Urgh seriously.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Lol @Fin clearly your not the only one. Tried two companies already and they will not move large aquariums. Been referred to a few others, and the aquarium (to see who they use).
I'd love to come handle it for you, but I don't think you could afford my hourly rate! :p

Do you have any friends that work heavy industry? You may be able to find someone who is certified as a fork lift operator to give you a hand.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

No it has been shipped and fedex twice but I was at work. Lol I wasn’t even notified that it was out for delievry. But will have it staged in my garage till I figure out what im doing. However fedex says I need to hire a fork lift since (how my garage is set up with other houses it’s like 4 feet long literally. So they tried to deliver it but didn’t have enough room to maneuver the fork lift. They suggested I rent one (or theirs doesn’t fit why would a rental fit (am I missing the obvious here). So working on finding a truck which they said they would load it there but I’m on my own at my house. This tank if I remember correctly from box weight weighs almost 1200 pounds. I thought it would be much lighter but came by fedex ground freight section. I don’t know enoungh people to help lift it errr twice. But can leave it for 90 days and I’m trying to work with them.
Request a truck with a lift gate for delivery and you should be good. If you need an expert I can help you...for a fee...seriously I am only 5 hours North and I have rented forklifts in Boise to deliver 16' long tanks I made for a customer. Otherwise rent a trailer and have them load it on to the trailer for you at the terminal. You can haul it behind your SUV from the FED EX ground terminal. Lots of ways to skin the cat. 1200lbs is no joke though be careful. I handle stone slabs that big weekly with our forklift. If you know what you are doing you can "slide" the tank off the trailer on to the concrete without damage. Use a tilt bed trailer for the slide trick. Works great.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Good morning dear friends,

Been sick and so havnt been on much. Buuuuuuut lol I did find an amazing bumper sticker :). Really made
me Laugh :). Was on the back of a car (which my brother took a pic of and sent to me :). Kinda spilled my cold glass of milk from laughing.

20B63D53-A975-47B4-9704-88D99BC8CC8D.png

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

So I’m conducting an experiment that should be fun and definitely answered. With out do delay (if anyone can tell me how to do a poll on here (well then bobs definitely your uncle), but would be handy.

I’m dying to know how many smarties does one need to eat to counter the effects of sucking on three dum dums? See pics for reference :) I can’t figure out how to do a poll on here. (Yes I know how to do an actual one but thought we had the options to add one). I forever be haunted for not knowing computers and smart phones well.

0425F74F-16E7-40F1-BD53-1D5F2BB0B831.jpeg 6736E65B-F014-47D2-BCBD-D263749D24E2.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

On a odd moment I started thinking more and more about my new tank and how I wanted it to be better (every ones vision right). Love the way my 240 is, would never change it. Yet I really wanna hide anything non living on my new tank. Wave makers lights etc etc pick an option. The problem is one really can’t obstruct the wave makers pulling water in. Secondly, maintence they have to be cleaned etc. Third my tank is already made and shipped and sitting at FedEx till next Thursday.

With that said I can’t per say change the tank, which I’m eager to see and take a bath in. But it doesn’t have overflow boxes like my 240. If I do the new house I could make this a 365 or like my 240 because again the overflow is at the top and everything goes through the center per say. (Hard to describe) but put simply you can’t tell or see an over flow box etc. Now as much as a pain as mixed reefs are, I love them. But learned from my 240 that keep sps along with lps and softies doesn’t always work aka bubble tip anemones don’t do well in super clean water with sps. But I still want to hide all the wave makers everything where if one were to view it, they don’t see any of it. Yes return nozzles etc some minor things people will see. But I want it to be a step up from what I have now. It would be neat to have a separate room just for the sump pipes etc. then the main item in my living room would be the tank. Which that idea isn’t possible with my house now unless I decide I no longer want s garage. Which I do because I hate it when I have to scrape my windows. As suicidale as it may sound I almost want to ask the tank company to rebuild said tank lol (as they smack me with a broom stick), and have them design it where (you have the display then extra sections to put the wave makers in where they are hidden. Problem is (I would have to do in Wall tank (because the sides would be painted or tinted so not tk see equipment. Yes I’m terrible at designs but put simply like picture in picture a tank inside a tank (but still 425 display (which means with the extra would be larger. Or even maybe wave makers exist where they are wireless, and easy to hide.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

On a odd moment I started thinking more and more about my new tank and how I wanted it to be better (every ones vision right). Love the way my 240 is, would never change it. Yet I really wanna hide anything non living on my new tank. Wave makers lights etc etc pick an option. The problem is one really can’t obstruct the wave makers pulling water in. Secondly, maintence they have to be cleaned etc. Third my tank is already made and shipped and sitting at FedEx till next Thursday.

With that said I can’t per say change the tank, which I’m eager to see and take a bath in. But it doesn’t have overflow boxes like my 240. If I do the new house I could make this a 365 or like my 240 because again the overflow is at the top and everything goes through the center per say. (Hard to describe) but put simply you can’t tell or see an over flow box etc. Now as much as a pain as mixed reefs are, I love them. But learned from my 240 that keep sps along with lps and softies doesn’t always work aka bubble tip anemones don’t do well in super clean water with sps. But I still want to hide all the wave makers everything where if one were to view it, they don’t see any of it. Yes return nozzles etc some minor things people will see. But I want it to be a step up from what I have now. It would be neat to have a separate room just for the sump pipes etc. then the main item in my living room would be the tank. Which that idea isn’t possible with my house now unless I decide I no longer want s garage. Which I do because I hate it when I have to scrape my windows. As suicidale as it may sound I almost want to ask the tank company to rebuild said tank lol (as they smack me with a broom stick), and have them design it where (you have the display then extra sections to put the wave makers in where they are hidden. Problem is (I would have to do in Wall tank (because the sides would be painted or tinted so not tk see equipment. Yes I’m terrible at designs but put simply like picture in picture a tank inside a tank (but still 425 display (which means with the extra would be larger. Or even maybe wave makers exist where they are wireless, and easy to hide.
You could get a few of these.
D2A5BEA1-A12A-4B9A-9E71-0A17C77A2719.jpeg

7D3504EB-7A6D-493E-8EAE-27B20656E3E6.jpeg

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could get a few of these.
D2A5BEA1-A12A-4B9A-9E71-0A17C77A2719.jpeg

7D3504EB-7A6D-493E-8EAE-27B20656E3E6.jpeg

That is cool this why this community is amazing. I had no idea they made things like this. Brilliant!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Unless you want to drill the tank and go to a closed loop system I think having visible wavemakers is unavoidable. You can minimize how much is seen though.
Gyres are very low profile for the amount of flow they produce and they can be mounted high in the tank where they draw less attention. It's one of the many things I like about them. I'm not sure anyone notices them or the wires when they look at my tank.
DSC_0026.jpg

Another lower profile option would be the EcoTech MP60's. No cords in the tank at all and since the motor is outside the tank there isn't much in the tank that draws attention to it. If you aquascape your tank right you could probably use 4 to 6 MP40's on the back wall and not have anything on the sides of the tank at all.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hid my closed loop returns at the lower front corners of the tank by hot gluing rubble rock on to some schedule 80 gray 45° fittings. The tank was set up for 12 years and I only lost a couple of pieces of rubble. They really were pretty well hidden once the sand was added and GSP covered the rubble. The other side had some softies growing on it.

ReturnHead1a.jpg

I only drilled one hole in my 140 for the closed loop. The 2" drain in the back. The four returns were over the top. The two front returns were done with black PVC down the back of the tank alongside the overflows and under the sand bed to the lower front corners. The two upper front corners were just run inside of the canopy and dipped down with some OceansMOtions Omni-Flex Nozzles. Those were visible, but not a focal point, since they were gray in color. I really wasn't worried about those showing.

ReturnHeads4.jpg

140-9-29-09.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hid my closed loop returns at the lower front corners of the tank by hot gluing rubble rock on to some schedule 80 gray 45° fittings. The tank was set up for 12 years and I only lost a couple of pieces of rubble. They really were pretty well hidden once the sand was added and GSP covered the rubble. The other side had some softies growing on it.

ReturnHead1a.jpg

I only drilled one hole in my 140 for the closed loop. The 2" drain in the back. The four returns were over the top. The two front returns were done with black PVC down the back of the tank alongside the overflows and under the sand bed to the lower front corners. The two upper front corners were just run inside of the canopy and dipped down with some OceansMOtions Omni-Flex Nozzles. Those were visible, but not a focal point, since they were gray in color. I really wasn't worried about those showing.

ReturnHeads4.jpg

140-9-29-09.jpg

Hello,

Wait a cotton picking minute when did your tank go wet lol. Where have I been? Wow it’s sooooo amazing @Fin.

@Brew12 yes I am starting to lean in a few areas of ideas. I do want to be super creative with the larger one. Problem is I know I took 3 semesters of flow dynamics for physics. Sadly errrrrrr of all the books I still have I can’t find them. So I am trying to do the math but it’s always gonna change do to the corals growing. Even my 240 seems challenging with a bunch of small ones lol. It’s now getting to the point of sharing that I have to turn the center light brights on.

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Wait a cotton picking minute when did your tank go wet lol. Where have I been? Wow it’s sooooo amazing @Fin.

@Brew12 yes I am starting to lean in a few areas of ideas. I do want to be super creative with the larger one. Problem is I know I took 3 semesters of flow dynamics for physics. Sadly errrrrrr of all the books I still have I can’t find them. So I am trying to do the math but it’s always gonna change do to the corals growing. Even my 240 seems challenging with a bunch of small ones lol. It’s now getting to the point of sharing that I have to turn the center light brights on.
That is my old tank. The 140. I tore it down 2 years ago, thinking I would have the Reef Savvy up and running within months. Ha! Still dry and collecting dust now.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is my old tank. The 140. I tore it down 2 years ago, thinking I would have the Reef Savvy up and running within months. Ha! Still dry and collecting dust now.

Hello,

Still a lovely tank but ooops I promise I pay attention to things just sorta missed that one. I have missed you though and how is your mom and wife doing? Hopefully much better.

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Still a lovely tank but ooops I promise I pay attention to things just sorta missed that one. I have missed you though and how is your mom and wife doing? Hopefully much better.
Not really better, but hanging in there. Thanks for asking though.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

So I’m am at an odd point with my 240. For example I have a forest fire digi and I have fragged it and placed it in other places from the mother colony. Water parameters are in check and the other fragged sections are doing great. But now the mother colony is having issues and I have no idea why.

The same thing is happening with for example my Miami hurricane. It was doing great and again there are other ones next to it doing just great. But the mother colony is having issues and I don’t know why. Honestly too exhausted to research why. But it wouldn’t make any sense to change water parameters, specially that all my other sps are doing well and my hammer is coming back. I did have a small nitrate spike but it wasn’t over 10ppm total from usually 2. Normally the ones mentioned have always been the heartiest. Any suggestions?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Like my transfer, certain coral will challenge the change and will do poorly while others will fair better. It is very similar to a new tank cycling and we can only expect swings in parameters for a short period

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like my transfer, certain coral will challenge the change and will do poorly while others will fair better. It is very similar to a new tank cycling and we can only expect swings in parameters for a short period

Hello,

Sorry I have been up longer than 24 hours so my brain is mush. I think your saying basically check parameters or they caused it and just those ones are reacting to it. How do I stop them from dying? Everything else is doing well so I think changing water parameters may make others react as well?

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Maybe this already exists or ways to tell, but is there away to tell if your corals are starving lol? This may sound like (crazy question and make some wonder about my thought process and how to take care of a reef lol), but in seriousness, one day things are great and the next they are not. What parameters are on,
Nothing has changed and like noted above the mother colony is struggling but none of the fragged sections are that were done quiet some time ago. It wouldn’t be nice if there was a test to check, (they are not like kiddos and say can I have a Twix for breakfast lol). But my tank use to gobble up alk and calcium. I want to get to that point again. I don’t know maybe turn the brights on higher and turn on the center brights? (Note center lights is 100% blue whites are off. Any suggestions @Brew12 and @saltyfilmfolks @Lasse ? Last time I feed reef roids my tank exploded with phosphates and that’s how all this started. Now I just do fuel twice a week and maybe move the ones have issues to other parts of the tank if possible. The forest fire digi mother just happens to be attached to my clam rock soo that’s a nope. My clam is very happy which means maybe it’s getting too much light (the coral). Yet others are higher up and doing just fine. Curious if a coral dip would help!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello,

Sorry I have been up longer than 24 hours so my brain is mush. I think your saying basically check parameters or they caused it and just those ones are reacting to it. How do I stop them from dying? Everything else is doing well so I think changing water parameters may make others react as well?
It will. You can add aminos, verify salinity and moderate water flow. And, if you haven’t yet- add carbon ir better yet ..... ChemiPure Blue

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will. You can add aminos, verify salinity and moderate water flow. And, if you haven’t yet- add carbon ir better yet ..... ChemiPure Blue
Salinity issues caught me off guard. Sometimes we miss the simple stuff trying to be too complex in our thinking. I would not worry about PO4 and NO3, those are just nutrients for corals in my mind.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 74 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 68 34.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back