Uronema or injury?

Rolandoon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this Barlet Anthias a couple of days ago and I noticed now that it looked like he was losing scales in a specific area and came across uronema through this forum. It may be hard to tell from the pictures but at least to me it looks a little bit red like is mentioned with uronema. The fish has been eating well but has been hiding a lot. I don’t know if this is because he is new to the tank or could be something more serious. I’m a new reefer so anyone’s insight would be appreciated!

5E71E8C0-D95D-4F90-BE9D-4DAB482B72FB.png

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I bought this Barlet Anthias a couple of days ago and I noticed now that it looked like he was losing scales in a specific area and came across uronema through this forum. It may be hard to tell from the pictures but at least to me it looks a little bit red like is mentioned with uronema. The fish has been eating well but has been hiding a lot. I don’t know if this is because he is new to the tank or could be something more serious. I’m a new reefer so anyone’s insight would be appreciated!

5E71E8C0-D95D-4F90-BE9D-4DAB482B72FB.png
With the elongated oval area, it does appear to be uronema (for future , please post pics under white lighting)
You will want to get Quick Cure. If none, then Ruby rally Pro. Chloroquine Phosphate will also work but must be used precisely. Uronema is not an obligate parasite, and can thrive on bacteria, uneaten food, and waste so besides treatment also maintaina clean tank removing waste daily.
Best treatment choice is a 45 min formalin bath using Quick Cure then finished in a quarantine tank. Once in QT tank, treat and assure that the parasites have been eliminated. You can also soak food in metronidazole . . . Seachem Metroplex for 10-14 days.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

+1 on needing to see the fish under white lights. Is it still feeding well? Do you see any rapid breathing?

Jay

OP
OP
R

Rolandoon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

+1 on needing to see the fish under white lights. Is it still feeding well? Do you see any rapid breathing?

Jay
A9E69F5D-82DA-4DED-94BB-474658D38865.png

under white lights looks almost certainly like uronema… I am going to try to set up a makeshift hospital tank tonight and pull her out. She has been eating very good and doesn’t seem to be breathing heavy but she has been hiding almost all the time aside from coming out to eat

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
looks like uronema. shout slightly odd area how is the fish doing? could also be bacterial

Weeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's Uronema marinum (Uronema) there isn't much time to waste. By the time is presents on the fish's surface, it has usually gone beyond curing. Still, I have known some fish to pull through. I'm not a fan of Mardel's Quick Cure, but am very much behind fish antibiotics. In order of my preference for this disease is: Kanaplex, and Mardel Maracyn Two. Both are absorbed through the fish's skin.

Try to get the fish to eat some antibiotic too, if it is eating. Metronidazole [Seachem Metroplex] controls common bacterial infections in fish. This exerts a bactericidal action on gram positive and some gram negative bacteria. Works best when dosed properly in food (at 0.50% by weight in food). Use Focus or Agar to bind it.

Also, if the fish is eating, be sure to add supplements for an ill fish found in the Fish Nutrition post.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's Uronema marinum (Uronema) there isn't much time to waste. By the time is presents on the fish's surface, it has usually gone beyond curing. Still, I have known some fish to pull through. I'm not a fan of Mardel's Quick Cure, but am very much behind fish antibiotics. In order of my preference for this disease is: Kanaplex, and Mardel Maracyn Two. Both are absorbed through the fish's skin.

Try to get the fish to eat some antibiotic too, if it is eating. Metronidazole [Seachem Metroplex] controls common bacterial infections in fish. This exerts a bactericidal action on gram positive and some gram negative bacteria. Works best when dosed properly in food (at 0.50% by weight in food). Use Focus or Agar to bind it.

Also, if the fish is eating, be sure to add supplements for an ill fish found in the Fish Nutrition post.

Just to caution the OP - "get the fish to eat some antibiotics" is not good advice. These must be dosed properly, and most are dosed as mg of antibiotics per kg of fish weight.
The dose you gave for Metronidazole is correct, but Metronidazole is most effective against protozoans and anaerobic bacteria. Since the lesion is external, it is very unlikely to be an anaerobe. Then, oral medications in fish do not work well for external issues. Metronidazole really only has a use in treating internal (gut) protozoan infections of fish.

Jay

Weeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to caution the OP - "get the fish to eat some antibiotics" is not good advice. These must be dosed properly, and most are dosed as mg of antibiotics per kg of fish weight.
The dose you gave for Metronidazole is correct, but Metronidazole is most effective against protozoans and anaerobic bacteria. Since the lesion is external, it is very unlikely to be an anaerobe. Then, oral medications in fish do not work well for external issues. Metronidazole really only has a use in treating internal (gut) protozoan infections of fish.

Jay
So then you don't think this is Uronema?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So then you don't think this is Uronema?

It may be, the picture isn't clear enough, and then, Uronema is very often mixed with bacteria (one of their food sources) so it becomes a chicken versus egg issue. You were discussing antibiotics and I wanted to clear up the dosing issue. Metronidazole has not cured Uronema in any cases that I've seen. Chloroquine may stop the spread of Uronema between fish and it does help with the external infections.

Jay

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 91 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back