Urgh seriously.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like good planning on the stand. You really do need to be able to get the sump out from under the stand for cleaning or future upgrades or repairs, if needed. I am amazed at the number of people faced with the dilemma of how to get a sump out from under their tank, because it either went in from the back or the top when the tank was empty. I had a large door on the end of my 200 stand that I built back in the 80s. I am assuming this place building your stand is familiar with aquarium stands and the weight involved? Hope so.

I would think that you would enjoy water testing, with you being in the medical profession and constantly watching numbers. Your tank is doing fine with you doing what you are doing, so don't get too hung up on chasing numbers with it now. :)

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m getting good at testing my own water and not sure why I test everyday but it relaxes me that I know where things are way more often.
I don't test every day anymore unless I am worried about something. #1 reason to test is to make you feel comfortable with what is happening with your tank.

I would think that you would enjoy water testing, with you being in the medical profession and constantly watching numbers. Your tank is doing fine with you doing what you are doing, so don't get too hung up on chasing numbers with it now. :)
+1 on this. Testing daily is fine. Taking actions daily as a result of those test? May not be smart.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

You know my niece loves Batman and everything has to be about Batman or black panther. But good lord, can she pick a better car seat? Every time I get in my Jeep and she isn’t in the darn seat, he scares the bezeus out of me and blows my heart up. Every morning and or night Batman gives me a heart attack.

50606492-94C7-4FD1-9918-D90BD7A27EC7.jpeg

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

You know my niece loves Batman and everything has to be about Batman or black panther. But good lord, can she pick a better car seat? Every time I get in my Jeep and she isn’t in the darn seat, he scares the bezeus out of me and blows my heart up. Every morning and or night Batman gives me a heart attack.

HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa!! That would scare the heck out of me too!
emo_omg.png

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Like you should ... ahh i mean really like you could just toss like a sheet or something over it..Like it would be that hard to do....

Are you Blonde ???????

ohh wait i am blonde.... oops

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Put a clown nose on him when she is not in the car and then you will laugh instead.

987371BD-81C1-46A4-A62A-AF60C395FBAA.jpeg

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Erica-Renee lol am I blonde lol well I changed my hair color from blonde to brown for two reasons. First, I heard Batman kidnaps blondes, and he always seems to lurk around. So to keep little me safe I wanted something permanent, so I sprayed painted my hair dark brown :). The other reason is, I found out that I had a better chance of getting cheaper insurance with brown hair than blonde:). I wonder what purple or blue hair would look like on me.

I have lots of sheets lol, but it’s embarrassing, they are all strawberry short cake, my little pony and Barbie:).

@NY_Caveman lol omg I don’t think I could do the clown nose that’s worse. Ever heard of Percy the clown, Urgh so
Having nightmares now thanks lol.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

So you all thought I didn’t know what an 8 track was right. My dad needed to borrow my Jeep so I had to use his 73 Chrysler and look he still has an 8 track in it. But who in the heck is south sea island magic lol. This is elevator music st it’s best.

0C5F7700-6156-4CFA-A27B-784DDC8E0E37.jpeg

5CC19A14-656A-456A-90C7-2929DD5F5526.jpeg

1276AE23-B525-4F41-8490-D6E88EF5C1E3.jpeg

2E820BA9-7BB4-4F1E-9BBA-7BD7B420F760.jpeg

That is a true classic

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Erica-Renee lol am I blonde lol well I changed my hair color from blonde to brown for two reasons. First, I heard Batman kidnaps blondes, and he always seems to lurk around. So to keep little me safe I wanted something permanent, so I sprayed painted my hair dark brown :). The other reason is, I found out that I had a better chance of getting cheaper insurance with brown hair than blonde:). I wonder what purple or blue hair would look like on me.

I have lots of sheets lol, but it’s embarrassing, they are all strawberry short cake, my little pony and Barbie:).

@NY_Caveman lol omg I don’t think I could do the clown nose that’s worse. Ever heard of Percy the clown, Urgh so
Having nightmares now thanks lol.

AHH We need to go shopping.... Get Those Credit cards warmed up. This is gonna be a Fun Ride

I changed my hair color to red once.. Never had so many guys and Chics try to pick me up in my life... Being stalked in a Lumber yard is no fun...
One guy said WOW MY dream come true Hot red hair and Drives a Giant Truck.. I told him my WIFE is not as nice as me... HEHEHE..

but Barbie... really????

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AHH We need to go shopping.... Get Those Credit cards warmed up. This is gonna be a Fun Ride

I changed my hair color to red once.. Never had so many guys and Chics try to pick me up in my life... Being stalked in a Lumber yard is no fun...
One guy said WOW MY dream come true Hot red hair and Drives a Giant Truck.. I told him my WIFE is not as nice as me... HEHEHE..

but Barbie... really????

Hello,

Yes I probably should use my credit card a little more often lol. I get mean phone calls because of inactivity and they actually owe me money. That really sets them off, when I mention that they could always just close my card and send me the 1,867.13 dollars to me. They usually leave me alone after that.

Yes I have Barbie, why you ask, because I’m the only one who makes her jealous. :) If you think a lumber yard is bad, try a hospital, and patients who do dumb things for a living. Oh gosh, how did I end up on something totally off subject again on my own thread, bad Batman I blame you.

Yes, I do have an update for my tanks but this has been more fun to write atm lol.

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Yes I probably should use my credit card a little more often lol. I get mean phone calls because of inactivity and they actually owe me money. That really sets them off, when I mention that they could always just close my card and send me the 1,867.13 dollars to me. They usually leave me alone after that.

Yes I have Barbie, why you ask, because I’m the only one who makes her jealous. :) If you think a lumber yard is bad, try a hospital, and patients who do dumb things for a living. Oh gosh, how did I end up on something totally off subject again on my own thread, bad Batman I blame you.

Yes, I do have an update for my tanks but this has been more fun to write atm lol.

You mean there is a Topic to this thread... I thought this thread was about ME.. ME ME ME ME ME AND Me Oops ...

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Okay so as I didn’t have time today, I made time to work on my 240. I recently added a 3rd marine pro, and even with the lights turned way down, it was just overkill. After noticing a few corals starting to stress I just went back to the normal plan. I removed the light, (kept the cords and power supply etc in place, just removed the light). Then I went back to my old tape marks of where things where before.

I also will slowly go back to the way I kept my water. Every one kept saying that have some nitrates 10-15 even 20 ppm was good for the tank and would promote color. Now, I’m most of my sps, all but two, they have colored up some but not oh wow golly gee. What I have noticed is that my birds nest, Wells, trac, and small small acans suffered. Not sure if it was the light or the water. I still ran 8 on alk, and 440 on cal, nothing else really changed except I added oyster reef to the food supply.

My two small acans (maybe four heads ) did great on the old method, and not so good on the new method. Fish have been awesome no issues at all. I also noticed that acros are not super happy if they get blasted by the wave makers if on solid stream. I have noticed the wave action is much more preferable.

So what does this all mean lol, well I was dumb and broke my own rule and changed things. I’m thankful I didn’t lose anything huge (well sniff sniff I had a beautiful ice dragon Acro who was super tiny. She grew to about twice her shipped size maybe just under half inch). Then out of the blue one of my over zealous turbo snails plowed her over). In doing so, I can’t find where the ice dragon landed or if it’s still stuck to the snail. I didn’t notice till I was cleaning my tank glass ).

So I’m gonna try and go back to just my normal lighting method, and keep my water cleaner than what I was hoping would benefit a mixed reef. I also added my filter socks back on to also since they were in the orginal plan.

98% of my tank looks still really amazing, but definitely had had better luck by just leaving it alone. I did have a pearl berry where it looks like he is bleaching but wondering if it was just blasted by the wave maker. It’s only on one side and still looks like the polyps are out of srill there. So we will have to see. The nice part is he was a twin twig, so it’s only on one of them but he is also encrusted where he can start growing up again as well.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Okay so as I didn’t have time today, I made time to work on my 240. I recently added a 3rd marine pro, and even with the lights turned way down, it was just overkill. After noticing a few corals starting to stress I just went back to the normal plan. I removed the light, (kept the cords and power supply etc in place, just removed the light). Then I went back to my old tape marks of where things where before.

I also will slowly go back to the way I kept my water. Every one kept saying that have some nitrates 10-15 even 20 ppm was good for the tank and would promote color. Now, I’m most of my sps, all but two, they have colored up some but not oh wow golly gee. What I have noticed is that my birds nest, Wells, trac, and small small acans suffered. Not sure if it was the light or the water. I still ran 8 on alk, and 440 on cal, nothing else really changed except I added oyster reef to the food supply.

My two small acans (maybe four heads ) did great on the old method, and not so good on the new method. Fish have been awesome no issues at all. I also noticed that acros are not super happy if they get blasted by the wave makers if on solid stream. I have noticed the wave action is much more preferable.

So what does this all mean lol, well I was dumb and broke my own rule and changed things. I’m thankful I didn’t lose anything huge (well sniff sniff I had a beautiful ice dragon Acro who was super tiny. She grew to about twice her shipped size maybe just under half inch). Then out of the blue one of my over zealous turbo snails plowed her over). In doing so, I can’t find where the ice dragon landed or if it’s still stuck to the snail. I didn’t notice till I was cleaning my tank glass ).

So I’m gonna try and go back to just my normal lighting method, and keep my water cleaner than what I was hoping would benefit a mixed reef. I also added my filter socks back on to also since they were in the orginal plan.

98% of my tank looks still really amazing, but definitely had had better luck by just leaving it alone. I did have a pearl berry where it looks like he is bleaching but wondering if it was just blasted by the wave maker. It’s only on one side and still looks like the polyps are out of srill there. So we will have to see. The nice part is he was a twin twig, so it’s only on one of them but he is also encrusted where he can start growing up again as well.
Changes are OK, but you made a lot of changes quickly. In the future, figure out what changes you want to make and pick one to do at a time. That way your coral have time to adjust to each change and you can tell if something is making a positive or negative impact.

When adding more light, it is best done with a PAR meter. Measure your PAR with the old light settings. Install the new light and dial all 3 to try and achieve the same total PAR as before. Then increase lighting intensity to the new higher desired value over 3 to 4 weeks.

I also agree that coral seem to do better under more chaotic flow conditions. Setting a pump to a constant stream can work, but it does not seem to work as well.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

So I did a 25 gallon water change and most things are back to old normal yay. Nitrates still seem to be a little high like between 10-15ppm, I may do an additional 20 gallon water change today, since I’m off. The corals even the ones who were made at me seem to like two lights much better than three lol. I did measure the par on my sand bed in which my tank is 34 in tall (yes I have to wear a snorkel to clean it,
Or take a bath), and the par was about 200-240 consistently through out. The surface par was close to 1100 plus and three inches down was low 800s and high 700s. I didn’t measure what the par was for three but I turned the lights way down. Clearly lol not enough, for my some of my corals.

So lesson learned (so feel like Homer Simpson), and the theory of if it’s not broke don’t fix still holds water. :). Now hopefully with changes going back, to normal some of my tank will merge back, but may take some time.

For those who question if the orbit marine pros (not the ic version) have enough power, that is an absolute yes, they will cook your tank. Having 200 par in a 34 inch tall tank I guess shows that. But it has also been shown consistently that corals only need 200 par to thrive. It was proven in my tank that more doesn’t mean better. Some days I feel so dumb for even having the idea. Yes my main goal was to eliminate possibke shading because of the 60 degree lens. The problem is, even turning the lights down means I increased the total light by a whole 33%, which is quite a bit of light. Should have used common sense, instead of lol the scientific method. Common sense score 1, scientific score 0. :)

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back