Urgh seriously.

mike werner

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sarah,just saw this thread and wow.probably one of the most interesting and funny threads I have read on r2r.
it could have been worse.you could have found him sitting on it with a roll of toilet paper in his hand asking to be wiped.did you check the sump for toilet paper?did he put the lid down after he was finished?did he wash his hands when he was finished?if he did did he use the sink or the sump?

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Thank you for the kind compliment, and well they are 3 and 5, lol it would surprise me if they have already tried to do that. I’m glad this has been a good thread for you in several ways. Most of all, I’m glad you have smiled some or laughed some.

Stay tuned lol I’m still trying to roll myself through some rolling pins to get all the water out of me, from my last hoorah. But I’m very glad you have enjoyed it, I will start a new one here soon about my coral burial ground. :) I have had several requests for that one as well.

Sincerely
Sarah

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

So lol in a moment of stupidity on my behalf, I will give some people maybe a good laugh. Now earlier I stated I had to do a water change, which is normally 70 gallons. Some wanted a build thread of a tank, well I will give you all something even better.

I decided to put a salt water tank (set of course in the back of my Jeep Wrangler). How did one accomplish so fast, it’s very simple. First buy some five gallon water jugs at wall mart. I can’t lift anything else because, well they weigh about half of what I do. (It’s also my daily work out).

So I went to my local fish shop, to get salt water in said jugs. In which they were nice enough to load them for me. Now these come with screw on lids. Most people usually when filled with some kind of fluid usually put the lids on. Well clearly the new guy at the lfs, shop had no idea what their actual purpose in life was.

So as my driving home, it’s nornal for my water jugs to fall over and roll around. Nothing new to me. Now if you can picture this lol please do. I pull into my drive way, and get out of my Jeep and go to open the back door. As I open it I am blasted with about 70 gallons of water coming out of my Jeep. The guy didn’t put a single lid on my water jugs (I didn’t think it was too big of a mystery; but hey to each their own right). Now that I’m soaked to the bone, as if someone threw me into a swimming pool like a Barbie doll.

There is still a ton of water dribbling out of the back of my Jeep. Now if you can picture this, my dad bought my Jeep, it’s not a girls jeeps it’s a total guys Jeep. In which the back has seats but has a liner or whatever in the back etc. that you can just spray with water and it keeps the Jeep dry I guess. Is that true, nope, other than my back seats the rest of the back of thof Jeep is well wet and salty.

As I went to change out of my soggy clothes that stuck to me like some dipped me in a big bowl of log cabin maple syrup, getting my clothes off was actually just unpleasant. Plus for the first time I was over 90 pounds I gained 30 pounds and it was all water. Now that I’m dried off, I grabbed tons of towels, six to be exact. I soaked every single towel with water, plus two more.

I really tried to do a new saltwater tank, it just didn’t work out to well. But I can say I was able to get the full reefing experience. I can’t say being water logged is my all time favorite feeling. Nope, it’s really cold, and I’m still cold.

The moral of the story, lol don’t trust the lfs to put your water jug lids back on. Because, if you do, you to can have a salt water tank in the back of your vehicle. Now I’m not sure how to get everything out so I don’t rust my Jeep. But those little lids really do have a purpose here on earth, it’s to keep the water in the water jugs, when they roll around.

Sarah
You just can't catch a break!

If I had the problem with the jeep I would keep dumping tap water into it and vacuuming it out with a carpet cleaner or wet/dry vac. I would do it quite a few times just to try and flush the salt out. Then I would shampoo everything really well to help avoid any odor issues.

If you don't have the time or equipment, your next best bet may be to find a local car detailer and explain what happened. Get them to do something similar to what I suggested unless they can offer a better solution.

Or, you could have one of your fellow doctors clean it out for you while you drive to and from work. After all, doctors fix things while they are still running! :p

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You just can't catch a break!

If I had the problem with the jeep I would keep dumping tap water into it and vacuuming it out with a carpet cleaner or wet/dry vac. I would do it quite a few times just to try and flush the salt out. Then I would shampoo everything really well to help avoid any odor issues.

If you don't have the time or equipment, your next best bet may be to find a local car detailer and explain what happened. Get them to do something similar to what I suggested unless they can offer a better solution.

Good morning,

I was to say a little frustrated over my failure to have a saltwater tank in the back of my Jeep. Today I spoke with the person, who filled and loaded my water. In his defense he said it’s a Jeep, why are you complaining, spray it with the hose she’ll be grand.

I didn’t know at that point to laugh or actually for the first time scold someone. Instead, I said oh well and hung up. Within about 15 min, the keener called me back and said he was terribly sorry. He asked for my schedule, so he could arrange my vehicle to be sent to a professional cleaner.

The local fish shop and I, (the main one I go to have always been very very good friends). I was mortified because I know how hard it is to run a small business and make a profit. Even after trying to refuse, the kind gesture he insisted in which I didn’t want to be rude. I did say I was sorry for being kind of blunt to his new worker. (I said you know there is a reason they come with lids). In the owners response, he laughed and said,” In all my years of knowing you, not once have you been mean or rude to anyone. When I spoke to the person involved, he said that you were extremely rude, cussing and swearing at him. (Which I haven’t said a bad word ever lol). In addition two others chimes in and once they figured it was me, everyone of his coworkers said there is no possible way, I yelled and cussed him out. The owner said that they had to part ways, not because of the mistake, but of dishonesty.

It’s nice to have the support of people who know your a good person. As much as I tried to say, the person didn’t need to lose their new job, the owner wouldn’t have it. We have much respect for each other, so I respected his decision. Still, I feel bad because people do make mistakes, they shouldn’t lie about it, but things happen. But, at least my Jeep gets all pretty again, and (not like it’s ever dirty ever, but I guess it’s a Jeep, just through it in the wash it’ll be grand!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ancient Chinese proverb. "A reputation, like fine china, is easily damaged and never fully mended."

I love that your story shows how important a reputation can be, even with a LFS. One of you acts appropriately, all of the time, and reaps the benefits. The other tries to take the easy way out, and suffers the consequences.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

So I tried to post and forgot to hit post oops, it’s lack of sleep. But if it shows up twice it really means lack of sleep.

This morning I called my lfs this morning and spoke to the same person who filled my water and loaded it. I informed him of what happened, and his response was, “it’s a Jeep wash it with the hose it’ll be grand”. As I was kind of frustrated I just hung the phone up. Within 5-15 min give or take the owner called me and apologized to me. We have always had an amazing relationship since I have been feeding. He wanted to know my schedule so he could have my Jeep professionally cleaned. Knowing that he had a small business and how hard it is to make a profit, I told him it was okay. He insisted, and I didn’t want to be unappreciative of the generous act. I then told him that I was sorry for being kind of blunt to his new worker. In our conversation I simply stated that, there are reasons these water bottles have lids.

In speaking with owner he told me he did speak to him and that the person said I was very mean and was cussing at him. (I never say bad words lol, and I’m very very rarely mean). After his co workers and owner found out it was me, they actually called him on what he said. When the owner and I spoke I told him it’s okay and I was very appreciative for him cleaning my Jeep. The owner told me I wouldn’t have to deal with him, because they went separate ways. I didn’t wish that to happen because everyone makes mistakes. Which I was told it’s not about the mistake, it was about the dishonesty.

I have always had major respect for this store and have even more now. Still feel bad about the person not having a job now, but honesty can go along ways. I felt it would have been rude to argue with the owner since it is his store.

Even now I guess the ex employee was right on one thing, “it’s s Jeep wash it with a hose it’ll be grand!” It’s just being washed with a couple of professional hoses:)

If this posted twice it means I’m super tired lol.

Sarah

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

So I tried to post and forgot to hit post oops, it’s lack of sleep. But if it shows up twice it really means lack of sleep.

This morning I called my lfs this morning and spoke to the same person who filled my water and loaded it. I informed him of what happened, and his response was, “it’s a Jeep wash it with the hose it’ll be grand”. As I was kind of frustrated I just hung the phone up. Within 5-15 min give or take the owner called me and apologized to me. We have always had an amazing relationship since I have been feeding. He wanted to know my schedule so he could have my Jeep professionally cleaned. Knowing that he had a small business and how hard it is to make a profit, I told him it was okay. He insisted, and I didn’t want to be unappreciative of the generous act. I then told him that I was sorry for being kind of blunt to his new worker. In our conversation I simply stated that, there are reasons these water bottles have lids.

In speaking with owner he told me he did speak to him and that the person said I was very mean and was cussing at him. (I never say bad words lol, and I’m very very rarely mean). After his co workers and owner found out it was me, they actually called him on what he said. When the owner and I spoke I told him it’s okay and I was very appreciative for him cleaning my Jeep. The owner told me I wouldn’t have to deal with him, because they went separate ways. I didn’t wish that to happen because everyone makes mistakes. Which I was told it’s not about the mistake, it was about the dishonesty.

I have always had major respect for this store and have even more now. Still feel bad about the person not having a job now, but honesty can go along ways. I felt it would have been rude to argue with the owner since it is his store.

Even now I guess the ex employee was right on one thing, “it’s s Jeep wash it with a hose it’ll be grand!” It’s just being washed with a couple of professional hoses:)

If this posted twice it means I’m super tired lol.

Sarah
You are super tired. You posted it the first time inside the quote box so it didn't show up normal.

Get some sleep!

Mark Derail

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Don’t get me wrong I love my brother and nephews dearly, but sometimes their dad drives me crazy. I’m just getting tired of doing all their dishes and laundry and whatnot. Most of the time my work shifts are 24 hours, so when I get home I’m exhausted. (I just want to sleep, which I do if I am caught up with school work). But he always asked me to help with his kids, or make them food or help with their laundry etc. As I am one who tries to help, it annoys me that after working a 24hr shift, I have to come home and make food for my brother and his children, clean etc. and he doesn’t work at all, or has any responsibilities. I’m not sure why nothing is ever done, when I ask he says please don’t be mom. Lol well what else am I suppose to do? (I just realized how poorly written my last paragraph is, I’m just too brain fried and tired to edit, please forgive me).

I'd venture to say that he is depressed - overwhelmed with responsability. He needs to man-up and take control. He won't, as long as life is easy.

My advice - make his life complicated. Make a list with consequences, consequence either money-based or favor-based. Make the favors a b1tch, like cleaning the bathroom while you watch over.

He thinks he needs a SO that will be a "second Mom" that will clean up for him & his kids, and will mooch you to no end. So find ways you can profit from, in exchange for the complications.

*** Try to keep your Mom / Dad out of it - as he will back into "kid mode" with them.

**** Treats - rewards for good behavior - you babysit and he gets to go out with buddies/beer.

From the Big Bang Theory - where Sheldon trains Penny. Applicable.

And a song to lift your spirits up.

Mark Derail

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Well yesterday my brother broke the camels back with me and, I had no choice but to make him leave.
I hate decisions that could hinder my character, and or everything I have accomplished. Having to report my brother is and has been the worst experience ever. Urgh

You did an "Adult Thing" - if anything, it will make your "baby" brother man up, and he'll even thank you later. Kudos to you, that's not easy.

It's weird, but men need to do man things, that make us seem valuable. However for a "generalist" that not any good in any one thing in particular, it's easy to fall into depression - but not acknowledge said depression.

My SO, her Ex, is similar - except that he's pushing 55yrs! He needs therapy, either from a good friend that is OK, or a professional. If he's no longer living with you, unload his "problem" with your parents. It's their kid, not yours.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have no idea how to move threads or that it was possible. I don’t want to violate any rules, etc and definitely don’t want to annoy anyone etc. I try to stay within the focus and give updates as to the particular situation, I just have added to it.

tangtime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have no idea how to move threads or that it was possible. I don’t want to violate any rules, etc and definitely don’t want to annoy anyone etc. I try to stay within the focus and give updates as to the particular situation, I just have added to it.

A mod has to. This is just a bunch of family drama now, not a tank emergency. I’ve reported it so hopefully they can move it.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nephews lol they would rather play Lego’s and super hero’s and what not. They keep asking me to be a super hero with them, yet when I ask who they want me to be, it’s always dog wonder. (Who the heck is Dog Wonder, is that even a super hero)? I asked them if they mean scooby doo, Nope dog wonder!
I was going to say Underdog, but that is from my childhood - many, many moons ago (not quite as old as your elderly patient). I think this is who they want you to be -

"Dynomutt - Dog Wonder!" :)

Dynomutt_Dog_Wonder_small.jpg

Your tank looks great! Glad you didn't end up having to send a sample out for urinalysis! :D

I enjoy reading this thread, so keep it going. They probably should move it to the Lounge now though, but the mods will handle that.

As far as the Jeep goes, be sure to take your LFS owner's offer to have someone clean that out thoroughly. If it got into any of your wiring, I would suggest getting any connectors taken apart and cleaned properly and have them put some dielectric grease on them to prevent future corrosion. They really should pull any of the wet (or even damp) interior out of the vehicle and clean it well - it would be preferable to replace any carpet (or mat) padding that got wet. It will hold onto moisture and could mildew and smell. This sort of thing is also covered under your vehicle's comprehensive insurance coverage, if you have comp. Salt water is not your vehicle's friend. Don't take what happened lightly.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to say Underdog, but that is from my childhood - many, many moons ago (not quite as old as your elderly patient). I think this is who they want you to be -

"Dynomutt - Dog Wonder!" :)

Dynomutt_Dog_Wonder_small.jpg

Your tank looks great! Glad you didn't end up having to send a sample out for urinalysis! :D

I enjoy reading this thread, so keep it going. They probably should move it to the Lounge now though, but the mods will handle that.

As far as the Jeep goes, be sure to take your LFS owner's offer to have someone clean that out thoroughly. If it got into any of your wiring, I would suggest getting any connectors taken apart and cleaned properly and have them put some dielectric grease on them to prevent future corrosion. They really should pull any of the wet (or even damp) interior out of the vehicle and clean it well - it would be preferable to replace any carpet (or mat) padding that got wet. It will hold onto moisture and could mildew and smell. This sort of thing is also covered under your vehicle's comprehensive insurance coverage, if you have comp. Salt water is not your vehicle's friend. Don't take what happened lightly.

Good evening,

lol so that’s the lovely dyno mutt super hero, yup I can see him In me. I love when my nephews, and niece scratch me behind the ears, and of course I’m everyone’s best friend (well not everyone’s but sure try to be) maybe not a best friend but one who supports (especially here it’s the most friends I have had). If anyone wants to help me learn to walk on all fours and find me a super hero cape, I’d forever adore you. Plus since I’m not found of Scooby snacks, maybe some gummy bears will work better.

My lfs are such a bunch of amazing people, not only did they clean my Jeep, but the owner gave me an amazing deal on two scolys, and a hydrofora. Which I just wanna say I felt really bad and tried to talk him out of it, until he and his co workers showed me duct tape. But I will say they are nice additions to my family of critters.

After I filled my bottles up with water once again lol, and nope I didn’t get soaked this time around. I had my water tested and everything is looking really good. My tank is back to normal and has no occupants:).

A4BBFD9C-56CB-4843-B610-F2F98EDC810D.jpeg

326AEBD6-2084-41BA-A57E-7E3101964789.jpeg

32F97408-637E-436F-83DE-E2260028BA3B.jpeg

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I love it, it’s super pretty specially when the blues kick on. But even in normal light, it has a very nice mint green to it. I don’t know much about them, but I am reading about them :). I have never seen one quite that large, (meannng they are usually just small crabs). However, do to much love they saved it for me, knowing it would be a gem to me.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Yay it’s been official moved and I’m within the rules. Thanks for keeping, it and the new scolys are doing good. Heard from others that hydnophora have very long stinging cells, hmmm should I move it from where it’s at? It’s next to some other Acros and my Maximus clam and some others but had some distant between them. Probably close to 2 inches around roughly.

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, this thread does have a lot to it.

I'm glad the tank didn't suffer from the "unauthorized addatives."

I hope your brother gets his act together for the kids. If he did that behind your back there is no telling what else was going on while you were at work. You are a very good aunt for taking care of the kids. At least they have a positive roll model.

I would move the hydnophora if it were me. They have a very nasty sting and the sweepers can reach out pretty far. I'm thinking 6 inches or so but it's been years since I had one so I can't remember.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello lol

Yes this thread has gone from tank emergency to every which direction. I should have named it My tank and I. I try to keep it within the scope of the forum, yet it’s the first time I have been through this. People’s advice and thoughts on here really made a huge difference. Knowing other people had the same views that I have means a lot to me.

Plus if I can make one person smile, or relieve stress or help at least one person a day, then it makes a difference. I have always cared about people, but also care how they see me as a whole. It also was able for me to show that some lfs truly care about their customers. It was a truly amazing how they have helped me.

In how any of this matters, I strongly believe that by caring for our tanks, can make us better people and enjoy little things. Do to school and work, I don’t be get out much with friends, but it’s nice to know there are tons on here. But as much as it made me panic, my nephews urinating in my sump tank, did a few things. It made me realize how many people on here really care and generally care about others and our little critters. It also is nice to see that some very hard decisions I had to make, were the same as others, we have more in common then we think.

With that short novel (sorry), and the fact I had to roll myself a few times through rolling pins to get all the saltwater out of me, things are looking up. Excited to see the next stages of the tank and it’s adventures. I am not sure if I should try and create my build thread through this thread (since people have enjoyed it, yay) or start a new one. Either or it will be an adventure worth traveling.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back