Uronema in Hospital Tank

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two fish in a hospital tank currently being treated with Rally Pro because the Royal Gramma has a gash in his side. The Vanderbilt Chromis has come down with uronema. I am going to euthanize him. How do I deal with the Gramma now being exposed to uronema? I have two Blue Green chromis in my DT. The Royal Gramma will still need to have the full QT treatment. They had only been in full copper for one day before I had to switch to Rally Pro.

#jayhemdal

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uronema is almost impossible to treat. But the good news is that uronema is not highly contagious. The bad news is that some species including chromis are highly susceptible to the infection. I would just monitor and be aware of the symptoms and risks.

OP
OP
Sebastiancrab

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay, would you recommend I go ahead an euthanize this fish? I am concerned about having him in the same tank with a royal gramma which has a gash on his side. Rally Pro is in the tank now.

1694547320391.png
1694547356764.png

@Jay Hemdal

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay, would you recommend I go ahead an euthanize this fish? I am concerned about having him in the same tank with a royal gramma which has a gash on his side. Rally Pro is in the tank now.

1694547320391.png
1694547356764.png

@Jay Hemdal
That isn’t a typical location for a Uronema lesion, but it could be. Is the fish still eating? If so, I would hold off euthanizing it.
Why did you change from copier to rally pro? Neither works for Uronema, but copper is better for controlling other protozoans.

Jay

OP
OP
Sebastiancrab

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That isn’t a typical location for a Uronema lesion, but it could be. Is the fish still eating? If so, I would hold off euthanizing it.
Why did you change from copier to rally pro? Neither works for Uronema, but copper is better for controlling other protozoans.

Jay
I am going to hold off euthanizing it. A friend just told me that he has had several fish like this and the diet needs to be varied more.

I just got the gramma and chromis last Thursday and started with copper, normal QT, this past weekend. The gramma developed the side gash yesterday so I switched to Rally. Now the chromis has this red area today.

OP
OP
Sebastiancrab

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
It died during the night.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back