little bit in parameters. It’s proven to be effective because in general only my ocean grown corals go mad and die on me. Tank raised have more sway and normally either go grown or no change. My pc rainbow when my tank spiked, went from gorgeous to ugly dead tree in two days. Took three months of the same water parameters and it’s still coming back. I would just be super careful and do it really slow. Lower nutrients, honestly lol have not really proven factual at least in my tank. You also have to be careful that if you get too low then your at risk for dinoflagellates. You do need some of each and when you have super low nutrients drop your alk to 7 and cal probably 400. You want those lower also or your corals could starve and get grumpy.

Yes lol will post photos granted I haven’t fixed my sand bed yet so I stil have the Himalayas mountain range in sand thanks to my goby. K2 is no longer in second place and is now a 9 level mountain. Hoping to make my sand bed a freshly plowed dead corn field here soon. Need to get after some tiny patches of green hair algae. If it’s not one thing it’s another. Plus if my clown bites me again, I’m gonna serve him on toast. Again when I put my hand in where I always feed which is by the frogspawn he came and bite me. Which then I almost got him with the little baby spoon I use to mix their food. He needs to go, I don’t like agressibe fish and since he is a damsel seems to be expected. Still, he needs to behave or he is history, I am not found of mean fish. He does have a huge advantage over me, it’s silly hard to catch a fish in my tank.

You make some great points. The tank was started in January, so it is still on the newer side. My nitrates suddenly spiked to well over 50 about 2 months ago. This is why I stared trying to get them down. They hovered right below 20 before this. I was doing daily water changes until I got them under 50 and once I hit 50, I started doing water changes every other day. They are just over 20 now and once they get under, I plan to go back to weekly water changes. I think it spiked around the time I got my goby, and he was digging like a mad man, so I suspect that was what caused it. He seems to like his cave structures now and isn't moving sand all over the place anymore.

Ad if he's just a mean fish, that's different than him not being use to your hand. I'm sure you could easily find a nicer one. My two are sweet and curious. It's funny how you can get attached to fish.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You make some great points. The tank was started in January, so it is still on the newer side. My nitrates suddenly spiked to well over 50 about 2 months ago. This is why I stared trying to get them down. They hovered right below 20 before this. I was doing daily water changes until I got them under 50 and once I hit 50, I started doing water changes every other day. They are just over 20 now and once they get under, I plan to go back to weekly water changes. I think it spiked around the time I got my goby, and he was digging like a mad man, so I suspect that was what caused it. He seems to like his cave structures now and isn't moving sand all over the place anymore.

Ad if he's just a mean fish, that's different than him not being use to your hand. I'm sure you could easily find a nicer one. My two are sweet and curious. It's funny how you can get attached to fish.

Hello,

Yes my tank was the same and I was doing 80 gallons a week on my 240. It didn’t even make a dent in my nitrates. When I went to the nopox it was do to a lack of viable options. I hope it’s not forever but it’s much cheaper lol. 80 gallons a week at 1.75 a gallon is about 540 dollars a month on water. Where the nopox lasts me about six months and is 24.99. But it keeps my nitrates down and I still do water changes just much smaller to add other nutrients in normal nsw.

My goby actually has made my nitrates go down and good lord he is building K2 on one side and the entire Himalayas mountain range on the middle section. I have to move sand weekly or the whole front of my tank goes to bare bottom and about an inch back. I normally have a 2-3 inch deep sand bed but it’s sooooo white and clean lol.

My clown use to be nice and friendly and take food from me, he use to host my carpet anemone and I would always hand feed it and when I had both they never attacked my hand. I should prescribe him some meds to calm down and suggest anger management lol

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe the nopox is making him have roid rage? ;Hilarious

Do you not make your own water? I haven't done the exact math, but my estimation was that it was far cheaper than that for e to make my own. I can't imagine having to buy that much from the store. AND hauling it around. I was doing 4 - 5 gallon jugs before I got my RODI machine and THAT was getting obnoxious after a few months.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back