Uronema becoming big problem these days? (Aside from chromis)

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing @Reefahholic . Thank you for sharing the video. Believe thats the first time I have seen uronema under microscope .

So am really baffled and confused now - @Humblefish - are we saying that uronema can happen in any fish even tangs ? Any chances of them remaining internally even after prophylactic treatment with metro for 14 days ?

I feel sick to the core now !

Regards,
Abhishek

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So am really baffled and confused now - @Humblefish - are we saying that uronema can happen in any fish even tangs ? Any chances of them remaining internally even after prophylactic treatment with metro for 14 days ?

Any fish can be a carrier of (and even afflicted by) brook and/or uronema. It's just more likely to impact clownfish (brook) or chromis damsels (uronema). Uronema is especially tricky because the disease can spread internally. Any fish infected with uronema should be fed food soaked with metronidazole, and Seachem Focus can be used to bind the medication to the food.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any fish can be a carrier of (and even afflicted by) brook and/or uronema. It's just more likely to impact clownfish (brook) or chromis damsels (uronema). Uronema is especially tricky because the disease can spread internally. Any fish infected with uronema should be fed food soaked with metronidazole, and Seachem Focus can be used to bind the medication to the food.

And this should be done prophylactically as part of qt process ? I have always dipped them in Nitrofuracin green bath, then prazi for 7 days followed by copper fo 30 days . So now we should include metroidazole with copper ?

Regards,
Abhishek

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And this should be done prophylactically as part of qt process ? I have always dipped them in Nitrofuracin green bath, then prazi for 7 days followed by copper fo 30 days . So now we should include metroidazole with copper ?

Well, treating with copper only addresses ich + velvet. You'd have to combine metro with copper to also treat brook + uronema. Those two diseases used to be not-so-common, but our friends at the wholesale facilities like to keep us on our toes. :p

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, treating with copper only addresses ich + velvet. You'd have to combine metro with copper to also treat brook + uronema. Those two diseases used to be not-so-common, but our friends at the wholesale facilities like to keep us on our toes. :p

I might just give up with my pathetic knowledge of qt and might as well rely upon you to send me qted fishes devoid of all these nonsense !

Regards,
Abhishek

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might just give up with my pathetic knowledge of qt and might as well rely upon you to send me qted fishes devoid of all these nonsense !

I'm trying, my friend. I got my butt kicked hard the first go around. But with help from my guinea pigs... I mean FRIENDS @HotRocks @4FordFamily :D ... I think we are getting closer to breaking the code. ;)

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying, my friend. I got my butt kicked hard the first go around. But with help from my guinea pigs... I mean FRIENDS @HotRocks @4FordFamily :D ... I think we are getting closer to breaking the code. ;)

Give me a month or so and I am ready anyway to be your gineapig .. any day better than my qt process !

Regards,
Abhishek

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This QT has been a nightmare honestly. I reefed back in the late 90s and 2000s. It was pretty ez with fish. These days bacterial infections are everywhere and I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s misidentified instead of uroema.

All fish I lost in QT were from the red marks [emoji79] or mouth infections

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This QT has been a nightmare honestly. I reefed back in the late 90s and 2000s. It was pretty ez with fish. These days bacterial infections are everywhere and I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s misidentified instead of uroema.

All fish I lost in QT were from the red marks [emoji79] or mouth infections

Just a few years ago I performed TTM + Prazipro on all the fish for my personal tank: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/humblefishs-150-gal-mixed-reef.189950/

I was primarily only worried about ich + flukes. Nowadays I wouldn't even consider that passive of a QT protocol. Things have changed. :(

ThaBeast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I recently (11/28) received 7 bimac anthias from QM. Within 72 all were dead. Most of them had the red slashmarks indicating uronema. I have a thread elsewhere about a flame wrasse in the shipment I exposed to the infected anthias in QT. The flame wrasse appears to be ok at this time and is 10 days into copper treatment. I have battled ich and velvet so many times all my fish go thru 30 days of copper before I remove them from the quarantine room. Invertsand coral Frags spend ninety days in coral QT now. Honestly i think it is so tough to get decent livestock I have contemplated exiting the hobby a few times recently.

If I hadn’t read the thread about the Hanna copper checker here on this forum I would have quit at the beginning of 2018, I appreciate everyone here sharing their knowledge and experiences

Last edited:

DarkSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like I should be using some metro bound food on top of what I'm already doing. Can it be dosed at the same time as general cure?

Tft12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My standard qt regimen included prophylactic treatment for Uronema for many years. I dropped it off for the last couple years...now I feel very lucky.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like I should be using some metro bound food on top of what I'm already doing. Can it be dosed at the same time as general cure?
You can feed metro+focus during GC treatment, yes.

PookieGV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can metro (in water) and copper be done at the same time?

Yesterday, lactose asked this question and got a “yes” answer from Humblefish. Does it matter what kind of copper? I am currently using cupramine?

I feel like I understand the individual treatments, but mixing meds and techniques is definitely next level stuff.

This has turned into a really good thread.

Fastpitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So having already lost one chromis in my current QT batch to suspected uronema, I gotta wonder what is first priority in QT? Especially if you suspect you have multiple afflictions. Copper?, Food Metro? Water Metro?, Prazi? Hammer them with all the above out of the gate? And NFG on deck?

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So having already lost one chromis in my current QT batch to suspected uronema, I gotta wonder what is first priority in QT? Especially if you suspect you have multiple afflictions. Copper?, Food Metro? Water Metro?, Prazi? Hammer them with all the above out of the gate? And NFG on deck?

I'd do food with Metro and Water with API GC for Chromis to get the party started. :p

Fastpitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd do food with Metro and Water with API GC for Chromis to get the party started. :p

Yes. That is what I am leaning to. Hammer them out of the gate. But ramping the copper slowly. We'll see if that puts my next planned QT of Angels in a bad mood.

Back