Uronema becoming big problem these days? (Aside from chromis)

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea that is so true!!!! Glad you guys are trying to figure this out and sharing the information with us!
There are no secrets here. We are constantly trying new things. If CP was more readily available it would fix alot of things. The other problem is that not all Genus will tolerate CP. Our main goal is to help hobbyists as a whole combat this. So we are trying to come up with a solid prophylactic treatment that the fish will tolerate and all bases are covered.

I think QTing smaller orders is probably a bit easier because you have the "luck of the draw" factor when dealing with less fish.

This virulent uronema strain I have in one of the tanks now is no joke. Never would have thought it could take fish as fast as it was. Hard lesson learned.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why doesn't @Paul B have any of these problems?
Because Paulb doesn't add fish frequently. He also keeps very hardy parasite resistant fish. (Other than the cool pipefish).

Don't get me wrong I have respect for Paul. He has a very mature unique aquarium. It may be able to be repeated. I'd say chances are less likely currently if you start from scratch and the condition of our current distribution system. @4FordFamily practiced ich management for years and years. But as someone who is always upsizing or adding tanks and increasing livestock it got to the point a few years ago he decided it was no longer worth risking not properly QTing from the beginning.

Pauls aquarium has been running for 100 years and most of his fish have birth certificates from the 70s. :)

I don't know where Paul sources fish when he does add them. This could be a factor as well.

lactose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm revising my current QT process from ttm which is just too much for larger fish - for me at least. I'm looking to follow your other thread with your current QT process you described.

With what you are seeing / learning here does this change the QT process as described?

Quick read here tells me either adding or changing metro and metro soaked foods in first 14 days but not sure that's right.

again thanks for sharing everything you're learning out in the open

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity..... imo doesn't it seem a bit shady to medicate fish at the wholesaler with just enough meds to suppress the disease long enough for the LFS to receive the specimen? Than the LFS is stuck with a dead fish with no refund, or us the consumer.......imo I always was leary of buying fish from a LFS that ran low level copper in their tanks to mask diseases.... that's why all you guys say never trust a LFS to do the QT for you.....[emoji6]

There's always more than one way to look at something. The objective of collectors, wholesalers and LFS is to move fish further down the supply chain ASAP. Using subtherapeutic copper cuts down on their losses, without having to deal with the side effects of full-blown copper. One way to make the best of this situation is find out what copper product + copper level your LFS is running. Set your QT to match, slowly raise the Cu level to therapeutic, and finish the job they started for you. :)

Why doesn't @Paul B have any of these problems?

Many people have tried to duplicate Paul's methods/success and have failed. One reason could be that many are not willing to limit themselves to his fish livestock choices. o_O

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since this is becoming a popular uronema thread, below is what uronema will look like under a microscope if you take a skin scrape:

sp_2.jpg
uron-250.gif
sp_1.jpg
sp_4.jpg

I will post this info to the uronema sticky as well, when I update it.

Rython

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got 3 resplendent anthias from LA last week that seemed healthy upon arrival but all died within 2 days. I have 3 more coming from divers den on Thursday. Was hoping to have better luck with DD over LA. Should I be concerned and start treating with metro immediately just in case? I plan on doing TTM.

All the anthias I lost to suspected Uronema came from DD. I didn't scope them, so it's possible it was a bacterial infection with very similar markings, but they died with that same mouth open pose and line shaped hemorages.

The last 3 I bought from regular LA and they were asymptomatic. I treated them immediately with trifecta just in case though.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the anthias I lost to suspected Uronema came from DD. I didn't scope them, so it's possible it was a bacterial infection with very similar markings, but they died with that same mouth open pose and line shaped hemorages.

Wow, it's shocking that DD would have uronema in their systems. :eek: The open mouth thing is a classic symptom of uronema in postmortem chromis damsels.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of those vendors are just removing the guarantees altogether, or altering them significantly. Most wholesalers only ensure they aren’t DOA to the LFS— anything after that is on the LFS. So I hope you’re right that LFS and retailers get to a point that they’ve had enough!

No guarantees _and_ I can't watch it swim / see it feed in their tanks prior to purchase?

That's gotta be the very best way to revive the LFS business model. I may not get a guarantee from the LFS, but at least I get a chance to evaluate the fish before payment.

~Bruce

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The last 3 I bought from regular LA and they were asymptomatic. I treated them immediately with trifecta just in case though.
That’s not good guess I’ll start treating right away just in case.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. Thanks. Should I have the metro already in the TTM tanks before putting the fish in?

Yes, predose the water before moving the fish. Keep metro going the entire time you are performing TTM. This strategy should eliminate all parasites EXCEPT Marine Velvet Disease. You’d have to have copper or CP in the water at all times to address that pathogen.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A local LFS I rescued 4 fish from yesterday. A copperband I couldn’t turn down because it was eating voraciously and very large, a magnificent foxface, Caribbean blue tang, and a small Desjardini Sailfin tang. I couldn’t help it I was able to help them and I wanted them anyway.

But there was a purple tang there so badly afflicted with velvet, see photo below. I’m sure the fish I bought have it too but I’ll give them a chance. The store assured me this purple would survive because he is “in copper” (an amount they could not inform me because they didn’t know). After an argument with them and offering to buy it for a tiny fraction of the $180 they wanted I gave up. I’m sure it’s gone now :(

EFB7364B-25A3-486C-B15E-82D25E5E422F.jpeg

26173904-64CA-4CD9-8836-4AD936B7FB5F.jpeg

Velvet doesn’t get much prettier than that!

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d rather have anything but Uronema. I hate Brooklynella too.

Uronema is a pain in the rear....seriously. When it goes full throttle...watch out! It is almost impossible to stop. It’s definitely one parasite that baffles my mind.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since this is becoming a popular uronema thread, below is what uronema will look like under a microscope if you take a skin scrape:

sp_2.jpg
uron-250.gif
sp_1.jpg
sp_4.jpg

I will post this info to the uronema sticky as well, when I update it.

Here’s some clear video of Uronema.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 73 46.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.9%
Back