Used Apex EL question

JXNATC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I'm sorry to beat a dead seahorse if this has already been discussed, but I do not see it in previous threads. I recently bought a used Apex EL here on R2R. It came in the mail the other day and I am trying to set it up. However, I never get a blue light to set it up. I have tried resetting numerous times even holding the button for 60 seconds or longer...nothing. When I plug the EB832 in, the EL flashes green-purple-green and then stays solid orange...maybe red. I'm a shade color blind...which is ironically why I want something that will do some of the water testing so I don't have to compare colors on cards like I did 20 years ago.

I've opened a ticket with Neptune and have been advised to hardwire with ethernet and download a browser utility. I've done both of those things. Nothing has changed with the EL and the browser utility does not show anything at all. I cannot log into an Apex.local because I am not sure where, or if, it exists. Has anybody else encountered this? I appreciate any input you can give.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the normal behavior of the reset button:
  • Press & release = Reboot
  • Press & hold 6 seconds = WiFi Setup Mode. The logo will turn blue, then you can connect to its Apex_Setup### WiFi signal, and access the Apex at http://172.16.0.1. No programming is lost.
  • Press & hold 30+ seconds = Factory Reset. The logo will turn red. All programming and settings are wiped out.
If it’s not doing anything, then either you’re not pressing the button in hard enough, or the button is defective.

Not an IT guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From a nerd view apex.local is the address for the units device name. Now I could be wrong not sure how these monitors work but if the device still has the old name you won’t be able to connect through apex.local. Again I can be wrong if the apex was say reefer apex is the name then the local host name is reefer.local

OP
OP
JXNATC

JXNATC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the normal behavior of the reset button:
  • Press & release = Reboot
  • Press & hold 6 seconds = WiFi Setup Mode. The logo will turn blue, then you can connect to its Apex_Setup### WiFi signal, and access the Apex at http://172.16.0.1. No programming is lost.
  • Press & hold 30+ seconds = Factory Reset. The logo will turn red. All programming and settings are wiped out.
If it’s not doing anything, then either you’re not pressing the button in hard enough, or the button is defective.
I'm guessing it's defective then. It doesn't do anything. Thanks!

OP
OP
JXNATC

JXNATC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From a nerd view apex.local is the address for the units device name. Now I could be wrong not sure how these monitors work but if the device still has the old name you won’t be able to connect through apex.local. Again I can be wrong if the apex was say reefer apex is the name then the local host name is reefer.local
I'm wondering if the previous owner needs to delete on their end?

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wondering if the previous owner needs to delete on their end?
That only impacts the Fusion connection, not your local network or the ability to set it to WiFi Setup mode.

Read this FAQ about buying a used Apex:

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing it's defective then. It doesn't do anything. Thanks!
And just to clarify, you're using a paperclip inserted into the small Reset hole on the bottom of the Apex, correct?

1638473114944.png

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a shade color blind...which is ironically why I want something that will do some of the water testing so I don't have to compare colors on cards like I did 20 years ago.
I don't know the first thing about the Apex, but if you end up not using it, you'll want to look into Hanna Checkers. You mix up the water and some reagent, put it in the checker, it reads the color and spits out a number.

OP
OP
JXNATC

JXNATC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know the first thing about the Apex, but if you end up not using it, you'll want to look into Hanna Checkers. You mix up the water and some reagent, put it in the checker, it reads the color and spits out a number.
Thank you. I've been looking at Hannah. That sounds useful.

OP
OP
JXNATC

JXNATC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I saw something different today on the software side. The hardware issue hasn't changed (no blue light, no reset). On the Fusion app, when trying again to establish a connection, I got the following message:

1. Choose Link to Fusion on your Apex dashboard.
2. You'll be provided with a token.
3. Within 10 minutes, enter that token here to link your Apex to Apex Fusion.

Now if I could only access my Apex dashboard...

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is where having an actual Apex display module would have been very useful. Without the display your only chance is to get it to factory reset itself. I do wonder if the problem is with the reset button inside.

OP
OP
JXNATC

JXNATC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a suport call scheduled for Wednesday. We'll see what happens.

Mutton Biryani

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey did you ever figure out what the problem was?
I seem be having the exact same issue. Reset button does nothing. When j connect to the ethernet cable it blinks blue and then changes quickly

OP
OP
JXNATC

JXNATC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to hear that. I had a support call. It took about 1 min for him to diagnose a faulty reset switch. I sent it in and they sent me a different unit. I haven't had any problems since. There was a fee but it was really cheap...especially when you consider I bought it used.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 34.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 23.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back