Uronema

SeeFu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it appears that my chromi in the display tank has uronema. What are the issues of continuing to run the display tank without sterilizing it? Are pretty much all future fish I add to the tank doomed to get Uronema?

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's in your system it's likely there permanently without sterilization as it does not require a fish being present to survive. Fish that are most susceptible to uronema (damsels, clownfish, and anthias) will always be at risk. I've read that Uronema marinum may be present in most water; it's just that a healthy immune system in most species prevents it from becoming infected. Sorry to hear that you are dealing with it.

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it appears that my chromi in the display tank has uronema. What are the issues of continuing to run the display tank without sterilizing it? Are pretty much all future fish I add to the tank doomed to get Uronema?

All fish, just as people, have an immune system that is strong or weak based on many health factors. Still, any stress could lower a fish's immune. Bottom line, IMO, the likelihood of all future fish eventually contracting Uronema if it's in your DT is high. I wouldn't chance it. I've dealt with this disease before in my own tank. It can be heartbreaking.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You should treat any fish that has visible symptoms ASAP. Certain fish are more susceptible chromis, anthias, some dwarf angels. But all fish can get it. Usually though most established fish tend to remain immune. I would avoid adding any chromis, anthias, angels if you don’t sterilize.

The only way to get it out of the tank is to sterilize.

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should treat any fish that has visible symptoms ASAP. Certain fish are more susceptible chromis, anthias, some dwarf angels. But all fish can get it. Usually though most established fish tend to remain immune. I would avoid adding any chromis, anthias, angels if you don’t sterilize.

The only way to get it out of the tank is to sterilize.
this is the reason i decided not to get chromis i read they are most susceptible to it

OP
OP
S

SeeFu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what's really depressing is this is literally the first fish i added to teh DT and i treated w/ metro for 13 days prior to adding it to the DT.

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what's really depressing is this is literally the first fish i added to teh DT and i treated w/ metro for 13 days prior to adding it to the DT.

The only thing I've found to be effective is chloroquine phosphate, and even with it once you see the red legions on the outside of the body the fish is generally already doomed.

The good news is that you are at the beginning of stocking your tank, so sterilizing and starting over is not nearly as gut-wrenching as having something appear in a well-established tank.

Here are two very good threads to read and gain some knowledge:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/uronema-eradicate-or-ignore.617375/

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/how-to-properly-quarantine-fish.170878/

OP
OP
S

SeeFu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is it possible sterilize my tank w/o taking all the aquascape out? just dump some bleach in itt and let it run for a few days? then emptty it out and refill with some dechloronizer?

OP
OP
S

SeeFu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing I've found to be effective is chloroquine phosphate, and even with it once you see the red legions on the outside of the body the fish is generally already doomed.

The good news is that you are at the beginning of stocking your tank, so sterilizing and starting over is not nearly as gut-wrenching as having something appear in a well-established tank.

Here are two very good threads to read and gain some knowledge:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/uronema-eradicate-or-ignore.617375/

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/how-to-properly-quarantine-fish.170878/

awesome. i'm going to ttake my chances for a while and just see what happens w/ new additions. maybe in addition to the normal 30-40 day QT I'll also leave them in the tank for an additional 10 days after removal of the copper to get them less stressed and healthier before moving them to DT

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome. i'm going to ttake my chances for a while and just see what happens w/ new additions. maybe in addition to the normal 30-40 day QT I'll also leave them in the tank for an additional 10 days after removal of the copper to get them less stressed and healthier before moving them to DT

QT is always a good idea, but if you truly have uronema in your DT, going fishless will not get rid of it as it does not need a host fish to survive. It can survive in your tank indefinitely and can pop back up when your fish become stressed. Having dealt with this plague before I will advise you to save yourself ongoing heartache and sterilize the tank now. If you're not able to take that road, I agree with @Sierra_Bravo and second using CT. Using CT in your DT will likely kill most/all of your cycled bacteria, but it will nuke the tank and allow you to start over while treating the remaining fish. Keep in mind you'll need to remove any coral, Hippo tang, wrasses and/or CUC you may have in the tank before using CT. Good luck with whatever you decide. I hope all goes well for you.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back