Uronema identification

Alexgar224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got this Sunburst Athena from my LFS and I just noticed this white back in its side! When I got him it was super small but over the days it’s gotten larger and I wanted to see if someone could help me identify if it was uronema or a bacteria infection?

I’m really hoping it’s just bacterial… I’m not ready to break this tank down and start over lol

IMG_1590.jpeg IMG_1582.jpeg IMG_1581.jpeg IMG_1584.jpeg IMG_1580.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I just got this Sunburst Athena from my LFS and I just noticed this white back in its side! When I got him it was super small but over the days it’s gotten larger and I wanted to see if someone could help me identify if it was uronema or a bacteria infection?

I’m really hoping it’s just bacterial… I’m not ready to break this tank down and start over lol

IMG_1590.jpeg IMG_1582.jpeg IMG_1581.jpeg IMG_1584.jpeg IMG_1580.jpeg
Unfortunately the shape and protruded scales do suggest uronema. This can be triggered by low salinity levels as well as excess food waste on tank bottom which this protozoan can feed on as often prevention can be more valuable than cure for this.
Fish will have to be quarantined and treated with formalin based treatment which is harder to find, so next option is Ruby rally Pro. Chloroquine Phosphate will also work but must be used precisely. Uronema is not an obligate parasite, and can thrive on bacteria, uneaten food, and waste so besides treatment also maintain a clean tank removing waste daily.
To touch up more on this disease which is an oval ciliated motile protozoan that causes tissue necrosis as seen on fish.
What other fish are in the tank?

OP
OP
Alexgar224

Alexgar224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tail spot blenny, redfin wrasse and a diamond goby! And sadly I don’t have a QT tank! my plan is to just donate this fish to a LFS and then start over! Unless I can dose medication directly to the DT!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have a tail spot blenny, redfin wrasse and a diamond goby! And sadly I don’t have a QT tank! my plan is to just donate this fish to a LFS and then start over! Unless I can dose medication directly to the DT!
Ruby rally pro can be used direct in tank with coral but will take longer to work

OP
OP
Alexgar224

Alexgar224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So If I dose the ruby rally to the tank will it eradicate the uronema or just keep it under control, kinda like keeping ich under control?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So If I dose the ruby rally to the tank will it eradicate the uronema or just keep it under control, kinda like keeping ich under control?
Statistically, Anthers tend to get Uronema - so when a lesion appears, it's tempting to say its uronema - which is usually very difficult to treat once its internal. You can use Ruby Rally Pro to treat in the display as already mentioned - however, I'm not sure there is any evidence that all of the uronema in the tank will be killed. Uronema can live in a tank and not cause any problems, as far as I know, there is no way to completely eradicate it (and once its eradicated, it can come back when you buy something new). @Jay Hemdal has written an article on this (I believe).

PS - on your fish - to me there are some white spots on the tail - however - there are also spots on the glass so it may be an illusion

OP
OP
Alexgar224

Alexgar224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Statistically, Anthers tend to get Uronema - so when a lesion appears, it's tempting to say its uronema - which is usually very difficult to treat once its internal. You can use Ruby Rally Pro to treat in the display as already mentioned - however, I'm not sure there is any evidence that all of the uronema in the tank will be killed. Uronema can live in a tank and not cause any problems, as far as I know, there is no way to completely eradicate it (and once its eradicated, it can come back when you buy something new). @Jay Hemdal has written an article on this (I believe).

PS - on your fish - to me there are some white spots on the tail - however - there are also spots on the glass so it may be an illusion
Yeah, this fish also has ich too…. Which also showed up pretty soon after purchase and introduction to the tank. I got hosed by the LFS I bought this fish from. When I bought the fish they said he/she was eating and when I introduced to the tank it wasn’t eating. when I called them they said that actually it was indeed not eating when they had it, said good luck and then hung-up….

So basically this fish introduced everything bad into the tank at once lol

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, this fish also has ich too…. Which also showed up pretty soon after purchase and introduction to the tank. I got hosed by the LFS I bought this fish from. When I bought the fish they said he/she was eating and when I introduced to the tank it wasn’t eating. when I called them they said that actually it was indeed not eating when they had it, said good luck and then hung-up….

So basically this fish introduced everything bad into the tank at once lol

Sounds like a real solid LFS (grin).

Uronema lesions are usually pink/red, but I do see cases where they are whiter, so I can't rule it out here. It is not very contagious fish-to-fish, so if you see ich on the fish, you should focus on treating that.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back