OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have MetoPlex and Focus...so whatever the infection seems to be...I'll start a course tomorrow...of course, other fish will eat it too...the bf generally eats live little-necks and cyclops...because of his small mouth...which do you think will be best...other fish are chromies, Kole, firefish, Singapore, Niger and diamnd goby...

I would also dose/food soak Kanaplex, as Metroplex is limited to only treating anaerobic bacterial fish diseases.

Congaken

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also dose/food soak Kanaplex, as Metroplex is limited to only treating anaerobic bacterial fish diseases.
since I don't have Kanaplex...I'll start tomorrow with Metro...I can pick up the other on Monday...I think...if the Metro does the cure, should I just stay with that?...:confused:

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made the following edit to the uronema sticky:

EDIT: A fish infected with uronema should also be fed food soaked with metronidazole because the disease can spread internally. Seachem Focus can be used to bind the medication to the food.

Congaken

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made the following edit to the uronema sticky:

EDIT: A fish infected with uronema should also be fed food soaked with metronidazole because the disease can spread internally. Seachem Focus can be used to bind the medication to the food.
This is useful because there have been no outward signs of what was suspected of velvet...only the occasional flashing...as you know, I have not taken all of the fish out of the DT, but everyone seems happy and is eating so far...will the metro help with this...I'm using it for what MIGHT be belly worms in the tang...

Congaken

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is useful because there have been no outward signs of what was suspected of velvet...only the occasional flashing...as you know, I have not taken all of the fish out of the DT, but everyone seems happy and is eating so far...will the metro help with this...I'm using it for what MIGHT be belly worms in the tang...
Of course I already know the answer..."no"...

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Metro dosed into the water only treats brook & uronema, not velvet.

MyLittleReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40E5B7C3-BECD-4D3E-BF5A-B792BEAD0A99.jpeg
580FBC8A-AA76-4B87-8800-95C13F43D721.jpeg
1E42CEE8-442B-499C-B732-9A7397B841D4.jpeg
Think this is urenema? What do the survival rates look like when treating uronema?

-Wild clowns
-Hospital tank (just moved them from an older hospital tank with other fish to a clean/sterile tank - had them for 48 hours now)
-Freshly mixed saltwater
-Stability added
-Temp 76-77
-Aerating
-Were eating the first day, now not interested. Bigger one with the hint of red rash was lethargic and that was the deciding factor to move to a sterile tank.
-No longer behaves lethargic (an hour and a half into the move)
Treating with:
CP at 50mg/gallon
Kanaplex
Metroplex

MyLittleReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are still not interested in food (small TDO or R.O.E.), fins are clamped, but they aren’t extremely lethargic. Medicating the food doesn’t seem productive at the moment if they aren’t interested. Has anyone successfully treated a fish for uronema?

boozeman27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are still not interested in food (small TDO or R.O.E.), fins are clamped, but they aren’t extremely lethargic. Medicating the food doesn’t seem productive at the moment if they aren’t interested. Has anyone successfully treated a fish for uronema?
I have successfully treated my blue chromis but with CP not Kana and metro. He is finally fat and happy in my display after 3 months in QT. The first few months were treating with different stuff (Prazi, Metro, etc) while trying to source CP. Eventually I got my vet to see him and prescribe me CP. Dosed 60mg/gallon for 30 days. Red sores went away and He has now been in my DT for about 2 months. Absolutely no signs of the disease, eating like a pig and has probably doubled in size. A lot of time and money spent on a $4 fish hahaha.

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have successfully treated my blue chromis but with CP not Kana and metro. He is finally fat and happy in my display after 3 months in QT. The first few months were treating with different stuff (Prazi, Metro, etc) while trying to source CP. Eventually I got my vet to see him and prescribe me CP. Dosed 60mg/gallon for 30 days. Red sores went away and He has now been in my DT for about 2 months. Absolutely no signs of the disease, eating like a pig and has probably doubled in size. A lot of time and money spent on a $4 fish hahaha.

I'd like to also share my successful use of CP on chromis. I had lost multiple fish while trying to bring several groups through QT with a very high mortality rate from Uronema; all were from the same LFS and he must have had it in his system. I was not able to complete QT until I procured CP and used it at the recommended preventative rate, switching to the highest dose upon seeing the first sign of a skin lesion. Full group pulled through and they are now in the DT happy and healthy.

MyLittleReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I should up my dose then to full 80mg/gallon. I tried treating six 1” chromis in 50mg/gallon and one by one they all died within a week.

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I should up my dose then to full 80mg/gallon. I tried treating six 1” chromis in 50mg/gallon and one by one they all died within a week.

I was dosing according to these guidelines, referenced in Humblefish's original posts on CP:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2013/2/fish

I may be wrong, but the formula it provides to convert the maximum treatment dosage of 20mg a litre to gallons works out to 120mg a gallon:

1 gallon*20/166= .12g or 120mg

Can someone double check that? Regardlesss, that's the doseage I used for almost 30 days with a successful outcome.

MyLittleReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You dose once and then leave the fish in it for 30 days. Dosage is 40mg/gal for prophylactic treatment; 60mg/gal for fish with visible ich or brook; 80mg/gal for velvet or Uronema marinum. However in theory, anything ≥40mg/gal should get the job done in all cases. I use a $20 digital scale to measure & dose.

That's what I was going by.

3.8 liters = 1 gal
10mg/l = 38mg/gal
15mg/l = 57mg/gal
20mg/l = 76mg/gal

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you suspect a tank had Uronema marinum, in it (It's a QT tank), what the process to clean the QT system? Is there a guaranteed method?
What I do is soak the tank and all accessories in a mild bleach solution for 8 hours, then rinse and let everything dry completely - absolutely no sign of residual moisture.

EddieJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you suspect a tank had Uronema marinum, in it (It's a QT tank), what the process to clean the QT system? Is there a guaranteed method?

I always spray the QT tank and equipment with a bleach solution and then rinse with hot water. Following that I make sure to let everything dry out completely for at least 48 hours. I throw away airline tubing and airstones after each use.

Back