Used equipment question

boboyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a lot of used equipment (basically got all the accessories and I bought new sand and rocks). First tank!!!!!

the guy got rid of his livestock separately. He told me he had a bubble algae outbreak (not too sure what it’s called). The equipment and the tank was full of coraline among other stuff. I spent hours scrubbing and scraping the tank and making it look new again, cleaned the heater and now I have the powerhead and skimmer to clean too, they’re a little harder to clean tho as it’s not an easy reach surface like the tank and heater. Is there an easier way to clean it or should I not clean it as it may be beneficial to my first cycle? The powerhead has been out of water for 48h and I’m not sure if it decays or will bring bad bacteria. Any help and advice is appreciated!!

hereby attached is the powerhead and my tank I’m slowly filling (still a little cloudy but the sand dust is slowly settling!!) I’m super excited about this! I feel like a 10 year old even tho I’m a grown adult lol

1FFBDE39-A080-4685-AE8C-A8ADE53F0B28.jpeg 44CD5589-46A6-4C8E-8553-E557E76BEC81.jpeg

mb5322

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you could try a vinegar soak, although it may cause magnets to swell in the future. Could also do a diluted muriatic acid soak.

OP
OP
B

boboyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you could try a vinegar soak, although it may cause magnets to swell in the future. Could also do a diluted muriatic acid soak.
Would you even clean it if you were me? Will it make my tank cycle faster if I don’t?

OP
OP
B

boboyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will want to soak pumps in citric acid. They build up over time so every few months pull them out and clean them up
So I did that and it worked amazing! I ran into an issue with the powerhead holder thingy, the problem is that there was a bunch of coraline behind it between the magnets so I cleaned it with a toothpick which after removing coraline I was scrubbing rust... and now it looks like I damaged the magnets a little bit and every time i rinse or wet the magnet with tap water it looks like theres magnet residue coming out from the sides of the magnets. No mater how many times I rinse it in water, right when i dry it the rag becomes black. Is this dangerous for my tank? Like if theres some residue after wetting it and I dont wipe it, once it dries it makes a magnetic dust kind of shape on the sides of the magnet so I'm 1000% sure the black stuff metallic. I dont know if the other side of the magnet will just keep it in place and I dont know if the magnet will keep disintegrating. Maybe I'm overthinking this and looking too closely at every detail? I've googled it and people just say to vacuum wtv heavy metals there is but I dont know if the magnet will keep disintegrating like that over the years. Has anyone ran into the same issues?

On another note : the powerhead I got is very very powerful, it was the only powerhead used in the 10 year old 60-70 gallon tank

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't let any rust into your tank.

What size is this tank? Is it acrylic?

Jebao is a cheap (but solid) pump brand. I have a return pump and one of their slw series powerheads. They both rock.

OP
OP
B

boboyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't let any rust into your tank.

What size is this tank? Is it acrylic?

Jebao is a cheap (but solid) pump brand. I have a return pump and one of their slw series powerheads. They both rock.
glass tank, I was told it was 55gal but someone told me it was 70gal after they measured it. My powerhead is a TUNZE and is apparently very powerful. If anything I guess i should just change the powerhead holder?

Also, a tank cant cycle without a powerhead right? Or is it slowly starting to cycle now?

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get a replacement magnet mount. Tunze does make good pumps, does the pump still work?

Oh so you set this tank up already? Is it just sitting with stagnant water right now? Is there a sump with this tank?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love your tank! It’s very unique!

You can buy a new magnet. The pump brand is Tunze.

OP
OP
B

boboyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get a replacement magnet mount. Tunze does make good pumps, does the pump still work?

Oh so you set this tank up already? Is it just sitting with stagnant water right now? Is there a sump with this tank?
The pump works amazingly!! And yes im slowly filling the tank, about to fill it to the top, about 20L at a time, (I have a very slow ro/di and the waters coming out super cold so it takes a while for the water to heat and mix properly before I dump it in the tank). So yes, stagnant water, getting pretty agitated at least 2-3 times per day (I only started filling it 28 hours ago). No sump but I got some type of skimmer/filter I have no idea how to use, I'm having a friend come over to help me figure it out because he used to be a manager at a reefer store 10 years ago (and owned many tanks).

Is it bad to have stagnant water for the first 2 days as I fill the tank? I have a mixing pump for my salt in a rubbermaid bin thing, I could use that in the meantime or even my powerhead with no magnetic stand thingy, I'm sure I could manage to make a temporary setup just so the water isnt stagnant if thats very bad.

I'd also like to mention that the other end of the magnet that goes outside (of the powerhead) really attracts the magnetic dust I mentioned so I doubt any of it will go in the water if it set it up and ignore the damaged magnets?

OP
OP
B

boboyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before I get bashed for having stagnant water, I turned on the powerhead, fits nicely in a corner without moving for now as I'm going to sleep. I'm sorry if im frustrating or offending anoyne I'm just a super noob and theres million things to know.

Watching the BRS on youtube "5 minute guide for noobs" series gave me a ton of confidence to pull off my 15 year old dream of owning a saltwater tank and made it look easy. I havent even started the cycle yet and im super lost... Still fun and enjoyable :) I'm off work for another 3 weeks so the timing couldnt be any better

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a cool/unique tank design! Once you get livestock in the tank, I would not trust a used heater if I were you.

The @BRS videos are a great place to start for solid info

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back